PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty rating for HID's?

02TafWhtSi
06-20-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm really interestied in HID's for my EP, especially the kit from XenonDepot. My question is:
How difficult is the install for an HID kit? I've never seen it done before and have no experience with lighting other than changing the bulbs. I would like to do this on my own but if necessary I have help just a few towns over (uncle is an ace mechanic). Any opinions would be great!

02TafWhtSi
06-24-2003, 07:41 PM
*bump*

No help guys? Just a simple "Easy" or "Hard" will do... :)

lewjay
06-24-2003, 09:41 PM
It was easy. I can't vouch for Xenon Depot's kit, but mine was pretty much plug and play (suvlights.com). The most difficult part for me was figuring out where to stick the ballasts. I ended up taping them down near the strut towers.

LedFoot
07-06-2003, 07:55 AM
I'm actually in the process of installing some HIDs today. Not the xenondepot ones. The ones I have don't have high-beam. But who needs them right? ;)

I'm sure that the install is the same- fairly straight forward. Literally plug then play. Just handle the bulbs with care. Like lewjay said, the hardest part is figuring out where to put the balast. I would also suggest re-securing things with zippy ties for those wicked bumps in the road.

:WARNING: Once you go HID.... you can't go back! :D

TheWevel
07-06-2003, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't mind getting HIDs but the only thing keeping me away is the insane price. I have too many other (engine) things that I want to do to my car.

Oh well, one of these days.

NemesisITR
07-07-2003, 07:04 PM
The shop that I bought my HIDs from included the install ($515 for hi/lo kit). The only problem they had was that they didnt know that our cars have a positive ground instead of a negative ground. They secured the ballasts with a metal brace near the fender walls....between the fender brace and strut tower.

The kit I have is an SPW kit with Phillips bulbs and Hella ballasts. I wanted the 4800 kit but those bulbs are on back order so they put 7500 bulbs in for right now.

siver-SI
07-07-2003, 07:14 PM
What are car is a positive ground???? If that is true that makes two car my model A and now an EP.

hamproof
07-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by TheWevel
I wouldn't mind getting HIDs but the only thing keeping me away is the insane price.

Trust me. $500 for HID is cheap. OEM from other car manuf. cost more than that. Some european car maker charge $1000 for HID. But in their defence, the OEM HIDs usually come with self-leveling mechanism whereas the aftermarket ones that you see mentioned here do not adjust when your car goes up or down a hilly road.

NemesisITR
07-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Cars made in Europe are positively grounded. So I was told.

siver-SI
07-07-2003, 07:23 PM
I just went out to my car the - terminal is to the car so it is negative ground from what I can see.