PDA

View Full Version : The desire to trade in and trade up

snubnose
06-22-2003, 03:32 AM
I spend a lot of time on car forums thinking about what cars would be nice to own. I have to admit I wonder what it would be like to own a faster, more expensive car.

Some of the cars I read about are the S2000, RX 8, Type S, STI, and G35C.

Maybe it's just boredom and the desire for something "new" that makes me do this.

I am wondering about the people at this forum. What are your experiences trading in a car for another. Have you ever been sorry? Is it possible that a car may be faster and more expensive yet not as good as the one you own? I have no complaints about the Si at all, but I keep thinking about the bigger numbers.

blueiedgod
06-22-2003, 05:47 AM
I am really tempted to trade mine in for Lexus IS 300, there is a rebate to dealer form Toyota. Right now a 5 spd IS300 can be had for $26000 and 3.9% APR. I was originally awaiting release of TSX, but after so many factory defects with the Si, I really think this is my LAST honda. Unless Honda does some of the "number magic" on the TSX, they did on the Si. Example: TSX manual, no navi for $20, 000 is, what I think, a decent price for it.

PBN
06-22-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by snubnose
I spend a lot of time on car forums thinking about what cars would be nice to own. I have to admit I wonder what it would be like to own a faster, more expensive car.

Some of the cars I read about are the S2000, RX 8, Type S, STI, and G35C.

Maybe it's just boredom and the desire for something "new" that makes me do this.

I am wondering about the people at this forum. What are your experiences trading in a car for another. Have you ever been sorry? Is it possible that a car may be faster and more expensive yet not as good as the one you own? I have no complaints about the Si at all, but I keep thinking about the bigger numbers.

I suffer from 'new car fever' quite frequently. Prior to this Si, I owned a 2001 BMW 325Ci. We traded it for two Hondas. I say 'we' as my wife and I decided to have a baby and, of course, the bimmer had to go for a more practical approach to automobiles. So we bought a new CR-V and the Si. That was a year ago.
Now, I've got new car fever again. It's not that I'm unhappy with the Si, just that I want something else. Believe me, unless you own that Si outright, you'll most likely be very disappointed in the trade-in value. I know I was. I looked at a new Jetta 1.8T and got slapped in the face at the $13.5K offer from the VW dealer on my '02 Si [which only has 5K miles on it].
The low-ball offer [only low to me really] has really only fueled my desire to have something 'better' now. Even though the Si is really fine.

Will2K2
06-22-2003, 06:26 AM
SSM TSX 6spd = OWNZ me!!!!!!

Will = New car every 2 years

Civicvtec1ps
06-22-2003, 06:36 AM
ya i feel you..
i had 2002 civic ex for year and half. then traded in for si. eventhough i lost money by trading in..
now im looking at s2000 in 2 years or so.
thats how it is... always want something better.

02TafWhtSi
06-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. "The grass is always greener..." syndrome I guess. At this point for me, only a very fast car will do. No more futzing around with 160, 180, even 200 hp. I would need something much faster than this sport compact market offers.
However, b/c I'm just a lowly college student w/ a God forsaken part time job the only way I could ever park let's say an Evolution, S2000, 350Z, or even an R32 would be a lease. I can only handle so much a month and so financing any one of those cars would kill me. The problem is: where will I be in 3 years? $10K poorer with nothing to show? I just get frustrated thinking about it.
The point is, If I were to trade up, it would HAVE to be something MUCH different from the Si so I can see where the extra $$ is going - like the cars mentioned above :)

Bill Miller
06-22-2003, 08:39 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out here, being significantly older than most Si owners. ;)

I've had 3 Saleens (including a 600 hp monster) , 2 Bimmers (M3 and 540i six-speed), 2 Lexus (SC400 and LS400), a 450 hp RX-7, and a scattering of Mustangs, Chevelles, Camaros, and other lesser cars from my poor college days.

For what it is, the Si is a great little car. Fun to drive, good gas mileage (I average 30-32 mph driving 80 mph to school and back), decent handling, and sufficient power to keep me awake behind the wheel.

Some of the highly modded cars I've owned ended up too tempermental for daily driving, unless your young and into self-inflicted pain. Others were great at completely isolating you from the driving experience (the Lexus).

When I finally get back to working again, I will likely move a little further back up the automotive food chain. Maybe a RX-8, or a 350Z. But for now, the Si is doing exactly what I got it for: Being a fun, trouble-free car that gets decent gas mileage.

Hey, at least it carries my golf clubs easier than my '01 Cobra did. :D

IceD out N CALI
06-22-2003, 09:42 AM
i leased mine early last spring for 3 years, so i'm lookin at less than 2 years left. that time will come relatively fast so in the meantime i'm just looking at some of the cars out there that have potential. I know between now and 2005 they'll be some more interesting stuff out. just have to wait and see what happens:)

Papa Bear
06-22-2003, 11:38 AM
I used to change my vehicles over frequently, but when I bought the SIR, I had a long term vision for it. I plan on keeping this hatch for 8yrs. By that time I will have saved some good cash for a really nice car. I have always wanted a Ferrari but I don't think I would fit in any of their models cause I am 6'2". That problem also excludes the NSX and the S2000 for me. I think if I were to trade the SIR in on something right now, it would have to be the Infinity G35C. I have never driven one but it looks absolutely gorgeous and I think that I would be comfortable in it!

SubliminalSi
06-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Well since im 18 and this is my first car i cant bitch and moan about wanting a new car. But my goal is to have a STI as my next car. If not that, something with a turbo or AWD:D

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
06-22-2003, 12:09 PM
1995- '95 Altima 5spd
1996- '96 Civic EX 5spd
2000- '00 Maxima 5spd
2002- '03 Civic Si 5spd

According to the pattern above i should be getting an '04 Nissan something....probably right....the Infiniti G35 coupe has been calling me since the day it was release.

Now i just need a job.
:(

TrippZ
06-22-2003, 12:34 PM
I would die for an s2000, but its so unrealistic it's not even funny. Hopefully when the trade in value goes up, and my insurance goes down, I can break even (paying ~~$650 for si/insurance, hope to pay ~~$650 a few years later for s2000/insurance... but i doubt thatll happen :()

LordKoo
06-22-2003, 07:25 PM
$$$$ talks, BS walks... If $$$ is no problem for you, Mclaren F1 rules!

andy
06-22-2003, 08:41 PM
It's seems as if I'm headed the opposite way as you guys. ;)
I currently own an '02 wrx, bought it 2 years ago and got
a raw deal (paid MSRP...it had just come out, I *WANTED* it
after I test drove it, etc.) - I've recently decided I'm tired of
paying so much for a car, and I'm hopefully gonna trade it
in on an Si.

Why? I have too many miles (~40K) to sell privately and get
what I owe on the loan. The thing is, having a fast car is
fun...but not fun enough. If I had the money, I'd easily blow
another $5K on this car - exhaust, new turbo, etc. Sure, it
would let me hang with the Evo's and STi's...but for what? I
don't really race (1/4 mile or on the street) and sometimes I
feel like I'm not even using my car for what it is.

I figure that moving "down" to a car with plenty of potential
but not as fast out of the box will let me enjoy the car for what
it is, and maybe give me a chance to slowly work on it over time.
Then, in a couple years, I'll either have a chance to dump some
$$$ into it or go for a newer model (Legacy B4...mmmmmmmm :p :p :p ).

Anyway, I'm now rambling, but just wanted to say don't forget
about the urge to mod, and insurance when looking at these
new sports cars. Even though you think you'll be happy with
13s, you won't. The STi guys are already tinkering, and that's
with them facing knock off the factory floor. It takes money
to go fast, and you're never fast enough. I've realized I just
don't have the $$$ for being that quick. That, and the fact that
my buddies with the 1g dsm's that run 11s really piss me off
($3K car + $3K in mods = sick fastness). :D ;)

Tekdemon
06-22-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by SubliminalSi
Well since im 18 and this is my first car i cant bitch and moan about wanting a new car. But my goal is to have a STI as my next car. If not that, something with a turbo or AWD:D
Well, I would love to own an STi too, but it's just too rich for my blood...

However, once the insurance payment comes in, I'm thinking about looking at some used Subuar WRX'es

Sure, they're ugly, but they make decent power stock(170awhp and I don't really remember the torque #'s), and heck, they have a turbo which can be tuned rather easily...

A used WRX with some tuning can easily eat a new Lancer Evolution(stock of course, once you tune an EVO...), so I'm thinking about going that path.

Of course, it's still a little bit richer than I want, and still more than what the insurance co. is giving me for the Si.

andy
06-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Tekdemon

However, once the insurance payment comes in, I'm thinking about looking at some used Subuar WRX'es

Hey, you want mine? (see post just above)...lol.

A guy I met today has a Vishnu (I think) Stage 2 wrx. That's
a piggy back computer, full exhaust, and boost controller. He
said he ran a 13.7 (in the florida humidity/heat). Those mods
probably cost him ~$1-2K, and he said he could upgrade the
turbo for $1100 (VF30, injectors, fuel pump). Add on a front
mount, and yeah, he could probably hang with an Evo. (Just
giving ya a point of reference...If you know this, disregard my
incoherent ramblings! ;) ) Don't know how familiar you are with
the subies Tek, but check out nasioc.com/i-club.com if you haven't
already.