ssvr6
06-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Holy shit!

Steve

siver-SI
06-22-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Holy shit!

That is what I just said out load too. OK so I am guessing this would be not what to buy mostly if you want to track your car to the track. I can not belive that. I would be talking off tomarrow to be talking with Rota about them paying to fix my car.

andy
06-22-2003, 06:34 PM
FWIW, I have Rota Tarmacs on my car, and have never had a
problem. They haven't seen an autocross, but they have seen
the Tail of The Dragon (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/) and a couple other misadventures.
Obviously, those pictures present a very nasty problem. Ouch!
:o

SHAKEnBAKE
06-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Dammit, I was considering to get them.
I think I heard somewhere that the slipstreams had the same problem, anybody got a say at this?

goy091
06-22-2003, 06:53 PM
how did it happen, youre too quick to blame the wheel.

Steve02Si
06-22-2003, 07:30 PM
junk wheels, get what ya pay for, big surprise :rolleyes:

myeverlovinsir
06-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Man, I swear this post is deja vu!
Man, I swear this post is deja vu!!

Bushido
06-22-2003, 08:25 PM
i believe this happen a long time ago.. i dont remember where i saw it but rota refunded him for his repairs..

IceD out N CALI
06-22-2003, 08:28 PM
yeah i think i saw this before, but in either case, its a pisser for that dude:o

EP3_DC5
06-22-2003, 09:08 PM
There have been a ton of threads about this on other forums. It happened during an autoX event. I believe the wheels somehow developed a stress crack and the aluminum oxidized........and the wheel just gave, under the exteme stress that is put on the wheels during an autoX. Rota fixed the problem, so I do not think that this will happen again. I believe this was a freak accident as well.

02SilverSiHB
06-22-2003, 09:28 PM
deeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmnnnnn :o :eek: :'( :angel:

goy091
06-22-2003, 11:57 PM
i have rotas myself and have taken them on a road course and nothing is the matter with them. even forged wheels will bend/break according to abuse.

todaCspec
06-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by goy091
i have rotas myself and have taken them on a road course and nothing is the matter with them. even forged wheels will bend/break according to abuse.

You've just said it all right there.

SiR Medic
06-23-2003, 08:47 AM
:eek:

ouch.

As far as "abuse" goes, aren't these wheel marketed to those of us who would "abuse" them in this manner?

BlasTech
06-23-2003, 09:05 AM
OK here are my observations:

The pic shows that the break happened on what appears to be a very cold day... imagine the wheels starting off really cold, and then the hard braking temperatures hit it during auto-x. That could cause some pressure on the metal, as one side would be hotter than the other... which usually makes metal "curl".

Also, the picture above shows a load rating of 505kg, which is a little light for a wrx.

Combined with a curbing crack or other flaw, and you have the potential bad situation.

This worries me alot, as my Heliums say 500kg, and our cars are close to the weight of wrx (arent they?). Getting a suspension upgrade should help distribute the load more evenly though, when the right kit comes out... someday... :(

jerky
06-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by goy091
how did it happen, youre too quick to blame the wheel.

yeah, i'm sure i'm taking a wild stab in the dark, but i'm gonna have to blame the wheel on this one.:D

RevEJ1
06-23-2003, 01:01 PM
There have been a ton of threads about this on other forums. It happened during an autoX event. I believe the wheels somehow developed a stress crack and the aluminum oxidized........and the wheel just gave, under the exteme stress that is put on the wheels during an autoX. Rota fixed the problem, so I do not think that this will happen again. I believe this was a freak accident as well.
Right on the money. Rota offered to replace anyone who had a wheel from the same batch, as the crach was the result of a casting flaw. From what I've heard, Rota's customer service is top notch and gave the wrx owner a brand new set of wheels AND replaced all resulting broken/damaged parts.

silver ep
06-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a very isolated incident to me, I'm sure it could happen to any wheel manufacturers.

RockEP_SS**
06-23-2003, 01:49 PM
I think it has something to do with the all the holes that make the wheels universal. It's recommended that you get some hub-centric rings to help relieve pressure on all the holes. Am I makin sense? :o :o :D :angel: :cool:

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

BSEVEER
06-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Not really, no offense:) but it didn't break at that part of the wheel but at the middle of the spokes.:D

FCobra94
06-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
OK here are my observations:

The pic shows that the break happened on what appears to be a very cold day...

Which pic are you looking at? The one where the trees are green and all the windows are down on the WRX (which appears to be in California) or the one where the guy is wearing short-sleeves and holding up whats left of the rim? Not trying to be a smart a$$ but maybe I'm not seeing somethin...plus, it's obviously some sort of flaw in the casting process that appeared to be isolated to that specific batch of wheels. Otherwise, I'm sure people all over the country who auto-x would be buying new wheels as frequently as they do tires and that hasn't been happening.

RockEP_SS**: What exactly do the hub-centirc rings do and what do they look like? I heard them being talked about in another thread and searcched but couldn't really find any info.

Thanks!

BlasTech
06-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
http://home.att.net/~blairphoto/IMG_1830s.jpg

I thought this was snow on the ground...but I could be wrong...I havent seen actual snow in many years. :D

Is that sand? salt flats?

FCobra94
06-24-2003, 01:06 PM
Probably just loose gravel from a parking lot auto-x coarse, I'm assuming...

SHAKEnBAKE
06-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Yep, that's pure concrete.

BlasTech
06-24-2003, 01:10 PM
My laptop contrast is whacked. Now I can tell, its just concrete. :-b

BSEVEER
06-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Just a guess but I'd bet there isn't a whole lot of auto-xing in the snow.;)

02SilverSiHB
06-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by BSEVEER
Just a guess but I'd bet there isn't a whole lot of auto-xing in the snow.;)
I don't know, those Canadians are crazy! :D

Type X
06-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Steve02Si
junk wheels, get what ya pay for, big surprise :rolleyes:

ditto ;)

RevEJ1
06-25-2003, 05:10 PM
I'd take a few sets or Rotas over one set of Volks any day.

Type X
06-25-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by RevEJ1
I'd take a few sets or Rotas over one set of Volks any day.

and end up like the wrx :)

:cool:

i'll stick with the volks

i am sure rotas are good but with the over running of rotas wearing cars today
i am sure there quality control is shit
which u can see by the first post

;)

chet
06-25-2003, 09:47 PM
I have two sets of Rotas: 17" Attacks for daily driving (they've been through one auto-x event) and I run 16" Slips for auto-x now. I haven't had any problems with mine. I haven't heard of an indestructible wheel yet, until then I will stick with what I have. Besides, don't most of think you get what you pay for?? If I wanted wheels that were 1200 for a set of four, I would have bought them. Instead, I got two sets of wheels for that price and no problems yet. No complaints here.

02SilverSiHB
06-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by chet
I have two sets of Rotas: 17" Attacks for daily driving (they've been through one auto-x event) and I run 16" Slips for auto-x now. I haven't had any problems with mine. I haven't heard of an indestructible wheel yet, until then I will stick with what I have. Besides, don't most of think you get what you pay for?? If I wanted wheels that were 1200 for a set of four, I would have bought them. Instead, I got two sets of wheels for that price and no problems yet. No complaints here.
and how many times has this happened to rota wheels, versus the amount of people who have them? This is the first for me.

jerky
06-26-2003, 02:56 PM
it is not just rotas that this has happened to. i heard the same thing happened to a stock s2000 rim. this can happen to anybody who gets a bad batch and/or puts their rims through eXtreme stresses. this can even happen to volks.:D damn type x, you know you want some slips!:p

Type X
06-26-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by jerky
damn type x, you know you want some slips!:p

lol ;)
i was gonna cop a set of them for winter
but i am gonna go with the Factory Package 16"s cause i am going with a wilwood big brake kit and 15's no worky:p

myeverlovinsir
06-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Type X

lol ;)
but i am gonna go with the Factory Package 16"s cause i am going with a wilwood big brake kit and 15's no worky:p

The wilwoods are what I was thinking, let us know the pricing,
and are you installing them yourself? tks.;)

Type X
06-26-2003, 05:33 PM
actually a local member has them and is replacing them with a newer set so i am taking the old ones
if and when he is ready

and he says we can do it ourselves but i might drop it at a shop

SerbiaSi
06-26-2003, 05:48 PM
It is pretty easy... only thing is that you need two people to bleed the brakes...

BSEVEER
06-26-2003, 05:54 PM
You can also bleed the brakes by yourself. Attach a small tube to the end of the bleeder valve and put the other end in a small container containing brake fluid so it can't suck in any air.

02SilverSiHB
06-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by BSEVEER
You can also bleed the brakes by yourself. Attach a small tube to the end of the bleeder valve and put the other end in a small container containing brake fluid so it can't suck in any air.
yeap, they sell them at autozone.

todaCspec
06-27-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Type X

lol ;)

Roll w/16" poon rims, they weigh 13.5 lbs. FP 16" CTR look alikes weigh in at 20 lbs per rim = no,no!

Besides i've got some 16" poon rims 4 sale!

UrbanImport
06-27-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by RockEP_SS**
I think it has something to do with the all the holes that make the wheels universal. It's recommended that you get some hub-centric rings to help relieve pressure on all the holes. Am I makin sense? :o :o :D :angel: :cool:

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

That is incorrect. Those other holes are not lug nut holes. That wheel is Subaru specific, it is 5x100 with a 56.1mm bore. It is made for Subarus and only Subarus.

mental
06-27-2003, 06:32 PM
what the fuck is dragons tail!! sounds alomst tooo interesting... i wanna go there!!!! NOW!!!! can some one explain what it is and where it is and how to get there...

goy091
07-02-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by jerky

yeah, i'm sure i'm taking a wild stab in the dark, but i'm gonna have to blame the wheel on this one.:D

sorry i phrased that wrong, i mean the brand of the wheel. yea i know the wheel let go on that one, but is it really because of the brand of wheel that it broke?

and to everyone on this board, have you had a rota wheel break under normal usage?

UrbanImport
07-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by mental
what the fuck is dragons tail!! sounds alomst tooo interesting... i wanna go there!!!! NOW!!!! can some one explain what it is and where it is and how to get there...

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

NC>*

YooShin
07-08-2003, 03:44 PM
I'm set on getting 17" Rota Attacks. Basically I look at it this way: light weight, mass produced, and low price = mediocre quality. Secret patended forging process, specific to order, light weight, plus racing heritage = volks. Look at the Rays, HREs and Fiske or Tech Arts of the world. Those bad boys cost $$$ for a reason, there top notch. There is not bad batch. To me the Rotas are a step up from Konigs or Velox, and are worth working with for a year while I save for Volk TE37s in black for my vivid blue baby. You get what you pay for.

the JigGa mAn
07-10-2003, 10:14 PM
you dont know the story behind those pictures...

Wrc WRx
07-13-2003, 09:09 AM
That was a very isolated case I have a set of rota

dustinhurley
07-13-2003, 10:50 AM
.....or was it just easier for them to claim all 3 cases were from the same batch?

Wrc WRx
07-13-2003, 03:09 PM
whatever then buy what you will

i trust rotas products:angel: