PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from EPHATCH members!!!

mattyb
06-23-2003, 07:50 AM
So I hear there are 2000 members involved with EPHATCH? I am hoping for some good advice/feedback on a problem I am having with my car. There are two EP's in my family. My mom drives a silver 2002 with 7000 miles on it, and I drive a black 2003 with 4000 miles on it. Earlier in the spring my mom called and explained to me a "hesitation" under acceleration. She doesn't drive hard at all so I didn't pay it much mind. I did begin to pay some attention to it when my car began doing the same thing. More specifically in second gear. In the middle of the power curve where I should feel the most pull there is a peculiar hiccup. Sometimes slighter than others but it is there. I asked my mom if that sounded like what hers was doing and she said yes. So before I call the dealership and get a runnaround I am wondering if any of you have experienced the same problem? Thanks.

Mezri
06-23-2003, 08:21 AM
First question would be what kind of gas are you using? Do you put the cheapest 87 octane in? When I bought mine the dealership actually told me that the computer in this car would adjust and run just fine on 87. After reading on here about peoples exp. with 91-93 I decided to try it out.

It turns out that the computers "adjustment" is actually to retard the timing to prevent knock. You "feel" this as a dip in performance, most notable in first and second gear acceleration.

Try getting as close to empty as you are comfortable with, and then dumping a full tank of Amoco 93 octane "clear" gas in it.

You'll be suprised at the results. Even if youve been using mid-grade.

If you already use high-octane, then you may be experiencing the 4800 rpm "dip" in the torque curve. Most members who have dynoed their cars have shown a consistent flattening of the torque right around 4500-5000 rpm. Ask your mom if thats where her problem shows up. If she drives it easy and never gets the revs that high, then I dont have a clue what could be wrong. Just make sure you both arent expecting a bit more from this engine than it can realistically give :)

BlasTech
06-23-2003, 08:25 AM
If its happening right when you shift and let the clutch up, maybe you should check the slack in the throttle cables... do a search for lots of input on how.

mattyb
06-23-2003, 08:28 AM
In my '03 I have put nothing but SUNOCO 94 in since I bought the car! I am a gas snob. We don't have AMOCO in Vermont. We barely have pavement! My mom on the other had uses strictly regular gas in her '02. That tourque dip. That kinda sounds like the deal and it also sounds like where I am feeling the hesitation. Why wouldn't I feel it in other gears? What the hell is it? THANKS!

AlBlueCar
06-23-2003, 09:25 AM
I remember reading that the dipp could be from low oil pressure. Mebbe you should check that. I never had any problems in my EP except from that damned second gear grind (that bastard...)

02NITEHAWKSi EP
06-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Your mom is cool!:cool: :D She drives an EP.

civicSIracer
06-23-2003, 10:37 AM
i had the same type of dip too.. it started to happen just b4 i had to change the oil.. i change the oil to new mobil 1 full syn. and the dip is gone. i normally usy 89 octane.