PDA

View Full Version : Low beams don't work.....??

Speck
06-23-2003, 12:11 PM
posting this in a few forums:

Anyone heard of this? Low beams just stop working? The bulbs are good, even tested with some brand new ones. High beams are fine. As far as the fuses go, I checked every damn one of them, under the dash and the hood. They ALL look fine.

I had originally thought it was from the Illumination wire from my new headunit, but that was not the case. Does anyone have ANY ideas?

I just don't want to put my baby in the shop for a small thing. Especially considering it is a PAIN to get to my dealer and get to work.

-=speck=-

glw
06-23-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Speck
posting this in a few forums:

Anyone heard of this? Low beams just stop working? The bulbs are good, even tested with some brand new ones. High beams are fine. As far as the fuses go, I checked every damn one of them, under the dash and the hood. They ALL look fine.

I had originally thought it was from the Illumination wire from my new headunit, but that was not the case. Does anyone have ANY ideas?

I just don't want to put my baby in the shop for a small thing. Especially considering it is a PAIN to get to my dealer and get to work.

-=speck=- the repair manual says to check the continuity of pins 6,7,12, and 13 of the switch. you'll need a multimeter and cross tip screwdriver to check it.

basically remove drivers dashboard lower cover (turn knob 90 degrees and release 2 clips) and the steering column covers (3 cross tip screws). disconnect connector from the light switch. remove 2 screws from light switch and slide it out. check terminals for damage.

note: the pins are 1-7 across the top row of the connector and 8-16 across the bottom row.

if not damaged, check for a short across 6, 7, 12, and 13 when the switch is in low beam position. if not all pins are shorted together then replace the switch.

ps: by shorted, i mean zero (0) resistance when using a multimeter on the ohms setting.