PDA

View Full Version : Amp wiring -remote lead- how to??

cmk05
06-23-2003, 01:23 PM
I decided to throw my old amp and sub into my car and am wondering where I can get a good signal to operate the remote power on lead for the amp.

Does the head unit have one (i thought it might not because of the non-power roof mounted antenna).

Is there an alternative wire I could connect the remote turn on to?

Thanks all.

ep3guy
06-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by cmk05
I decided to throw my old amp and sub into my car and am wondering where I can get a good signal to operate the remote power on lead for the amp.

Does the head unit have one (i thought it might not because of the non-power roof mounted antenna).

Is there an alternative wire I could connect the remote turn on to?

Thanks all.

Try the fuse for the radio. I didn't wanna take apart my headunit, so I just used the fuse.

cmk05
06-25-2003, 08:01 AM
thanks -

what are the requirements for wiring the remote turn on lead?

will splicing into any switched 12V wire work?

serialdriller
07-01-2004, 11:38 PM
there should be a rem wire from the headunit. So u'd have to open it all up. If you are talking about an aftermarket hu...

a 12v wire wouldnt work i dont believe.... Well im not sure, i'd look behind the hu.

dtexan
07-02-2004, 12:12 AM
All you have to do is find a fuse in the fuse box under your driver side dash that is active when the car turns on. What you do is pull the fuse wrap your remote wire around one of the blades on the fuse and plug it back in. Some people might think thats ghetto but it works and I've never had a problem with it...

ViViDPeArL
07-02-2004, 12:35 AM
All you have to do is find a fuse in the fuse box under your driver side dash that is active when the car turns on. What you do is pull the fuse wrap your remote wire around one of the blades on the fuse and plug it back in. Some people might think thats ghetto but it works and I've never had a problem with it...

that shit is hella ghetto...hooking up something like that will possibly lead to more blown fuses. you can tap into any 12V power source...don't tap the red wire though...if you tap that wire, it's your ACCESSORY wire which ALWAYS stays on...no big deal with an amp always staying on and no power going out...but...i wouldn't do it

dtexan
07-02-2004, 01:52 AM
How is it hella ghetto. I have never once blown a fuse doing that its not like your amp is going to draw tons of power from your remote turn on wire. Whats the difference going to be if you get the power from the wire coming out of the fuse box or the actual fuse box makes no difference what so ever.

evilep3
07-02-2004, 02:05 AM
that shit is hella ghetto...hooking up something like that will possibly lead to more blown fuses. you can tap into any 12V power source...don't tap the red wire though...if you tap that wire, it's your ACCESSORY wire which ALWAYS stays on...no big deal with an amp always staying on and no power going out...but...i wouldn't do it
i have been running my stero like this for a long long time. never had a prob. i would say that as long as you wire it correctly you should be good:winkm: