PDA

View Full Version : detailed pics of JDM Honda side skirts are here

dustinhurley
06-23-2003, 01:31 PM
I finally got around to taking some pics. I stopped by the body shop today, should get my car tomorrow.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pfa8c21673afb025699c7143b5dcc1b6d/fbdb122a.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p19801d42d981e37a97aac2b748d6b971/fbdb1225.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pa2dfa1050d7c1ed46054fbddc03597a1/fbdb121e.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p1f053dced91c67294719afece1d60344/fbdb1218.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p9f3519cfbe860458f308cda6d8808001/fbdb1212.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pfa8bc82485f26caca06c9eced1c3bb63/fbdb120b.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pe42ba92600dc8a59fe3f8d37ef1890da/fbdb1207.jpg

jerky
06-23-2003, 01:59 PM
damn i didn't know you had to do all that. i was thinking about skirts, but i don't want to commit to them forever. can't we use tape on the skrits or something?

dustinhurley
06-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know what goes here? There are 2 or 3 sets of these holes. When the skirt is mounted, the bottom of it (the part that bends underneath the car) is about 2" away from the underbody of the car. So, we think there is some sort of rubber or plastic support bushing that is screwed in between the body of the car and the side skirt, and it would go where these extra holes are. Without something like this, the bottom of the side skirt can flex a lot and potentially break over speed bumps or something.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p98b08c72cab78cd71b2430e25aed979e/fbdb121c.jpg

dustinhurley
06-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by jerky
damn i didn't know you had to do all that. i was thinking about skirts, but i don't want to commit to them forever. can't we use tape on the skrits or something?

No, I would not suggest tape. If you look carefully, there is not very much of the side skirt that sits flush with the car. Around the border of skirt, there is a black rubber lining similar to the lining on the OEM spoiler. If you took this off, and tried to put tape in its place, you could only use tape maybe 1/4" thick. Which means you would have to trim the tape down and it would also be visible. The other option would be to pop out all of the little clips and put little squares of tape in their place. I don't like that idea either because it doesn't seem strong enough. If you look at the 4th pic in the list, that little white strip is tape. Notice how there is a black riser behind it to make it flush with the body of the car.

glw
06-23-2003, 02:39 PM
maybe you could take the plastic clips off and use double sided tape instead???

edit: ignore me... i didn't read ahead before posting... doh!

dustinhurley
06-23-2003, 02:49 PM
The other option would be to pop out all of the little clips and put little squares of tape in their place. I don't like that idea either because it doesn't seem strong enough. If you look at the 4th pic in the list, that little white strip is tape. Notice how there is a black riser behind it to make it flush with the body of the car.

Mugen_EP
06-23-2003, 04:22 PM
I used double stick tape on mine because I didnt want to drill holes and they hold on just fine. I've had them on for at least four months now and no problems...here she is

rswbrixton
06-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Hi there Mugen_EP !! Did you apply the double sided tape to the clip points ( of course with clips removed) , and did you apply in any other parts of skirt underside . And you did of course use the mount holes at the front of the skirt that rests inside the fender well with the wheel wheel clips/screws???

Any close up shots ?

icegrill
06-23-2003, 05:17 PM
I almost puked seeing that many holes drilled in the si. I couldn't take knowing there are like 15 non factory drilled holes in my new car. Best of luck to you down the road. I'd be afraid of getting one hit and having it do more damage to the car. :eek:

Makross
06-23-2003, 07:04 PM
mugen that shit is beautimus:*

dustinhurley
06-23-2003, 07:14 PM
I've had bad experience with doube sided tape, and know a lot of people who have also. I had a rear bumper lip on my old EK that was taped on and screwed at the fenders. I was driving at night and a dead animal of some sort was in the road. There was traffic, so I had to strattle it with my car. It hit the rear lip and ripped the tape clean off. The bumper was hanging by the 2 screws. My car was not that low and the animal barely touched the lip, I didn't even hear it happen. So when I went to reapply the tape, there was year old tape residue on the paint. Needless to say, that was not coming off without damaging the paint. I was forced to put new tape over the residue, which made the bumper bulge out and not look flush. I know of similar incidents that other people have had, and some with side skirts. A friend of mine ruined a pair of C-West side skirts because the tape wasn't secure enough. Also, note that the Civic Type-R comes with these holes from the factory. And it does not take a rocket scientist to measure, drill, and rust proof some holes.

ALCT
06-23-2003, 08:48 PM
do you think there may be possibility to drill only two invisible holes and use stickies for the rest instead of drilling the whole side?

Mugen_EP
06-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by rswbrixton
Hi there Mugen_EP !! Did you apply the double sided tape to the clip points ( of course with clips removed) , and did you apply in any other parts of skirt underside . And you did of course use the mount holes at the front of the skirt that rests inside the fender well with the wheel wheel clips/screws???

Any close up shots ?

Yes I applied them on the clip points and I used the mounting holes in the front fender well and under neath the car.

and thank you Makross.:)

josh2323
06-23-2003, 09:54 PM
mine sits flush without any of the hole drilling too.

cease
06-23-2003, 09:56 PM
hey mugenEP what brand of tape did you use?

Mugen_EP
06-24-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by cease
hey mugenEP what brand of tape did you use?

I'm sorry but I really dont recall. It was automotive double stick tape though. The kind they use for rear wings and such. Not ordinary 3M double stick tape.

jerky
06-24-2003, 10:42 AM
phew! it is nice to know we can use tape if we want to.:)

dustinhurley
06-24-2003, 12:08 PM
I used the mounting holes in the front fender well and under neath the car.

So you did drill some holes, just not all of them?

Mugen_EP
06-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by dustinhurley
So you did drill some holes, just not all of them?

No, the holes in the front fender are already there. I did not drill any holes at all.

02TafWhtSi
06-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP

No, the holes in the front fender are already there. I did not drill any holes at all.

If I ever decide to get these skirts I will follow your lead for the install Mugen - seems MUCH more simple and less destructive :D

icegrill
06-24-2003, 08:11 PM
I posted in one thread about the acrylic 3m tape that you put over the mounting clips that is the same tape used to hold escalade cladding on. It's a special tape just for skirts, mouldings etc... you can find it on their webpage.

cease
06-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP

mugen_ep:

if you didnt drill any holes how did you get the back part of the side skirt to stay in place? can you take a pic? thanks

silver ep
06-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Damn, your cars gonna look great! Now you definately have to come to the Ohio meet! :D

Silvershadow
07-28-2003, 02:36 AM
Dustinhurley:The 2 holes you're asking about are for a plastic side skirt stablizers.2 screws go into the holes to the stablizer.If you follow the 2 holes toward the center of the car over the lip (@ the bottom of the car) you'll see a hole( about 1/2" to 3/4")where a plastic connector attaches the stablizer to the chassic.The plastic connector is the same connector as used to attach the upper front bumper to the radiator support.It's black.You pry up the center plug and lift out the two pieces.THere's a pair of stabilizers for each side skirt.They cost around $7 each.These are JDM pieces.You can probably just use 2 screws thought a plastic block straight into the lower chassic without crossing over the lip.

You could use 2 screws in the front and rear of the skirt to attach the sideskirt along with the 2-side tape.The only problem I see with using tape is of one of your buddies will step on the side skirt getting into the car and unsticking the sideskirt.Maybe you can just drill 1 hole in the center and use one clip to reduce that risk.

dustinhurley
07-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Yeah, we just got some plastic square block type things and screwed them in for added support.

Endless_EP
08-01-2003, 08:10 PM
OMG! I was thinking about puchasing CTR Sideskirt for my car. After seeing that pic.. I was like.. and i gave it a second thought. by the way.. i thought.. you only screw 4 tap screws (2 front and 2 rear per side) and put the clips (should come with your sideskirt) under the car for installation

Dustinhurely: If you look closely to your side of body panel. i believe there are two groove for a tape screw to go in.. hopefully this will help you alittle.

StrangeShadow
08-01-2003, 11:03 PM
woohoo now everyone is putting 500. mods on their cars with TAPE, so as soon as they park...say...anywhere...they can be poped right off and applied to my car.

Note: I would never actually do this. [just wanted to make a point]

It's just very hard for me to justify putting 500. exterrior mods on a car that might get nocked off, or worse...stolen by some punk kid ricer...especially after everyone has been posting about their cars being egged, vandalized and broken into at night w/out them hearing it...If I get them I think I will have a body shop drill at least two holes (front and back)...good luck with whatever way everyone decides to go.

Mugen_EP
08-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow
woohoo now everyone is putting 500. mods on their cars with TAPE, so as soon as they park...say...anywhere...they can be poped right off and applied to my car.

Note: I would never actually do this. [just wanted to make a point]

It's just very hard for me to justify putting 500. exterrior mods on a car that might get nocked off, or worse...stolen by some punk kid ricer...especially after everyone has been posting about their cars being egged, vandalized and broken into at night w/out them hearing it...If I get them I think I will have a body shop drill at least two holes (front and back)...good luck with whatever way everyone decides to go.

Have you ever tried pulling off the side moldings of a Chevy truck? Its a bitch!! This is how tuff the tape sticks to the body of the car. It would take someone about the same amount of strength to pop clips out as it would pull the tape off. So there is no "Added Security" with drilling holes into your car so dont get a false sense of security.

StrangeShadow
08-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Have you ever tried pulling off the side moldings of a Chevy truck? Its a bitch!! This is how tuff the tape sticks to the body of the car. It would take someone about the same amount of strength to pop clips out as it would pull the tape off. So there is no "Added Security" with drilling holes into your car so dont get a false sense of security.
:) Thanks for the reasurance, I'm just very nervous when it comes to getting my stuff that 'I've worked hard for' jacked, cause I've seen it happen to a lot of ppl and know it feels like crap
:( if it actually holds these skirts on this well, then I would deffantly consider it over drilling

icegrill
08-03-2003, 12:34 AM
seriously once that fucking tape is down it's not going anywhere. Probabley is easier to pull off the drilled skirts, wiith a cordless drill and some force. You need a heat gun and patience to remove 3m cladding tape. I've been talking with my body guy all about the art of autobody.

Si Death
10-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Mugen ep, are the tapes still holding up pretty good???

Mugen_EP
10-06-2003, 02:42 PM
The tape is holding up great! I did have a problem on my drivers side when someone tried to steal them but they obviously held up well because they couldnt get them off. I need to go back to the body shop and have the skirt redone right in front of the rear tire. For now I used some of my own double stick tape and it has been holding on well for about 3 weeks now.

Si Death
10-06-2003, 03:58 PM
sweet, its very good to know i really dont have to drill. What was the brand of the tape you used?

Makross
10-07-2003, 12:10 AM
man my shit keeps on falling off on my driver side, back front of the wheel. and im gettin tired of taping them up everyday than i just used scotch tape to hold em up! i duno whats up with that!:o :mad:

anti-hu
10-07-2003, 12:18 PM
1. drill holes
2. rust proof holes
3. attach type r sideskit

shit wont fall off nomore after that

Si Death
10-07-2003, 02:35 PM
drill holes is a no no for me, un less i have the $$$ to get the REAL damn bc skirts, then MAYYBBEEE. Until then its tape, yah what tape is best for attaching skirts?? its not the 3m right?

Mugen_EP
10-07-2003, 03:38 PM
I really wish I knew the name of the tape I'm using. I'll try to take pics of the tape I use so that you guys can purchase it.

Makross
10-07-2003, 05:40 PM
thanks mugen!:m:

anti-hu
10-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by dustinhurley
Does anyone know what goes here? There are 2 or 3 sets of these holes. When the skirt is mounted, the bottom of it (the part that bends underneath the car) is about 2" away from the underbody of the car. So, we think there is some sort of rubber or plastic support bushing that is screwed in between the body of the car and the side skirt, and it would go where these extra holes are. Without something like this, the bottom of the side skirt can flex a lot and potentially break over speed bumps or something.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p98b08c72cab78cd71b2430e25aed979e/fbdb121c.jpg

couldnt you just get 2 stacks of rubber washers to fill in that gap so the botom is secure nice and snug?

DumbNewB
10-14-2003, 10:43 PM
It most be scary for you mugen_ep
I would be really nervous about where i left my car if i got side skirts.

chubbychu
12-17-2003, 05:22 PM
yea..i really really dont trust tape alone. is there anyways you could rig up the inside with something that connects onto the side jackpoints?

cease
12-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by anti-hu
couldnt you just get 2 stacks of rubber washers to fill in that gap so the botom is secure nice and snug?

i thought the same but my neighbor told that you have to worry about the metal rusting and then the rust spreding.

remove that white clip and put 3M tape were the clip was.

i used the 3M tape, mugen_ep & onesweetep and no problems

02situner
12-17-2003, 05:59 PM
you know i someone could steel the side skirt just as easy with the clip. you pull on it they pop out. same as take. and actually sometimes tape is harder to get off. tape will hold fine but make sure you put a couple screws in the front and back of them.