PDA

View Full Version : Misc. things that worry me in the ep

chubbychu
06-23-2003, 09:44 PM
i have a couple problems some one HELLLPPPP!

1) when turning left...theres a werid sound...like plastic is rubbing against something..iuno...kinda like the tire is falling off or something iuno...anyone else?

2) ive been mixing octane! i know i know its bad but prices have been up and down and up and down.

3) sometimes the ep is REALLY slow...this is usually during the hot day. so im guessing this is supposed to happen.

4)the windshield is DIRTTTY! whatever i do it just gets all streaky! ARGGG!

and theres one more i cant think of...but thanks any reply about anything would be SAW-EEET!

VBSI
06-23-2003, 09:46 PM
I get a knocking noise at low speeds when turning-and I need to get it checked. It isn't bad, but I don't think it's normal.

CleanBlackSi02
06-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
i have a couple problems some one HELLLPPPP!

1) when turning left...theres a werid sound...like plastic is rubbing against something..iuno...kinda like the tire is falling off or something iuno...anyone else?

2) ive been mixing octane! i know i know its bad but prices have been up and down and up and down.

3) sometimes the ep is REALLY slow...this is usually during the hot day. so im guessing this is supposed to happen.

and theres one more i cant think of...but thanks any reply about anything would be SAW-EEET!
1. Is your car lowered?
2. That's not bad...to my knowledge.
3. AC on plus hot day = slower EP.
4. Wash your car...if this does not work, rinse, repeat.

chubbychu
06-23-2003, 11:22 PM
vbsi..it could be described as such...i think thats what it is...its just usually semi-sharp turns at lower speeds...like if i turn into a rough, non gutterless driveway it makes a squeaking, knocking rubbing sound....what could it beee?

no im not lowered.
2)ok
3)ok
4)ok

chubbychu
06-23-2003, 11:29 PM
also, my windows dont close at the same time....WTF? lol and is it possible to get the Auto window switch for BOTH sides?

skooba
06-23-2003, 11:38 PM
my windows dont close at the same time either... i think its because we use the driver side window much more frequently and thus less buildup can occurr since its constantly sliding up and down, but who knows i could be way off.

IownAmaxima
06-24-2003, 07:01 AM
all about #2

a. mixing octanes is bad? That's like saying mixing gas from different stations is bad. Neither is bad.
b. why are you doing it? If you're not boosted (your profile says "mods; nothing out of the ordinary" so I'll guess you're not)it's not getting anything to run higher octane than recommended
c. what's recommended for your car? Run that and don't worry about it.

I did a search on "octane" and have come to the conclusion there are a lot of people who have NO IDEA what it does. Statements like "I run 93 and octance boost to 108 at the track" on a non-boosted car is just dumb.

CleanBlackSi02
06-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by IownAmaxima
all about #2

a. mixing octanes is bad? That's like saying mixing gas from different stations is bad. Neither is bad.
b. why are you doing it? If you're not boosted (your profile says "mods; nothing out of the ordinary" so I'll guess you're not)it's not getting anything to run higher octane than recommended
c. what's recommended for your car? Run that and don't worry about it.

I did a search on "octane" and have come to the conclusion there are a lot of people who have NO IDEA what it does. Statements like "I run 93 and octance boost to 108 at the track" on a non-boosted car is just dumb.
I have seen dyno results on a mostly stock EP...87 vs 93 octane...the 93 provided 3 more WHP.

IceD out N CALI
06-24-2003, 10:11 AM
my windows both dont go down at the exact same time, but it is no sweat off my sack;)

IownAmaxima
06-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02

I have seen dyno results on a mostly stock EP...87 vs 93 octane...the 93 provided 3 more WHP. So. I've seen back to back dyno runs that varied by more than that. There's as much a chance it was the dyno, operator, conditions, etc that changed the results. What's an EP dyno at... 135... 140? So 3WHP is about 2.5%...

read this...http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13782&highlight=stock+dyno
bioevolve did 5 runs and got 173-177hp with the same dyno, same crew, same gas. The 3WHP difference is easily explained by other factors than gas/octane.

I'm not saying octane *didn't* change anything, I'm saying one 'sighting' isn't enough to mean squat. So to repeat myself, all I said was "If you're not boosted...(you're) not getting anything to run higher octane than recommended" and "what's recommended for your car? Run that and don't worry about it."

I think people think octane is "go juice" or something... like "higher is better" and it's not true. Put 94 in an engine designed for 89 and at best all you did was waste your money.

cbecker333
06-24-2003, 10:43 AM

If you want a streak-free windshield, inside and out, use windex and wipe it off with crumpled newspaper. Getting the bottom of the glass on the inside can be tricky with the newspaper, just be careful not to touch the glass with your hand and smudge it more....

silver ep
06-24-2003, 10:45 AM
I have the same problem. Took it into the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. Its a mystery....:o

jerky
06-24-2003, 10:47 AM
baby alert:p

02SilverSiHB
06-24-2003, 10:49 AM
1, you worry to much
2, go to the dealer and take advantage of the warranty to solve the turning prob
3, don't worry about mixing gas
4, my windows don't go up at the exact time either...it's a civic thing.

sonic imperial
06-24-2003, 11:28 AM
I have that same knocking sound too coming from somewhere behind the steering wheel (at least it seems that way). It's only when I make turns and the pavement isn't perfectly smooth. I just never mentioned it before, just been living with it.

BSEVEER
06-24-2003, 02:07 PM
When I turn left the tires on the left side of the car rotate less than the tires on the right side of the car and when I turn right the tires on the right side of the car rotate less that the tires on the left side of the car...;)

cbecker333
06-24-2003, 02:12 PM
sometimes I have bad dreams...

and I poop too much...

IownAmaxima
06-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by rick77f
IownAmaxima: My car was used as a beta tester for Hondata. Hondata found that the car can use 87 octane, as long as you don't mind the timing being retarded by 12 degrees. I consistantly make more power on 91 octane and get better mileage as well. Thanks. My owner's manual has "required" and "recommended" octane numbers. It requires 87 but recommends (actually 'highly recommends') 91, so I use 91. What are those numbers for the EP? I'm saying don't use higher than the recommended, and I'll bet Honda "requires" 87 but "recommends" something higher.

Did Hondata see any 'better' results using even higher octane than 91? I understand about retarding the timing if the octane is too low but it seems many are under the misconception that "if 91 is good, 94 must be better and 108 KICKS!" and they're wrong.

EKON
06-24-2003, 03:25 PM
I used to have that popping sound it came from the rear bushing. It took four visits, but we found it.....Maybe this is what alot of you are hearing.

TheWevel
06-24-2003, 04:27 PM
My car doesn't make any strange noises...I feel kind of left out.

sniperSI
06-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Actually The honda ECU's have maps in them for 100 octane gas the changes the timing ect ect just like lower octane gas does the same.

I've put 100 octane in my car plenty of times and the differance is so noticable.

1.( The car hums a different note
2.( I don't have to ever get on the car and down shift as much as usual, it feels way beefier and "peppier".
3.( I get better gas millage to.

You can ask anyone with a honda engine that uses 100 octane regulary. Once they try something lower, it is obvious.

Papa Bear
06-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by BSEVEER
When I turn left the tires on the left side of the car rotate less than the tires on the right side of the car and when I turn right the tires on the right side of the car rotate less that the tires on the left side of the car...;)

That was hilarious!

Papa Bear
06-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by IownAmaxima
Thanks. My owner's manual has "required" and "recommended" octane numbers. It requires 87 but recommends (actually 'highly recommends') 91, so I use 91. What are those numbers for the EP? I'm saying don't use higher than the recommended, and I'll bet Honda "requires" 87 but "recommends" something higher.

Did Hondata see any 'better' results using even higher octane than 91? I understand about retarding the timing if the octane is too low but it seems many are under the misconception that "if 91 is good, 94 must be better and 108 KICKS!" and they're wrong.
I use 94 octane and yes it is better than 91. Honda didn't put it in your manual because it isn't available everywhere.

IceD out N CALI
06-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by TheWevel
My car doesn't make any strange noises...I feel kind of left out.

nothing wrong with that;)

02TafWhtSi
06-24-2003, 06:03 PM
I get the low speed left turn rubbing sound too. I think it could be road salt/junk that is making friction for the sway bar connection to the chassis. I've been meaning to pull it out and clean it off...

Bificus
06-24-2003, 09:08 PM
1) Yeah you wanna get that sound issue to the Honda dealer.
2) Mixing octane is not bad but you are probably seeing the HP and torque ebb and flow with each tank of regular and premium. I would say reset the ecu and run 89. I run 93 and won't go back unless gas goes up outrageously.
3) Increased octane will help during hot days when yout timing is being retarded.
4) If you are seeing streaks on the inside of your glass quit smoking your b0ng in the car. Actually its outgassing of the plastics (ew). My 93 Saturn did it horribly. My SI came with a letter inside stating some chemicals used in manufaturing were carcinogens. (Ew) Use a car glass cleaner and use some newspaper too that does really work.

Sorry for the rant.

chubbychu
06-24-2003, 11:01 PM
WOW! SO MANY replies! how come this thread isnt showing up in the new posts search thing. I thought no one was answering

about the octane thing...i meant on a range of 87-91...not like 87-106 or however many. and im familiar with running higher octane with FI..i know about knocking and stuff like that.

aNd for all those people out there calling me a baby and mocking me...IM NOT! :::Wahhh::: im telling my mommy!!!!

and i should go to the dealer...actually i will, but what if the problem dosent show itself? Arg i would be so mad!

THANKS EVERYONE! i love yall!

VBSI
06-24-2003, 11:04 PM
My EP has never sipped less than 93, that is unless the dealer filled it with 87 at delivery. Where the hell do I find 100 octane?

poppasp1ce
06-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by VBSI
My EP has never sipped less than 93, that is unless the dealer filled it with 87 at delivery. Where the hell do I find 100 octane?

your local track should have a pump with 100+ octane. it aint cheap.

josh2323
06-25-2003, 12:23 AM
yeah I once payed about $5/gal at the track here for some 104, waste of money imo.

kenis138
06-25-2003, 05:41 AM
Yup, I have a low speed, left turn knocking from right front side on rough pavement.

chubbychu
06-27-2003, 11:56 PM
How about coolant? anyone put too much? cuz thats my prob right now

Brettnyt
06-28-2003, 12:20 AM
also, my windows dont close at the same time....WTF? lol and is it possible to get the Auto window switch for BOTH sides?

Same here! Really freaked me out when i first noticed it... i was gunna go in and ask the dealership about it, but i guess it is not that big of a deal if the same thing happens with all of you... I tested like 10 times to see if they would go at the same time, but no luck... I figures either passenger motor was burnin out, or the timing from switch to passenger door took longer, that was until i tested the passenger switch, and the driver side switch at the same time... :rolleyes:

chubbychu
06-28-2003, 01:35 AM
Hehe the werid thing is...after i got my grounding cables the gap difference went from 1.5 inches to .75 lol...werid. Anyways i got the squeekin "pre-Checked" an assumption on the squeaking was dry bushings? lol...i dunno. They are gonna do a full systems check tuesday at 3:30...or 9:30...whatever.