PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Talk about power loss! (K&N Typhoon)

TrippZ
06-24-2003, 04:55 PM
So, who has the Typhoon? I hit it up from David K. ... its quite different from my ebay intake.

Significant loss of power down low. I'm talking about.. DAMN. thats alot less power.

is it dyno proven that there's alot more high end power? also, during the install, i came across a ton of fittiment problems, anyone else have that?

let me know, please!

john

Jpax
06-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Do a search noob

did you get the one for the RSX? and did you brake it in yet? :)

TrippZ
06-24-2003, 05:03 PM
i got it from david K, let me check the box if its for an rsxs

i got it used so it should be broken in. he just used the filter recharge kit on it, so maybe thats the reason for the major loss?

let me go check the box... doesnt say anything about what its for.

Jpax
06-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Then he screwed you and gave you the wrong one. :)

J/P its the right one, did you make sure every thing is contected, the little sensor and all hoses , what type of fitment problems are you haveing is it the bracket that mounts it?

TrippZ
06-24-2003, 05:19 PM
heres a pic of the problems...

zoomed out...

TrippZ
06-24-2003, 05:21 PM
heres the problem closer

i dunno why but this piece of crap doesnt stay together, it just falls apart.

Jpax
06-24-2003, 05:29 PM
pull the hose away forom the intake more, this will help then buy a clamp from any hardwear store, it will hold that bissh in place.

so move the red arrowed hose towards the valvecover

Jpax
06-24-2003, 05:30 PM
that gap in yellow should be the enough to make it stay

jerky
06-24-2003, 05:43 PM
this isn't a chat room. take this shit to AIM. fuckers.
ahhhhh, so that is what it feels like to be a mod.

TrippZ
06-24-2003, 06:19 PM
uh, im asking for and recieving legitimate help. please kill yourself. thank you.

JSIR
06-24-2003, 06:52 PM
a SRI in Texas during this time of the year will definitely cause a loss of power , just from bogging so much in the hot engine bay. There is no reason why the K&N would be worse than the ebay intake. The K&N has small diameter piping and a much better filter design, so it should work better at low rpm than the ebay intake IMO. The K&N is worth about 5-7 whp gains on the top end, with gains at most parts of the rpm band at WOT, dyno proven. But on the street in very hot weather and humidity that intake will suffer.

There really aren't any fitment issues with the intake, it bolts up just fine and is very simple. The spacing suggestion mentioned above should help with your problem, make sure all the clamps are properly located on that hose, two large ones and two thinner ones.

Joey

02SilverSiHB
06-24-2003, 08:13 PM
hey trippz, it's probably this damn heat we're having man! It sucks. I can't wait for winter :D
But as for that fitament, I had that problem on my ebay intake, I'm surprised you're having that prob on the typhoon...do what jsir and paxie said.

ALCT
06-24-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey Trippz, First put the AC on thn tell me about the power loss, OMG it is a killer, embarassing.:(
Well, if you look at the pic I attached, silver si is mine and the black one belongs to my girlfriend, she bought it 3 months ago, her car has less than 500 miles, my car is 8 months old and has 4500 miles on it. I installed the KN Typhoon, Denso Iridiums, Borla Catback and Borla Header. Everything is installed according to the general instructions, I havent had any problems during the installs and after the installs. My car feels good , sounds good however there is some low end power loss. A few days ago I was driving next to my GF and I opened the window and asked her to floor it, she floored it and I floored it just to see if I had significant gains after spending around $900-950 on the mods, whatever I was a bit disapointed that day and decided to take her car for a ride the following day to check her stock si and it felt definitely faster at low speeds. Conclusion: I think it is just the sound of my I/H/E setup that makes me feel like my car is going faster than before. My car screams alot at wot but I feel like I am not as fast as I should or sound to be.
I may stop spending money on mods. I am friggin confused.
What do you guys think?
Peace.
AL

RMC22
06-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by ALCT
Hey Trippz, First put the AC on thn tell me about the power loss, OMG it is a killer, embarassing.:(
Well, if you look at the pic I attached, silver si is mine and the black one belongs to my girlfriend, she bought it 3 months ago, her car has less than 500 miles, my car is 8 months old and has 4500 miles on it. I installed the KN Typhoon, Denso Iridiums, Borla Catback and Borla Header. Everything is installed according to the general instructions, I havent had any problems during the installs and after the installs. My car feels good , sounds good however there is some low end power loss. A few days ago I was driving next to my GF and I opened the window and asked her to floor it, she floored it and I floored it just to see if I had significant gains after spending around $900-950 on the mods, whatever I was a bit disapointed that day and decided to take her car for a ride the following day to check her stock si and it felt definitely faster at low speeds. Conclusion: I think it is just the sound of my I/H/E setup that makes me feel like my car is going faster than before. My car screams alot at wot but I feel like I am not as fast as I should or sound to be.
What do you guys think?
Peace.
AL

Don't jack trippz thread!
There are lots of variables that come into play when running cars. Run through the gears of the stock SI from a stop, then a modded one. You'll see the difference. What did you expect with a few bolt ons? 200whp? I haven't noticed any real low end power loss, but then again.. I'm addicted to Hondata. Plus, I only use AC when I have passengers (for their comfort). Next time you floor it.. drop a gear and go.. don't just stomp the pedal.

02SilverSiHB
06-25-2003, 04:32 AM
yeah, I think I may be running rich as hell. My exhaust is showing signs of me running way to rich. I clean the tip, two days later, it looks like a big black strip of paint is on my exhaust tip. It didn't happen like that before. I'm going to the dyno on Friday...if nothing comes up...and I'm going to see if they can hook up a wide band o2 sensor and check to see if I'm running rich.

David K.
06-25-2003, 08:21 AM
I'll try to swing by and look at your car. No reason why it should not bolt up perfectly. It is the correct part as I had it on my car with no probs whatsoever. There is a low rpm loss compared to the stock box, but I can't imagine why it would feel worse than the ebay design. It was around 100 degrees yesterday. Remember the parts I sold you will show a significant top-end performance gain when used together. Your car ultimately will be faster than before, but around town it won't always have that satisfying low-end punch that a stock one has. Get it out on the highway and you should be more than satisfied.

JSIR
06-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by ALCT
What do you guys think?
Peace.
AL

I guess it all depends at what speed you were running with your gf. Those mods you have begin to make big power after 6000 rpms and really opens up after 6500 rpms, only problem is we rev only to 6800 rpms, not much room to maximize the gains.

There is no setup that can run stronger than the stock setup at lower rpms and part throttle driving. The stock setup is maximized to run best on the bottom end and some areas of the mid range as well.

The intake mod seems to be the best power adder on this engine, your intake will work well in cooler conditions, hot conditions may make give it problems.

I'm currently playing around by swapping the stock header back into my car in place of the HP header I've been running. Bottom end and part throttle driving certainly feel stronger. I've been toying with the idea of running a stock header since I read the last import tuner mag which had a test of 3 mods on the Si.

BTW, I've got a set of Denso Iridiums as well, next time on the dyno I'm going to swap them in and see if there is any difference, IMO they make the engine feel kinda soft judging by the butt dyno. I hope they work on the dyno though as I paid a small fortune or these things.

Joey:o

Jester
06-25-2003, 08:55 AM
jumpin in:

I sold my Typhoon...way too much power loss..totally robbed all of the torque so I bought an Injen Race Division...after going from the Typhoon back to stock box for 2 weeks I definately saw where the losses and gains were. stock box is restrictive up top and the typhoon sux ass down low. Injen race solved both problems. I noticed better throttle response (no bogging like the typhoon) more torque down low and better top end than both...and it screams like a motherfucker!

JSIR
06-25-2003, 09:01 AM
I thought the K&N Typh. worked really well in cold weather months when I owned it. There wasn't any torque loss in those conditions, so I think the overall design is decent, but as soon as things heat up it sucks extremely hot air which is the biggest killer of power. A CAI seems to solve that problem, my Comptech Icebox seems to be working decently in this scorching heat we've having right now. I hope to dyno it soon to get an accurate assessment.

Joey

TrippZ
06-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Ive got to fix that little piece and that should make everything ok. I realized that i was going to lose power, but not so much. I think that for the price i payed it's worth it for the quality and what not. Besides, I'm not exactly a racer, but if I was going to, I realized earlier that all I have to do is launch a little higher and play with the clutch for a little longer. I took some runs down my street and it definately feels like the car keeps pulling as I hit redline, so I'm guessing after I install the header from David and get a midpipe, Hondata would be a necessity.

02SilverSiHB
06-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Jester
jumpin in:

I sold my Typhoon...way too much power loss..totally robbed all of the torque so I bought an Injen Race Division...after going from the Typhoon back to stock box for 2 weeks I definately saw where the losses and gains were. stock box is restrictive up top and the typhoon sux ass down low. Injen race solved both problems. I noticed better throttle response (no bogging like the typhoon) more torque down low and better top end than both...and it screams like a motherfucker!
yeap, I agree.

chubbychu
06-25-2003, 01:12 PM
anywhere to find a cheap Injen RD? from the discription..i want one so bad!!!! im using ebay crap right now...so if you have any links or anything that would be terrific!

cease
06-25-2003, 01:51 PM
the injen race is much better than the typhoon, right?

:confused:

SiR Medic
06-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by cease
the injen race is much better than the typhoon, right?

:confused:

Apples and Oranges...

The Injen Race Division is a Cold Air Intake, the Typhoon is a Short Ram Intake.

Hey TrippZ... You did remember to unhook the battery right? My Injen SRI wasn't all I thought it would be... But then I noticed the air-temp sensor wasn't plugged in:confused: After plugging it in, resetting the ECU and driving for a little bit, that sucker worked a LOT better!:D

02SilverSiHB
06-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
anywhere to find a cheap Injen RD? from the discription..i want one so bad!!!! im using ebay crap right now...so if you have any links or anything that would be terrific!
www.nopionline.com is the best place to get one. I got it for about 179 there.

chubbychu
06-25-2003, 03:50 PM
thats pretty cheap for a CAI but than again thats a set of progres springs....hmmm.....

MoodySi
06-25-2003, 04:52 PM
You should not lose power with the K&N. I have it and gained power in every respect. To attach your breather hose to the intake, you have to move the metal clamp over the breather hose connector on the intake tube.;)

Jester
06-25-2003, 05:00 PM
sorry to all you guys that fancy your typhoon's..
but the losses in low end power reminded me of my old 98 sohc..boggggggg

but for arguments sake it sure is pretty;)

TrippZ
06-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic

Apples and Oranges...

The Injen Race Division is a Cold Air Intake, the Typhoon is a Short Ram Intake.

Hey TrippZ... You did remember to unhook the battery right? My Injen SRI wasn't all I thought it would be... But then I noticed the air-temp sensor wasn't plugged in:confused: After plugging it in, resetting the ECU and driving for a little bit, that sucker worked a LOT better!:D

how do i recet the ECU :-X

02SilverSiHB
06-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ

how do i recet the ECU :-X
I have a stupid ritual when I do it.

I disconnect the black wire to the battery. I reconnect it after waiting for 1 minute.
Then come back to the car, when the car hasn't been running for a while (cool motor).
Start it up, making sure nothing is on, no radio, ac, etc. I let the car idle for 5 minutes...then turn it off...let it cool down again, most likely when I get up for work the next day, I start it up and drive like mad.

I know, it's crazy

HondaMan
06-25-2003, 08:42 PM
Hmmm...well my Typhoon works fine and no fitment problems. I'm sure the TX heat is playing a factor. All that said, I would like to get a Injen CAI sooner or later.

02SilverSiHB
06-26-2003, 02:24 PM
even the tx heat kills my car with the cai. It's damn hot. I just the meter just out side work...100 degrees...in the damn shade! That's freakin hot!

HondaMan
06-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
even the tx heat kills my car with the cai. It's damn hot. I just the meter just out side work...100 degrees...in the damn shade! That's freakin hot!

LOL, that is freaking HOT! And I thought it was bad here in HOT ATL.

JSIR
06-27-2003, 06:18 AM
That's a good point, CAI's dont solve all the heat related problems. Once the temps get up around 90 or more degrees even CAI's will suffer. On hot sunny days your sucking air off the road surface which is very hot. They are still better than the SRI's in terms of getting cooler air but you can still feel that loss in very hot weather.

Joey

02SilverSiHB
06-27-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by JSIR
That's a good point, CAI's dont solve all the heat related problems. Once the temps get up around 90 or more degrees even CAI's will suffer. On hot sunny days your sucking air off the road surface which is very hot. They are still better than the SRI's in terms of getting cooler air but you can still feel that loss in very hot weather.

Joey
so true, not too mention all the heat soak the IM gets also

todaCspec
06-27-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by JSIR

Joey

You seem to be very knowledgeable/experimental when it comes to engine mods, what do you think of the Neuspeed P-flo design? It seems very similar to the stock intake(opening air duct right in front of battery) design w/ ram air effect.

In the RSX-s dyno it showed gains all through out the power band w/no loss. It would be nice if they showed it w/an EP or base model RSX ,but i think the results would be the same, no?

I'm very curious to see the gains of the Comptech ice box as to the stock air box. i would really hate to lose ANY low end hp/torque as that is what I like most of the EP. Sometimes I wonder if I should have went w/B20 VTEC..........

TrippZ
06-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Update!

After a few days of driving normally with the occasional zoom zoom, it feels MUCH better. The car screams at high RPMS even more then before. I can feel a broader band of power, and i like it.

I do have some qualms though. It seems like the design isnt as good as could be. I wish it would extend down further. But hey, I'm happy! I recommend this to everyone if you can get a good deal.

Iguess the problem I had was that the goop in the filter, like the oil, was recently put on and had to seperate. Oh well, all's good now

BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM!
The damn thing is backfiring like crazy, once a day or so. Has anyone found out the cause of backfiring? What about the damage that would happen?

David K.
06-27-2003, 09:17 AM
It will backfire occasionally, but I don't know about once a day. Check all your connections and make sure everything is tight with no air leaks.

HondaMan
06-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Yeah, mine will backfire from time to time (like twice a month or so)...cleaning it seems to help.

BTW, glad to hear you like it now...it is a good SRI!

SiR Medic
06-27-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by TrippZ
Update!
BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM!
The damn thing is backfiring like crazy, once a day or so. Has anyone found out the cause of backfiring? What about the damage that would happen?

:eek:

BACKFIRING?

I don't think that's supposed to happen! My Injen has NEVER backfired... ever.

If it did, I'd trash it!

JSIR
06-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by todaCspec

You seem to be very knowledgeable/experimental when it comes to engine mods, what do you think of the Neuspeed P-flo design? It seems very similar to the stock intake(opening air duct right in front of battery) design w/ ram air effect.

In the RSX-s dyno it showed gains all through out the power band w/no loss. It would be nice if they showed it w/an EP or base model RSX ,but i think the results would be the same, no?

I'm very curious to see the gains of the Comptech ice box as to the stock air box. i would really hate to lose ANY low end hp/torque as that is what I like most of the EP. Sometimes I wonder if I should have went w/B20 VTEC..........

I don't think the P-Flo design is any better than say an Injen SRI or something like that, plus I don't like the way they just put on a small breather filter instead of connecting it to the intake system. The front of the engine doesn't pick up much cool air, that's why the stock intake still sucks hot air temps if youve ever seen temp readings from intake testing. The stock intake sucks hot air just like a SRI.

The SRI style intakes work well in terms of cylinder filling but hot air temp is their main drawback. On the dyno they work great with the hood open, once you close the hood you see an immediate drop of 5-7 whp, I'm talking right away even with a huge fan blowing at the front of the vehicle.

I tried to do a dyno run today of my car but the car was losing a lot of power, heat soak was a problem as the power kept dropping on every run. I have the Comptech Intake but we couldnt get a good run today and I didnt have time to let the car cool down as I was kinda rushed. I also went back to my stock header so I am not sure what is causing the power loss, I am thinking its the header more than anything. At least I hope. Gonna put the HP header back on today and re-test on Monday if I can sneak back to the dyno shop , and hopefully do a reliable run. Temps around here are really hot and humid lately. Intake manifold temps are very hot even with the Hondata gasket.

hth

Joey

02SilverSiHB
06-27-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic

:eek:

BACKFIRING?

I don't think that's supposed to happen! My Injen has NEVER backfired... ever.

If it did, I'd trash it!
yeah, no back firing here either.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
06-27-2003, 01:21 PM
backfiring?
out of the intake....or the exhaust?
mine's never done that either (DC SRI)...
what are you hearing...a loud pop?

very weird.

EP33
06-27-2003, 07:42 PM
When I had my Typhoon, my car did the ole cough after a shift and getting on the gas when cold, & if I drive in "torque" range (pedal floored) going through the gears WITHOUT taking it to (or near) the redline. You know that DEEP growl sound the engine makes? I was obsessed with that because it sounds like nothing else! I would drive in 5th gear from about 25MPH all the way to 100 MPH, you can really hear the engine change it's character, and it sounds cool. Plus I like the ever popular take it up to about 5K RPM if first (parking lot/near a crowd) and then floor it to redline. Car goes from Jekyl to Hyde (sp?) and people are like WTF :eek:

One more and I'm done, when downshifting and matching the engine RPMs to the gear you are downshifting into, the Typhoon (or any SRI for that matter) helps because you eventually learn what the engine should sound like without having to look at a gauge. Now that I have my Icebox, I am recalibrating my hearing to it's lower sound level:( so I can properly down shift.

Oh yeah no install problem with my Typhoon either.

EPTree
06-29-2003, 09:06 PM
What would cause backfiring with a SRI? My Injen nor any CAI I've had on any car has ever caused backfiring.

Jpax
06-30-2003, 07:43 PM
the back firing is problay a pluged exhaust, like someone stuck someting your muffler. I would check for bannanas :confused:

Jester
06-30-2003, 08:46 PM
backfire?
running too rich and over revving?
I'd have that looked at.

David K.
06-30-2003, 09:55 PM
I think what he is describing is real occasional; it happened to me once in a while and I think I remember some other members saying they'd experienced it as well. It always occured when I suddenly came off the gas; I suppose the throttle plate slamming shut caused a back up in the intake, causing a small pop, kinda like a blow-off valve. I never had any problems from it. Perhaps K&N's filter design is partly responsable.

BlackBullet02Si
09-16-2003, 12:58 PM
i get something like that when changing gears real fast on occasion. I didn't really take much notice of it, it sounds like a small pop when when I press the gas. Could this be a major prob?

TrippZ
09-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by BlackBullet02Si
i get something like that when changing gears real fast on occasion. I didn't really take much notice of it, it sounds like a small pop when when I press the gas. Could this be a major prob?

i was getting popping 2x a day or so for the first few days i had the typhoon but now its very rare. i havent noticed any problems directly because of the popping. anyone have any knowledge?

rs_1101
09-16-2003, 10:23 PM
ive heard mixed opinions on the typhoon intake. but its generally accepted that it will acutally lower your off the line hp, just cuz of engine bay temp.

HondaMan
09-17-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by rs_1101
ive heard mixed opinions on the typhoon intake. but its generally accepted that it will acutally lower your off the line hp, just cuz of engine bay temp.

Works fine for me and everybody here as far as I know, but I wish I held out for the Injen CAI (wasn't out when I got the Typhoon).