PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on Blaupunkt PA4100 vs JL 300/4

Bo_Vien
06-24-2003, 05:21 PM
I visited a local shop today and told him that I needed an amp to power some CDT Classic 6.5 components (90W RMS 4ohm) and an RF HE2 8" sub (250W RMS 4ohm DVC). He recommended either the Alpine MRV-F540 or JL Audio 300/4. When I asked him about Blaupunkt, all he could say was "you get what you pay for."

Both of the amps he suggested cost around $450-500 from him. I've seen the Blaupunkt PA4100 for as low as $280. My question is will running the Blaupunkt be that bad? It seems to be delivering more power to the components and sub than either the Alpine or JL Audio amp. Can someone explain to me why I should go with the more expensive amps? Wouldn't I just be paying more to underpower the entire system? If that was a stupid question, I apologize since I'm just another audio newb. Thanks for any help on this matter.

Blaupunkt PA4100
Rated power output @ 0.1% THD, 13.8V
Unbridged into 4 ohms 4 x 100W
Unbridged into 2 ohms 4 x 125W
Bridged into 4 ohms 2 x 250W

Alpine F540
80 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
200 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode

JL Audio 300/4
(stereo): 75 W RMS x 4 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
(bridged): 150 W RMS x 2 @ 3 ohm-8 ohm(11V-14.5V)

BarracksSi
06-24-2003, 07:52 PM
As soon as I collect some rent money, I'm going to get that Blaupunkt model before they disappear.

You can't go wrong with JL or Alpine, of course, but I've read almost consistently positive reviews about most of the Blaupunkt T-class line of amps (do a Google search for PA4100 review). I'm certainly skeptical of any crazy claims, and even more so since I've usually liked Blaupunkt stuff -- I don't want to see them put out a crap product.

I like the idea that I'd be able to fit a PA4100 and a PA2100 or 2150 under ONE seat. That'll be good & loud.. :p

BlackNRedSi
06-26-2003, 10:51 AM
Dont listen to that guy!

He only said that cause A. he dont know what hes talking about... and B. he doesnt sell those products...

All 3 amps are great...

God i hate salesmen like that!

BarracksSi
06-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
...and B. he doesnt sell those products...

That's EXACTLY why I rarely ever trust a salesmen about products that he doesn't sell. I can only remember one offhand who was good about it -- he told me that I didn't need any of the stunt kites he had, because my ability level (and other kites I already had) were beyond what he had for sale.

Bo_Vien
06-26-2003, 12:00 PM
Now this is slightly OT, but what are your thoughts on an audio shop installing equipment not purchased from them? I've heard that shops don't like to do this and will most likely not do that great of a job. I'm sure not all shops are like this, but I can't help but wonder.

BlackNRedSi
06-26-2003, 12:06 PM
yeah you gotta watch that...they sometimes dont like that @ all...

a friend of mine had that done one time, and the guys @ the shop butchered his sht...wires were all messed up, crappy soder job...

just a wreck....

if you get it done by a shop that doesnt sell you those products, go to one of the small shops...They might charge you more than say a BEstBuy, but they are going to do a better job...and another plus, the smaler shops will sometimes let you sit in on the work, or @ least show you a car they are doing @ the moment so you know your not getting screwed...