PDA

View Full Version : does midpipe affect gas mileage?

wtfOO
06-24-2003, 08:46 PM
ok, so i know alot of people have done the 2.25" mandrel bent midpipe mod, so i have another question for this that hasnt been brought up, or i think it hasnt at least. does gas mileage drop from this mod? like everyday daily driving. not driving rough. just wondering because i was thinking about doin this. also, my car is stock so this might be the only mod for a while. would it be good or should i do something else first? thanks.

Dunrick
06-24-2003, 09:11 PM
no. if anything you will get better gas mileage

in my personal experience thats how it went

wtfOO
06-24-2003, 10:13 PM
thanks, i live in the bay area right now. can anyone recommend any good shops that would make me a midpipe?

JSIR
06-25-2003, 11:40 AM
going too big will cause you to lose torque in part throttle driving conditions such as highway cruising, thus you end up using more throttle to go the same speed.

Save some money and get a 2.25" crush bent pipe, it will still be perfectly sized at the bends, when using a stock muffler. If you really want a mandrel bent pipe and pay the extra money you may want to try 2.0 inch.

The best first mod for the money though is an intake, no other bolt-on mod makes as much power as an intake on this engine. In fact without an intake you probably wont register any gains with the midpipe on by itself.

Joey

wtfOO
06-25-2003, 01:57 PM
i will prob get a K&n intake as well as this midpipe.. just wondering which is better..so crush bent is good? i have been hearing a lot about mandrel bends.. thats all.

PogoFX
06-25-2003, 08:04 PM
I think what JSIR is saying is that a 2.0 inch midpipe is about the right size if you don't want to lose the bottome end torque. Two ways to go about it 2.0 inch mandrel bend which costs significantly more. Or, 2.245 crush bent, which will acutally neck down close to 2.0 in the bends and save you some money. Madrel bends maintain constant radius through the turns. I doubt you'll notice a significant diff performance though. I bought a 2 1/8 inch mandrel bend with resonator from a company called MBRP in Canada. I've been happy with it, and it doesn't feel like I lost any bottom end. I paid about $190 for it though. You could probably get a local shop to do crush bend for under $100 easily.

PogoFX
06-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Sorry, that should be 2.25 crush bent not 2.245. oops.

JSIR
06-25-2003, 08:44 PM
yeah that's correct, the reason I am listing these sizes is because we are talking about keeping the stock muffler (which is a very good muffler by the way). The pipe leading into the muffler is basically a 2 inch pipe give or take a few mm. It does open up to 2.25 inches at the midpipe flange for a small section, however it is basically a two inch pipe leading into the muffler. Thus you don't need a pipe any larger than as that pipe is the determining size of the exhaust system.

I mentioned crush bent as it is much more affordable and more readily available, by going 2.25 inches crush bent you are necking down to about 2 inches in the bends as mentioned above. If you can get mandrel bent and are willing to spend the extra dough, then 2 inches is a good size IMO. That MBRP midpipe is a very nice piece though and a good price, definitely worth looking at for the money.

JOey

wtfOO
06-26-2003, 01:05 AM
thanks for the hlep, as soon as i get a job, haha, i think im gonna look into having a custom one made. i dont know what the difference would be between a custom and the MBRP one.

civic hatch boi
06-26-2003, 09:32 AM
i have a 3.5" midpipe with stock muffler. i love it. low hum .. only sucky part is i have to floor it just to get going :( my mpg is only 19 now.

kenis138
06-26-2003, 10:12 AM
3.5!!!! OMG! What made you decide to go that route? Going for the "car with the lowest torque" project? JP;)