PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the Subwoofer that requires the smallest enlosure

ssvr6
06-25-2003, 04:35 AM
I want to run a single 8 or 10 in my hatch (amplified) but I want one that can work in the smallest of places. I don't want a huge ass box, just a small little somthing on the side of the car. (Like all of the failed fiberglass enclosures. ;) )

Any Suggestions?

Steve

alex_mathews
06-25-2003, 05:49 AM
I remember Paxie mentioning the JL Audio 8w7 as a good small subwoofer choice.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/8W7.html

Jpax
06-25-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by alex_mathews
I remember Paxie mentioning the JL Audio 8w7 as a good small subwoofer choice.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/8W7.html

Aww yes the 8w7 this little boy will pack a walop in your car steve, Its perfect with jsut a little under 1cu. ft. .875 cu. ft on there site, and you can have it fiberglassed in to your car, it will pound and make you think you have a single 10 in the car. in reallity this is all you need with 250watts (clean) you will love it. :D

BlackNRedSi
06-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Steve.... If i were you, i would go with a ProSeries Boston Acoustic Sub! They are oooh so nice

8" recommended enclosure is .3 c ft.
50-750 watts you can put to the little thing...and trust me steve, even if you max out your amp to 750 to the sub it wont bust...Boston makes crazy subs/speakers....very underated company...

I know you are the type of guy that likes to go against the grain, i suggest you get this little beast, instead of getting a JL

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/images/4x4/8_5LF.JPG

Bostons Website...this link brings you right to the Boston Sub (http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=97&CategoryID=17)

Eric

Jpax
06-25-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
Steve.... If i were you, i would go with a ProSeries Boston Acoustic Sub!

I know you are the type of guy that likes to go against the grain, i suggest you get this little beast, instead of getting a JL

Eric

Well if your going to spend the money then get a TDX 10D2
from diamond audio, it will sound better then that boston and jl

TDX 10D4

General
Kevlar Nomex sandwich cone
Die Cast aluminum basket
Neodynium magnet
huge dual voice coils
Dual spiders with woven tinsel leads.
Specifications
Power(W RMS):1500
Impedance (ohms): Dual 4
Sensitivity (dB SPL): 90 (2.83-V input @ 1 meter)
Freq. Resp: 23Hz-250Hz(

BlackNRedSi
06-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Yeah Paxie! I woulda suggested that myself, didnt know if steves pockets went that deep...I mean i know he is MrTurbo over here :) JK but i didnt know if he wanted to spend alot on a sub or not....

But yeah steve, if u want to spend the extra LOOT go for Paxies Suggestion...Well shit Steve you can go wrong with either of the 3 subs Paxie and i suggested...

JL=Great everyone has them, but they are still great...Especially the new ones (thats why i got one!:) )

Boston= Extra Great, I havent seen 1 person i know have Boston SUB that is...But i do know for a fact that they are a great sub...I have heard them in a demo car that was being built @ Perzan Audio WOW!

Diamonds=Well sht they speak for themselves! Great sub!

ssvr6
06-26-2003, 07:40 AM
Where can I find good prices on these?

Steve

BlackNRedSi
06-26-2003, 07:50 AM
JL you can find prices anywhere on the net for good deals....

Boston and Diamond your going to have to go into a retailer, they wont quote you over the phone...

on bostons website, you can get a 8inch Proseries for 200 dollars...

10 inch like 250....

Now with Diamond your going to have to go into a retailer, check around...they have a retailer lookup on their website...

Now if i were you, if you get the Diamond OR the boston, dont DONT go cheap on your amp you buy...Get something ya kno, nice...Especially if your going to pimp one of the two subs...

Thats just my opinion....

Eric

ssvr6
06-26-2003, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure what I want to do to be honest. I think that the JL is going to be my best bet for now. As far as amps go, I'll only be powering the sub, any recomendations?

Steve

BlackNRedSi
06-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Are you looking to get the JL 8 inch sub or 10 inch sub?

If either or, i would match it up with a small JL amp, or a Boston amp...

You could get something like a Rockford amp too if you dont want to spend alot...

it all depends on what you are looking to spend...name a price you want to spend, i will make a few calls to my friend chris see if he has good prices for you...he'll cut a discount

2k3vbpEP
06-27-2003, 08:51 PM
A JL Audio 10w6v2 is another nice sub. It needs a bit larger of an enclosure but not a huge one. It uses a little over .65 cuft and if built to JL specs you should have room to mount the amp on the back and top of the box and have it fit behind the seat on the drivers side.

BlackNRedSi
06-27-2003, 09:10 PM
i think he is looking for something that he can mount stealth type...i can be wrong tho...

steve?

ssvr6
06-27-2003, 09:39 PM
I'll most likely get an 8" sub and mount the amp somewhere out of sight.

I'm just not ready to buy now since I'm still working on my transmission.

Steve

2k2civicSi
06-27-2003, 11:16 PM
i would just go cheap and simple JL 10w3

What are you doing to your tranny??

BlackNRedSi
06-28-2003, 08:02 AM
no no steve, dont go getting a cheap JL 10 w3....

save the extra loot and get a nice JL w6v2 8....

the new jl sub is alot better quality than the old design

ssvr6
06-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
What are you doing to your tranny??

I need a new clutch, Quaiffe LSD, and lightened flywheel. It's a never ending process. :)

Steve

EP3_DC5
06-28-2003, 09:26 AM
You should just pick up my Infinity Basslink for $169 shipped. If you don't like it, I'll just refund you your money.

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16246

Nighthawk Si
07-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Elemental Designs (http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/aseries.htm)

The 10A.22 is what I've got and it handles crazy power, gets reasonably loud (actually, its very loud for a single 10), is amazing on SQ (I would rank it with absolutely any 10" driver on the planet for that), and works in a half a cube! The 8A.44 is supposed to be nice, too, but I haven't heard it. It works in only .3 cf. I think JayDub has a couple of those (I know he has at least one and was talking about a second).

PS: That looks like a title up there but its actually a link :)

EKthenEPnow
07-04-2003, 06:21 PM
2 JL 6W-0's (ported)

Small, cheap, light, crisp, fast, tight, musical,

End of story

ssvr6
07-04-2003, 09:31 PM
What about just 1 8? I'm looking to use the space in the right front of the hatch. (To the right when you open the hatch.)

I don't think I could fit 2 6's in there. While the sound might be better with 2 than the 1. I'm really more interested in the overall size.

Would I be better off with the 8" then?

Steve

natesi
07-05-2003, 12:36 AM
I have an Infinity Basslink with my stock system and love it. You can't go wrong, especially for the price--trust me. Extremely lightweight and small too; something around 20 lbs, but it feels half that. It sounds better (not louder) than my friends two 12".

EKthenEPnow
07-05-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
What about just 1 8? I'm looking to use the space in the right front of the hatch. (To the right when you open the hatch.)

I don't think I could fit 2 6's in there. While the sound might be better with 2 than the 1. I'm really more interested in the overall size.

Would I be better off with the 8" then?

Steve

Simply put:

No

The 2 6's would work in about the same combined airspace as the single eight (assuming ported enclosures)

You also have the luxury of breaking up the enclosure(2 boxes) and separating the drivers

This has several advantages;

-being able to load the drivers off of two separate parts of the hatch (rear and side for example)

-2 drivers will be louder than 1equivalent driver (by about 3db)

Whatever you want.

Most people are afraid of the 6" and it does take a good install to pull it off (the opposite end of the spectrum, anyone can make a 15" loud)