PDA

View Full Version : 1st accident...Mom hit my car

kenis138
06-25-2003, 05:55 AM
What a shitty situation. I had left my car parked in my mom's driveway while I sent my ECU to Hondata. She's not used to having other cars in the driveway and drives an eclipse convertible with zero visability while backing up. So, she was backing out and clipped my pass rear fender and a lil of the bumper. :(
So, I need some advice for people who have had body work done on these.....
From what I can see, the whole rear side panel of our car is made from one GIGANTIC piece, so this whole thing would need to be replaced, as well as the whole bumper cover. This seems like A LOT of work to fix a small area of damage. PLUS, I have heard some horror stories about the inability of body shops (Honda or otherwise) to effectively blend the silver paint.
So what do you guys think? Should I go through the regular insurance channels, tie up my car for a month, and risk the chance of poor fittiment and shitty color blending? Or, should I just go to the body shop I know very well and have my friend work on the small area to the best of his ability with some touch up paint and a ding king? Thanks y'all!

btw- If I did go through the insurance company, am I obligated to fix it the way they want me to? Just a question for any insurance people here.

kenis138
06-25-2003, 12:25 PM
geez, over 50 views and not one reply, thanks for the support guys:confused:

Zero Three Si
06-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Man I would smack the $#*! out of her.....nah i'm just playin....

Much luv for ya bro...

My dad is a fireman so he FLYS out of the garage when there is an emergency.....

He's totaled 2 of my civics.....

You know what I did....

I GOT MY OWN CRIB!!!!:cool:

skooba
06-25-2003, 01:24 PM
i guess take it to your friends shop and have him work on it, but try and strike a deal that if he cant get it fixed all the way then you wont pay him full price. give him a shot at it, otherwise just try plan B and wait it out a month.

master7
06-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Sue your moms in THE PEOPLE'S COURT:D

NAh....... just try to deal with a good body shop, check out their work, leave the insurance company out of it- is your moms going to help pay since it was her fault? i mean the whole job shouldnt be more than a few hundred;)

IceD out N CALI
06-25-2003, 03:33 PM
sucks bro, your'e right pretty shitty

ApexinSi
06-25-2003, 07:39 PM
hey so i have damage to my rear passenger corner panel.. A few shops said they'd have to replace the corner panel and other shops could repair it... and I need a new rear bumper.. .WHICH I STILL CAN'T FIND SO ANYONE WITH ONE GIVE IT UP.. SATIN SILVER !!!
estimates went from $1,300 - $4k
As far as the paint blending.. You get what you pay for... remember that. and if I were u I'd get it fixed professionaly...no touch up paint or pop-a-dent b/s(although I have seen them work good on some dents). yours doesn't sound as bad as mine.. I got some pictures of it somewhere.. let me look

here they are.. hope this makes u feel better..
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18839/p/294180_7982334769780692229_vl.jpg http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18839/p/294178_4153449734196002828_vl.jpg

Right Rear Corner Panel (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=OUTER+PANELS) - $536.98
Rear Bumper Cover (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=BUMPERS) - $171.43

Hope This Helps!

furious
06-26-2003, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by kenis138
geez, over 50 views and not one reply, thanks for the support guys:confused:

normally I would have a smartass reply to such a catastrophy (for kicks), but it's your MOM dude!:eek:

I would go with a pro-job like ApexinSi mentioned...personally, I'd take my mom out shopping so that she won't feel bad for damaging her babyboy's ride and I DEFINATELY would sure as hell NOT ask her to pay for jack (ok, I'm a mama's boy:o )

So, pro-job, be nice to mom, and kindly ask that she down the softtop prior to backing out next time...:D

kenis138
06-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Yeah, it happened right before my girl and I went over to her house for dinner. Did I mention it was her birthday too? That made it even shittier. After a few bottles of wine, we all found the situation a bit more humorous ;)

And no, my damage is nowhere near as extensive as that pic...OUCH! But it is located in the same spot on the side there.

S2kGirl
06-26-2003, 07:15 AM
I'm not sure if it's different in RI, but in IL, you can take your car whereever you want to. It can sometimes make it a little more complicated, but well worth the effort in my opinion. I actually just had a claim and didn't go with the other guy's insurance company's recommended shops, but the one I chose and the ins. co. just worked it out between themselves. Came out beautifully and headache free.

LASI02
06-28-2003, 10:44 PM
I just got an Accord print taken out of the drivers side of my car so I feel your pain. Be very careful with the silver, I had to take my car back for a spot that didn't blend well. Goodluck with your car.

2k2civicSi
06-28-2003, 11:05 PM
dont report it and just buy a body kit

l33t
06-29-2003, 01:09 AM
my mom hit my front fender and dented my whole drivers side door fir my first car accident, in my conclusion women and females in general are the worst thing on the road

civic hatch boi
06-29-2003, 02:18 AM
you should sock her in the neck. jk

HK_EP3
06-29-2003, 02:42 AM
I have body work done to my rear quarter panel. Shops will not replace the whole peice of it. They will buy a new quarter panel, cut it off from the rear window's bottom, all the way around to the bottom of passenger side's door. then they will replace that part by molding the new quarter panel in, then paint it. I had mine done i while back because of hit and run in a parking lot. It cost me $3300.00. and u need ur rear bumper replaced too... look forward to a $4000.00 statement :D :D :D

DHeffernan
07-13-2003, 02:35 PM
sounds like you got fucked over paying 3300... its cheaper straight from honda.. the rear bumper is like 160 and the side panel is 650... paint isnt THAT expensive... it pays to shop around....

civicpimp
07-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Holy crap! The same thing happened to me. I was home visiting the folks, parked in the drive way when all of the sudden I heard my alarm go off. I go out to see why my alarm was tripping and I see my mom's CRV in my front bumper. It wasn't to bad but I now have the perfect circle of an exhaust right in the middle of the bumper. Good thing she didn't keep on going, she might have driven right over the the hood.

kenis138
07-14-2003, 05:53 AM
well, the car is all set. Body shop in my moms building hooked us up, did a fantastic job...looks brand new. So, no harm, no foul!