PDA

View Full Version : Tire/Road noise??

cmk05
06-25-2003, 07:52 AM
For the past 1000 miles or so, I've noticed my stock MXV4s getting a little louder.
At 9k miles, I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise.

I know most of you guys aren't driving your si's like grammies (except for that dude getting like 35 mpg) - does anyone else notice their tires getting louder?

The sound I'm getting, which I find unusual, is a sort of sticky, rubbing sound. It's really quiet and I can hear it only if there isn't much ambient noise, the radio's off, windows rolled down, and I'm rolling on smooth asphalt.

Actually, it kinda sounds like i'm dragging a plastic shopping bag under my car.

Maybe I should just get rid of these crappe stock tires.

silver ep
06-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Did you check the tire pressure and check if theres any rocks or anything in the tread? It sounds kinda strange, I have a similar noise and Im in the process of trying to figure out if its the tire or something in the engine, are you positive its the tire?

BlasTech
06-25-2003, 08:04 AM
That sounds like maybe the edge of the tread scalloping. I had that happen to me 10 yrs ago in my 84 hatch.

You may need a rotation & balance & alignment, or ask the Honda people if you go in for a 10,000 mile checkup.

silver ep
06-25-2003, 08:12 AM
tread scalloping
How can you identify if thats happened?

cmk05
06-25-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm pretty good about keeping the pressure at 32lbs all around. Tried rotating the tires a few weeks ago, but it still seems to be coming from the tires on the left side.
It's not such a loud noise and hasn't gotten any louder in the past month/1k mi.

I think it's coming from the tires because the noise seems proportional to the rotation of the tires - but could be wrong - i thought for a while that i had a rattle in the dash - turned out to the metal links on my watch while going over certain superslab expansion joints- you dumbass stoner!

Do CV joints make any noise?

It's pretty quiet - and passengers can hear it only when they try real hard - but i have a tendancy to hyperfocus on squeaks and rattles my car's making and make myself go nuts.

todaCspec
06-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Michelins are noisey............