PDA

View Full Version : Best way to launch?

Whoisray
06-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Been driving my new SI for about 2 weeks now. Apparently, I learned how to drive stick on it and as of now, I can tackle most situations without a problem (stop/go, hills).

The thing I have trouble on is a hard launch. I tend to slowly let my clutch catch on first then shifting to second. While this is good in stop and go traffic, it doesn't work well when merging on to a high way.

I am sure there are other noobs like me that would like to know the best way to hard launch without any damage to your trans or clutch.

So whats the best way to launch? Thanks

jerky
06-25-2003, 04:27 PM
i dunno, gun it? merging shouldn't be a problem. keep it at a lower gear longer i guess.

TrippZ
06-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by jerky
i dunno, gun it? merging shouldn't be a problem. keep it at a lower gear longer i guess.

yeah the si looks like a Sissy car, so you really just gotta mash on the pedal and be aggressive. That's in texas though, everyones a fucking dickhead.

cbecker333
06-25-2003, 04:45 PM
the best advice I can give for hard launches, soft launches, and almost every other situation is this:
Move your foot out until the clutch pedal gets to the friction point (when the clutch begins to engage) and HOLD IT right about there for a moment (length of this moment depends on the situation) before gradually letting it up the rest of the way. This gives the trans. & front axle a chance to begin matching speed with the engine BEFORE you apply more pressure to the plate in the clutch. When you fully engage the clutch, the speeds of the two surfaces making contact w/in the clutch will be closer, meaning less friction, and thus longer clutch life.

Obviously, launching harder will always take more years off your clutch, no matter how skilled you are.....