PDA

View Full Version : TrippZ's Eyelid Design Nightmare!

TrippZ
06-26-2003, 09:40 AM
Holy Crap! Let me just say, when people charge so much for custom stuff that has to be done on the computer - they do it for a reason!

I saw the people, I forgot who, but they were doing eyelids for $15 shipped. I was like, hm, I'd rather not, I can make them myself! Bad idea. It took me about one week to finally get them right, and I went through about $80 of vinyl trying to get it done.

Holy craaaap. And let me tell you, going in and out of 100 degree heat and 75 degree coolness is major stress on the body. My head was going to pop, thats how bad of a headache I had.

I'll look at it like a learning experience... but here you guys go. Here's the amount of vinyl I totally wasted.

TrippZ
06-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Another angle

TrippZ
06-26-2003, 09:47 AM
See this little roll? This was too long to unroll. Its about tripple the length of all the eyelids on the floor.

The things I do to save a buck! ... Like spending $80 to save $15! GOD WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!

But look on the plus side... I can sell eyelids now for a fraction of the cost that the other guys sell it for... :D ;)

ssvr6
06-26-2003, 09:51 AM
Why didn't you make a template out of paper, scan it, and then make your test plots?

Steve

CleanBlackSi02
06-26-2003, 09:52 AM
I couldn't stand the vinyl eyelids I had made. The light would show through the top and the bubbles never went away. (They were applied by the guy at the vinyl shop who made 'em.) Hopefully your design and vinyl will make it so this wont happen. Lets see some pics on your car...

TrippZ
06-26-2003, 10:14 AM
forgot the pic ;p

IceD out N CALI
06-26-2003, 11:12 AM
show me some pics of those on your car:) ;)

Civicvtec1ps
06-26-2003, 11:14 AM
i would like to see some final pictures.

TrippZ
06-26-2003, 11:28 AM
but of course ;)

this was the day i did them. something some of you guys might notice with the eyelids you bought is that after you initially apply them, a day later they have bubbles! I'm still working on the little bubble situation.

If you guys got a little squeegee, that might be the problem. My dad (he's the one who got the vinyl stuff) said that if you wanted it to get rid of all the water and air insude, you'd need to use something alot more flexible - like a towel. I'll have to see. Here's the headlights with my lids on em

IceD out N CALI
06-26-2003, 11:30 AM
the actual design doesnt look too bad. does it look cheap in person?

civic hatch boi
06-26-2003, 11:36 AM
it'd look better on a black car.

TrippZ
06-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Why didn't you make a template out of paper, scan it, and then make your test plots?

Steve

thats the funny part, I had a picture of Subliminal Si's eyelids, still on backing paper. I had tried to do it off that, didnt work.

my dad saw me plotting out hundreds of eye lids and finally showed me how to do it properly. i wasted about 5 days doing it the ghetto way.

my dad pwnz me. he is teh smartee. i r teh tahrd.

TrippZ
06-26-2003, 11:45 AM
Right now, I'll be honest, and say yes, it does look cheap. That's because I applied it improperly and when you're within 2 feet you can tell that there are a few bubbles. I dont want to sell these or anything untill I can figure out how to apply them correctly (its a curved surface, as you know, and thats a bitch to work with).

civic hatch boi - good to see you back... since you havent been here for a while, you wouldn't knwo that im making my EP yello and black. All I'm missing is the tint, rims, cf hood, and gotta paint my headlights. Getting the tint and rims before summer ends, so I'm pretty close! :)

DetroitRiot
06-26-2003, 11:51 AM
when i put griptape on skateboards, sometimes you get bubbles, what we do is take a needle, razor, tack, ect. and poke a small hole in the bubble then push the air out.

hope that helps

IceD out N CALI
06-26-2003, 11:54 AM
keep working at it, you'll get it down:)

TrippZ
06-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by DetroitRiot
when i put griptape on skateboards, sometimes you get bubbles, what we do is take a needle, razor, tack, ect. and poke a small hole in the bubble then push the air out.

hope that helps

see, i want to design somethign that doesnt require you to do that. im pretty close, it just needs some coaxing

C1V1C
06-26-2003, 08:47 PM
hey, you should check out my messed up fiberglass box for my EP... at least I learn something. I'll invade the market real soon ........... :)

Keep going man ... never give up ! even some people couldn't cut a circle on a paper .........

Good Luck !