PDA

View Full Version : The Ep is not a Civic

snubnose
06-26-2003, 05:59 PM
It is often said of the Ep, "Hey, it's just a Civic." But have you ever thought about this? It's not true.

It may be true that an EVO is a Lancer, an STI is an Impreza, and and SRT is a Neon. However....

Our EP shares absolutely no sheet metal with this or any other Civic. It is a design completely unique unto itself. There has never been any Honda, any Civic in history that looked like our EP.

So in what sense is our EP a Civic? Well, it says "Civic" on the back. But that's about it.

The EP is an EP. It is not a Civic.

Type X
06-26-2003, 06:03 PM
thats funny my title says civic on it

"shrug"
:D

snubnose
06-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Okay, let me be clearer. The EP is called a "Civic." But it looks like no Civic on the road. The body style is completely separate from all other Hondas.

Type X
06-26-2003, 06:10 PM
when i read your posts i picture u looking like spock from star trek

1abSi
06-26-2003, 06:11 PM
hahahhahahaha

snubnose
06-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Type X
when i read your posts i picture u looking like spock from star trek

Well, yes I do.

AlBlueCar
06-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Yes... This Civic is the only hatchback Civic in USA, therefore it cannot be a Civic. It has nothing in common with Civics at all. In any way shape or form. Must have been one continous typo on Honda's part. Or a conspiracy.

snubnose
06-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Okay, let me be clearer. Forget it, I'm wrong.

02TafWhtSi
06-26-2003, 06:17 PM
I thought the EP originates from the Civic chassis - just like the CR-V...:confused:

AlBlueCar
06-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Don worry, I was just playin asshole for awhile.:D

Type X
06-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by snubnose
Okay, let me be clearer. Forget it, I'm wrong.

we're just busting your chops

dont pull out the phaser on us :)

i mean i like my car up to a point
but i been dibbin' and dabbin' at Mercedes & Infiniti lately thinking of jumping into a 700 a month payment and calling it quits on the "civic thing"

i mean i love my car and odd of pulling up to my exact car are ULTRA minimal

but something about a 40k benz with 20's just gives me a chubby
:cool:

AlBlueCar
06-26-2003, 06:25 PM
If you get a Benz, i'll take your car for you.:D

How old are you anyways? I can understand the Benz if you're 35+, but below that, Benzs are too stodgy...And automatic (the bastards) (except for the C and SLK i know they're stick but who cares)

myeverlovinsir
06-26-2003, 06:26 PM
I agree that it's a unique "civic", but do what I and others
have done, just remove the rear civic emblem. Problem solved
and many more curious spectators.:D

2k2civicSi
06-26-2003, 06:40 PM
if you didnt want a civic you shouldnt have bought a civic given its a nice civic its still a civic

RMC22
06-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Type X

we're just busting your chops

dont pull out the phaser on us :)

i mean i like my car up to a point
but i been dibbin' and dabbin' at Mercedes & Infiniti lately thinking of jumping into a 700 a month payment and calling it quits on the "civic thing"

i mean i love my car and odd of pulling up to my exact car are ULTRA minimal

but something about a 40k benz with 20's just gives me a chubby
:cool:

You confuse me man. A benz with 20" blango blangoz? That's like the exact opposite of what you're driving now. I mean, you obviously have money. Why even stick with the SI? You always talk about getting something else. Why not an STi or EVO? And no consideration towards an M3? But seriously, I gotta ask.. Do you live at home? You're dropping larges liek nothing every couple weeks, if I had that flow I'd be in a different car.

Type X
06-26-2003, 06:58 PM
yes i live rent free ;)

i am 23
in a finished basement
for the last 5 years i had a gf to buy shit for
and the last year i have been single
so where i used to be able to drop 200 i can drop 600 out of my paycheck towards my car stuff ;)

i mean i love the evo and things but i dunno
i am Mr Indecisive :(

change my mind daily just ask chuck from showstoppers

we talk daily about future plans for the vehicles
and its from one thing to another

SmoothOperator
06-26-2003, 07:08 PM
Dude no offence, but keep the car you've got now, and move the hell outta your parents basement. Otherwise you'll be stuck there forever.

Living at home=no tail. No matter what you're driving.

There's a guy in my hometown driving the SWEETEST beemer. Wins show after show. He's 30 and lives with mommy and daddy. :rolleyes:

Brettnyt
06-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
I thought the EP originates from the Civic chassis - just like the CR-V...:confused:

The how come the CR-V is not called a civic..... BUM bum BUMMMMM!!!!!!! lol :)

redronin22
06-26-2003, 07:47 PM
IT's not like any other civic out there....

but it sure as hell looks like an Odessy =-)

513n179
06-26-2003, 07:51 PM
i own a 2003 honda CIVIC si... it's a CIVIC and will always be a CIVIC... it may look different and all, but it's still a CIVIC...

so what you're saying would also include the ctr, and that the type r is also not a civic? it's an ep type r? i don't think so...

i think you got too much free time on your hands and to think your car isn't a CIVIC, i'd say you're trippin'...

be proud of that fact that you drive a CIVIC. it's a great car and will be around for generations.

NamingException
06-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Well, it's not really a Civic, is it? Isn't it a Honda Fit, and since it was convenient for them didn't Honda send it over here with a bigger engine and brand it "Civic"?

chubbychu
06-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Maybe we should have up a name for our cars, and make some custom badges so we can call it something else...because i do agree...civic is so..looked down upon. Anyone have any suggestions?

how about a epivic lol

IceD out N CALI
06-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by NamingException
Well, it's not really a Civic, is it? Isn't it a Honda Fit, and since it was convenient for them didn't Honda send it over here with a bigger engine and brand it "Civic"?

it is similar to the fit, but it has slightly different sheetmetal all the way around from the looks of it in pics

hondafiend02
06-26-2003, 10:02 PM
i agree yo our cars are not civics sure thats ther name but that is it -its funny tho how 4 some reason all other civics think ther faster just because of rumors that our cars are slow -sure slow when u compare them to evos and sti and srt but cmon are car is a very good baseline unlike all other CIVICS which all need motor swaps

RMC22
06-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Definitely a Civic..
There just aren't other USDM hb's. Plus, it does look like a boxier version of the older gen hb's.

gpt
06-26-2003, 11:38 PM
the other day the security at my work sent out an e-mail about a Mazda Protege in the parking lot which didn't have a decal in the window - when I looked closer at the e-mail I saw it was my license plate. I have removed my Civic badge so it seems my car is not a Civic but in their eyes at least it is a Protege .... doh:D

HgSi
06-27-2003, 12:24 AM
The EP is the European version of the Civic. That's how the Civic looks over there. Even the run-of-the-mill ones. You can get them with diesel engines, too. They even have a 5 door version (the EU, I believe it is). The coupe and sedan are designed for the American and Japanese markets only. The coupe is available in Europe, but no one buys it, because unlike Americans, Europeans don't like anything with a trunk that sticks out, such as a coupe or a sedan. That's why the Jetta, which is wildly popular here, doesn't sell well in Europe, but the Golf is very popular. Anyway, its not a Fit, like someone suggested. The Fit is called the Jazz in Europe.

SiR Medic
06-27-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
Dude no offence, but keep the car you've got now, and move the hell outta your parents basement. Otherwise you'll be stuck there forever.

Living at home=no tail. No matter what you're driving.

There's a guy in my hometown driving the SWEETEST beemer. Wins show after show. He's 30 and lives with mommy and daddy. :rolleyes:

LOL!!

Yeah really! I'm a TOTAL GEEK and I know enough not to live with my parents!

You all ready got a sweet enough ride... Time to get yer own crib!:cool:

TEKBRAIN
06-27-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by HgSi
The EP is the European version of the Civic. That's how the Civic looks over there. Even the run-of-the-mill ones. You can get them with diesel engines, too. They even have a 5 door version (the EU, I believe it is). The coupe and sedan are designed for the American and Japanese markets only. The coupe is available in Europe, but no one buys it, because unlike Americans, Europeans don't like anything with a trunk that sticks out, such as a coupe or a sedan. That's why the Jetta, which is wildly popular here, doesn't sell well in Europe, but the Golf is very popular. Anyway, its not a Fit, like someone suggested. The Fit is called the Jazz in Europe.
At least, one American who knows something about the world...

STP03BlueSI
06-27-2003, 05:02 AM
i thought the SRT-4 was a skittle

http://www.msprotege.com/members/03MzdSpdSTP/neonskittles.jpg

pic i found on a skite :D :p: :o

Dunrick
06-27-2003, 08:09 AM
You indecisive fuckers with your free rent....

me > you

HAHA(AHH()AHA)(A

LordKoo
06-27-2003, 09:30 AM
EP is a Civic. Look at how the lines of the EP compare with the old EG. It is seen like EP has better define and robust shape from EG. But the gene is there!

Si-Sissy-PA
06-27-2003, 09:51 AM
It's a Marketing Thing - Imagine if they introduced it as a new model - "The Honda Jazz Hatchback"

It'd suddenly not be so appealing.

But coming from the "Long line of quick and fun to drive ... blah blah blah Civic heritage blah blah ..." is a good good thing.

But I mean, I think the Ep3 is superior in so many ways.

I'll be the first to admit it... I was in love with the 99ish Civic Si Coupe --- but I took a drive in the Ep (Those Honda salespeople gave me the keys for a whole day - dammit, and i was hooked)

There's no comparison, our car is so much more refined, the interior treatment is excellent, the fit and finish is amazing... and OUR CAR HAS LEGROOM... imagine that --- in a Honda.

and it's so unsuspecting --- it's the most deceptive little beast out there... that's what makes it so special.

513n179
06-27-2003, 11:12 AM
it's still just a CIVIC...

hamlet9634
06-27-2003, 12:18 PM
the EP has just as much in common with the other civics as the RSX (non-S) does. They all ride on the same frame, they don't share any body or interior components or any engine or transmission parts.

if the EP is a civic.. the RSX is a civic, too =)

blueiedgod
06-27-2003, 03:35 PM
EP, coupe, sedan, CR-V, RSX(S), Stream are all Civic.
Just like TL, CL and Legend are Accord
Pilot and MDX are Oddysey
The only of one of.. are S2000 and insight, alhtough I suspect a 91 CRX is at the heart of insight.
This is the way Honda stays afloat. Honda is one of the smallest car manufacturing companies. It is a huge engine company, but as far as cars are concerned it is very small. Honda used to build all of its models on the same line, so by having the same platform Honda did not have to invest greately in retooling, and could switch from making an Accord one night to Civic in the morning. Nowdays, Honda has grew, but still retained its model sharing tactics.
Many manufacturers are follwing Honda's lead in one platform for all.
VW: Golf, jetta, passat, bettle, A4, and A6 are all built on the same platform with some modifications
GM: Catera, saturn L (and S), malibu, and Saab 93(5) are all based on Opel's platform. New Saab 92 is basically a WRX with inline turbo 4.
Ford: Jaguar (X and S), Mazda 626 (older version not the new 6) are built on Taurus/Sable platform.

So EP is a civic. Even thoug it does not share sheetmetal with the curent civic, structurally it is civic. Civic coupe does not share sheetmetal with the Sedan, but it is a civic (run through honda catalog for the front fender they are different part numbers for the coupe and sedan, at least they were for gen 6)

sniperSI
06-27-2003, 04:26 PM
It's ok 'X i was thinking about moving back home to save cash for a turbo before my girl anad I get a house lol.

Stay home until your ready to move out. Another sysadmin at my work is 22, lives at home we get 'paid' but i can only imagine what its like having no bills but my car ::: sigh :::

But move out before 25!

Oh and hmmm. I'm undecided on this civic issue. I say, honda calls it civic I call it civic BUT

I like "It's a honda SI".

yeah and another thing, those damn ex owners. It's like the sentra se guys are saying they can beat se-rs. What are the EX owners thinking. Do they really think a car company would make a 'top of the line performance" type class of civic, just to have it upstaged by the run of the mill civics? That show's how deeply people want their cars to be fast. Just like the SI owners ::cough cough::: :o

02TafWhtSi
06-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
EP, coupe, sedan, CR-V, RSX(S), Stream are all Civic.

Thank You.
You see Brettnyt?

HoustonSi
06-28-2003, 12:41 PM
I dont have a problem with what he is saying because it is true. Our car is unto itself completely unique of the standard Civic line sold here in America. But in Europe and Japan the Civic line is actually seperated into two classes. Cars like ours "the high class" and kinds like the ex lx and dx. In fact in Europe the have five door versions of our car like the focus does here.

SmoothOperator
06-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Funny story that's pertinant....
I was hanging out with this chick a few days ago, and I introduced her to a friend of mine. At the time we were discussing cars, and she asked me what kind of car he drove, so I said "a suped up 5th gen civic". She immediately said "why? Does he have small penis syndrome?" and laughed. I grabbed her and said "Hey!! I drive a civic punkass!!!". She continued to say..."OMG i totally forgot! Well, yours isn't really just a civic, it's an SiR for gods sakes!".

Can we say "KEEPER"? :D

iR-VTEC2
06-28-2003, 04:06 PM
to my knowledge....the EP3 has quite a few body shapes in europe and japan