PDA

View Full Version : Tein Basic Damper installed!!!

CleanBlackSi02
06-27-2003, 06:36 PM
General feelings:
Well, I finally got my Tein Basic coilovers installed... What a difference they make! So far I've been on stock struts with GC's and then Neuspeed Race springs and this setup is (obviously) worlds better. The 2001+ Civic GC's were bouncy and didn't provide tight cornering, while the Neuspeed Race springs were way to stiff and harsh for my taste...and eventually led to the downfall of my stock struts. The Tein Basic damper is a very good value for those that don't need ride adjustability. Oh, I didn't install them myself...the install, alignment, and camber adjustment was done at everyones favorite....Cybernation! (BTW it took almost six hours...I was told three, so I decided to wait. I was there all day long! Sucked.)

Setup:
I have it lowered around 1.9" in the front and 1.75"ish in the rear. There's a half finger gap in the front and a thumb gap in the rear...just the way I wanted it! It took some time getting it even though! The car is equipped with 215/40/17 Nitto 450's and Rota Subzeros.

Cruising:
As far as highway driving and cruising, they were super smooth most of the time, but I noticed a bit more bounce than I would like to have. Not BAD though by any means...just more than I would like. Not harsh on rough spots in the road or dips like my Race springs. I've still gotta slow down big time for railroad tracks...but that applies to most lowered cars.

Aggressive driving:
I took the car to a few spots that have "twisty" sections (as twisty as it gets in Florida) and pushed the cars handling a bit...
Wow! I could take this thing through turns that I would have had to slow down for at full speed. The bounciness that I noticed during normal driving was obsolete when I was pushing the suspension. I'll probably get some kind of front strut bar to further stiffen the rigidity, but it's fine even without it. I haven't finished my "testing" yet, but I'm sure it'll provide more positive results.

Problems:
-I noticed a bit of creaking in the rear left, but I will wait a week or two until they're all broken in to follow up on it.
-It took forever to get the right stance...but that's any coilover set!
-Not too cheap...but considering the cost of separate coilovers and Koni's...it seems much nicer.

Where to get 'em:
Showstoppers USA Tein Damper Sale (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15767&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

Conclusion:
Good buy. Cheaper than struts/coilovers and designed to fit the EP without modification! I'll try and post some pics once I find a willing photographer with a digicam.

I'll try and answer and questions I didn't cover.
-Mike

02TafWhtSi
06-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Sounds good! I wonder why they felt bouncy - maybe the struts aren't stiff enough?
Maybe I should go with the fully adjustable Tein setup (forget the name right now...) even though it IS $2K...Ouch! :o
Put up some pics of them installed if you can and also a pic of the car itself to see the ride height :)
Thanks!

CleanBlackSi02
06-27-2003, 06:52 PM
The struts are pretty stiff...it's the spring rates that are a bit low. The fully adjustable setup is called the Type Flex, but they also make the SS.

ssvr6
06-27-2003, 07:17 PM
You know I'll take pics for you Mike.

Steve

CleanBlackSi02
06-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Ok....I've got a clean car...lets take em. Now. ;)

EDIT: It already rained! :'(

nrrhgreg
06-27-2003, 09:58 PM
Sweet, these things sound pretty good so far. I've got a set that is about to be on the way from Showstoppers.

Do you know it took so long to install, align, all that stuff though? I'm planning on installing these myself and just want to know if they ran into any problems installing it, or if it was just mainly getting the stance right, aligning, etc.

CleanBlackSi02
06-28-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by nrrhgreg
Sweet, these things sound pretty good so far. I've got a set that is about to be on the way from Showstoppers.

Do you know it took so long to install, align, all that stuff though? I'm planning on installing these myself and just want to know if they ran into any problems installing it, or if it was just mainly getting the stance right, aligning, etc.
They took their time...one guy was working on it for like 3 hours...

Civicvtec1ps
06-28-2003, 07:53 AM
yea tein full coilovers are stiffer ....
let it settle couple days. take some hard turns
check out my rear drop with tein ss.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/civicvtec1ps

03BlueEP3
06-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Hey its Mike (from cybernation) I am glad you like the set up. I am probably gonna get that installed on mine. Don't for get to come back soon and get boosted :D :p :D

CleanBlackSi02
06-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Hey bro...I'll be back sooner than that. I'm bringing it in on Monday at 12:30 to have the clicking and creaking looked at in the right rear. Would you be able to check and make sure I'm on the calendar? Thanks!

02SilverSiHB
06-28-2003, 09:54 AM
It sounds like you have the same drop as I do. Do you by chance have the ingalls camber kit in the rear? The sound you hear...does it by chance sound like the classic squeaking, creaking of a bed :D I know sounds stupid, the only way I can describe it. My car was doing that for a while. It was real bad in the rear passenger side, then went away. I think it is the camber kit making that sound. Now I only get a creak when I get in the car, and that's it. Still working on getting rid of the sound.

ShowstoppersUSA
06-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the review Mike!!! You the man! Enjoy and test it out some more. I wanna hear how it is...

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

CleanBlackSi02
06-28-2003, 12:09 PM
I have SPC camber kits...

Chuck...any idea what might cause the creaking/clicking?

03BlueEP3
06-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
Hey bro...I'll be back sooner than that. I'm bringing it in on Monday at 12:30 to have the clicking and creaking looked at in the right rear. Would you be able to check and make sure I'm on the calendar? Thanks!

Just swing by and we'll get someone to look at it.
Enjoy the suspension!

02SilverSiHB
06-28-2003, 01:59 PM
I have SPC camber kits...

Chuck...any idea what might cause the creaking/clicking?
so it doesn't sound anything like what I described? I didn't mean to say that it could only be the ingalls, seeing how they are basically all the same.

CleanBlackSi02
06-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Yeah, its like a bed creaking... You found that it was your camber kits? Any ideas how to minimize the noise?

FailureToStop
06-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Does the EP Tein Basic manual say that it is for road use only?

02SilverSiHB
06-29-2003, 08:01 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but it seems that it is the camber kit. For some reason, when I raised my car up a little, about the same as yours, I started getting that noise. I'll try and figure it out later on in the week.

Oh, if it is the camber kit, I guess some type of grease, like white lithium grease, should help resolve the problem, just by adding some to the bushings of the camber kit.

Civicvtec1ps
06-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by FailureToStop
Does the EP Tein Basic manual say that it is for road use only?
my tein ss did.
"off road use only"

Bushido
06-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I'm not 100% sure, but it seems that it is the camber kit. For some reason, when I raised my car up a little, about the same as yours, I started getting that noise. I'll try and figure it out later on in the week.

Oh, if it is the camber kit, I guess some type of grease, like white lithium grease, should help resolve the problem, just by adding some to the bushings of the camber kit.

I believe there are two types of rear camber kits with different bushings..

Polyurethane bushings are designed for a performance like ride. Polyurethane may squeak if not properly lubricated. You should use a lubricant that will not wash away. Once the lubricant is washed out or contaminated from road grime the lubricant will no longer be effective. This can cause premature wear on the bushings. You will need to re-lubricate.
Rubber bushings are designed for the "street" use only vehicle. They provide a more factory like ride. These bushings do not need to be lubricated, but will not provide you with that "tight" suspension feel.

CleanBlackSi02
06-30-2003, 12:52 PM
My camber kits are rubber, so there would be no need to lubricate. I brought it in and had them check it out...they tightened everything up and took it for a spin. The noise is still there, but it's not super noticeable. If it gets worse I'll pursue it. In the mean time, I'm just going to enjoy my new Tein suspension setup!

02SilverSiHB
06-30-2003, 02:45 PM
My camber kits are rubber, so there would be no need to lubricate. I brought it in and had them check it out...they tightened everything up and took it for a spin. The noise is still there, but it's not super noticeable. If it gets worse I'll pursue it. In the mean time, I'm just going to enjoy my new Tein suspension setup!
yeah, mine our the rubber ones also. Mine isn't that bad either. Not a big deal, I'm just worried about it getting worse I guess.

Mr.02BlackSIguY
07-06-2003, 06:15 PM
how many tein setup are aviable for our cars? which is the best one?

03BlueEP3
07-06-2003, 08:39 PM
The Tein SS and The Tein Type Flex. The SS is about $900-$1,000and is your "basic" Tein kit. The Type Flex is about $1,800 and is more adjustable with damper and spring rate and shit like that. Unless you plan to AutoX the car you really don't need the Type Flex for everyday use. The SS will work fine for everyday use.

Mr.02BlackSIguY
07-06-2003, 09:45 PM
hey 03 blue... i went on the tein website and check to see what are avial. for our ep and SS is not there. all i saw was FLEX AND BASIC for our EP3. SS looks good, i want that but they dont make it. u sure they make it for our EP?

03BlueEP3
07-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Sorry I meant Basic not SS ... I guess my mind fram is still on my old car. (00 V6 Accord) the SS was out for that car. The Tein Basic is a great kit for street cars.

IceD out N CALI
07-07-2003, 01:36 AM
nice review. Did you ever find out about the creaking? did you get rid of it? thanks:)

Hatch, Si Hatch
07-28-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm interested in these Teins, but everyone keeps on saying that its good for a "street car." What if you're like me and like to auto-x on a regualr basis, will these coilovers hold up in that kind of situation? Also, is a camber kit required?

ShowstoppersUSA
07-28-2003, 11:19 AM
This system is perfect for Auto X. Camber kit will be needed if you want to slam your car under 2.0 inches.

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

Hatch, Si Hatch
07-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by ShowstoppersUSA
This system is perfect for Auto X. Camber kit will be needed if you want to slam your car under 2.0 inches.

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

Thanks Chuck, I don't have the funds right now(I'm working on it) but as soon as I do you can expect to hear from me, I'll most likely be ordering these along with a few neuspeed or progress strut or sway bars, still trying to figure out what I'll get the most benifit out of for the money.

Eric

ShowstoppersUSA
07-28-2003, 11:31 AM
No problem Eric. I got a whole mess of these in stock. Let me know whenever you are ready. Thanks!

Chuck
Showstoppers USA