PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Problem?!

SilVic
06-28-2003, 09:50 AM
I traded my old car due to synchro problems ('02 Civic EX) for a the Civic Si (the ride is great but still in break-in), anyhow, I heard you guys had transmission problems witht he synchros. Is that tranny problems in only the 2002 Si?
Is there going to be a recall? If not, maybe you guys should try to convince the main corporate office and ask them so they could do a recall and get your guys' stuff fixed. I wouldn't want a car that can't handle stock HP, let alone turbo/SC.

02SilverSiHB
06-28-2003, 09:58 AM
no grinding for me...20k miles so far.

Team
06-28-2003, 10:01 AM
I have a 2K3 and 8,000 miles and no problems yet... knock on wood

Adam

i02si
06-28-2003, 10:10 AM
I have a 2002 si 15,000 miles i have the tranny problem after fighting with honda there finally fixing it under warranty but it's been a month and no car yet they said monday forsure.:(

Lev
06-28-2003, 10:49 AM
When I find a cute one, I usually like to give them a little squeeze 'down there' to check for any tranny problems.

SilVic
06-28-2003, 10:49 AM
The problem was from powershifting/ revving high and shifting. I heard the transmission does not handle well just with the stock HP.

carbonSI
06-28-2003, 11:59 AM
at about 16k, my 3rd-4th gear synchros got messed, they took it in, fixed everything under warranty, gave me new shift forks, and some other stuff, the mechanic said the stock synchros are a peice, but he thinks the one warrantee replaces em with arent too bad, i got my car back out about 2 days ago and shiftin to 3rd was very nice at 7200 :D it grabbed like a champ and everything jsut seems smoother, im glad it was all free! good luck to people with synchro problems, its a pain in the ass -mike

simione
06-28-2003, 12:03 PM
i have a tranny problem. it is just how you stated revving it all the way up in first and bam into second sssccrratccchhhh!!!!!!
it really sucks but honda is fixing it on monday. thank god! its sux when you get into it with an svt focus and you cant get the car into second gear. it used to be just a minor grind that occasionally happened and now every time you drive the car hard from first to second it happens. it sux

glizard
06-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Good luck waiting for a recall on the manual transmissions
Honda is just having enough trouble replacing the shitty transmissions in the TL/CL/mdx/Odyessey/and accord automatics that they are gonna offer little or no assistance to a manual that has syncro problems/partly due to the driver and partly due to shitty tranny's
the best we could hope for is a warranty extention to 100k or 7yrs but i don't think that will ever happen.

SilVic
06-29-2003, 12:41 AM
So you think it's only '02 Si's or even the '03?

carbonSI
06-29-2003, 01:02 AM
messed up synchros can happen in any car, it just happens to happen a little more to hondas.

ephatchback
06-29-2003, 02:10 AM
The only problem i've had with my tranny, is when I am at an idle and I let off the clutch it makes a funny rattle noise. It's really loud in my garage.

blueiedgod
06-29-2003, 06:17 PM
mine does when its cold. i would start her up, and release the clutch, while in neutral, and i can hear the rattling, i assume that was the shafts inside the tranny spinning.

simione
06-30-2003, 08:20 PM
well honda fixed the tranny today. replaced the whole second gear and synchros and let me tell you that it shifts smoother in all of the gears. maybe all it needed was fluid change. but i haven't really got on it from first to second so i don't know if the problem is fixed. i saw on a post on here that our synchros cannot keep up with very fast shifts and i tend to believe it because on my 01 ex coupe it dit the same thing

SilVic
06-30-2003, 11:54 PM
simione, what did you say to the dealer to fix the problem? Also how long did it take? I'm going to tell them it hesitates to shift into 2nd & 3rd at above 3500 rpms. Do you think they'll change the synchros and do a tranny flush?

SiGirlNamedSong
07-01-2003, 01:15 AM
i've been having tranny problems ever since i bought it. what sucks is that it might take a while and i just dont have that kinda time to drop my car off and have no ride

Dunrick
07-01-2003, 07:30 AM
ES motor mount inserts seemed to have helped A LOT!

I rarely get crunchy shifting....Try shifting a little slower too, let the rpm's resettle a bit more before putting it in the next gear. That helps. Or just wait till all the little metal shavings in the tranny are fine dust and no longer add friction to the transition between gears. Probably around 8-10k miles

I'm at 7k, almost 8 I think and mine is great.

simione
07-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by SilVic
simione, what did you say to the dealer to fix the problem? Also how long did it take? I'm going to tell them it hesitates to shift into 2nd & 3rd at above 3500 rpms. Do you think they'll change the synchros and do a tranny flush?

i told them that when i am accelerating onto the highway at about 6500 rpms and shift from first to second that it grinded. they ordered the second gear and synchros. they were on backorder for two weeks and they called me last friday and said that the parts were there. i brought my car there on monday morning at 8:30 and had my car back at 5:30. sweet deal if you ask me. it shifts so much smoother

sonic imperial
07-02-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Dunrick
ES motor mount inserts seemed to have helped A LOT!

I rarely get crunchy shifting....Try shifting a little slower too, let the rpm's resettle a bit more before putting it in the next gear. That helps. Or just wait till all the little metal shavings in the tranny are fine dust and no longer add friction to the transition between gears. Probably around 8-10k miles

I'm at 7k, almost 8 I think and mine is great.

I'm at 17k miles and I still get crunchy shifting. The tranny fluid was changed at 10,000 by Honda and it didn't seem to make any difference. It's not real bad, but not as smooth as some stick-shifts I've driven in the past. I'm just living with it for now.