PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts and Magazine Power...

00sir
08-20-2002, 11:34 AM
After reading the honda tuning mag, and the grass root motorsports mag, I was pondering something...

On our exhaust, I wonder if it really is only worth it to purchase a straight through mid-pipe?
Not the muffler, but just the mid pipe, and maybe a High flow cat later...

Any thoughts? The grass roots only dyno'd 1 more hp with the straight through muffler they added after changing out the mid pipe. Again, it could be magazines trying to make or break the sale, but our resonator does look huge.

Take Care...

JSIR
08-20-2002, 05:08 PM
no, I believe it. Our stock muffler is very good flowing, the entrance to the muffler is 2.25 inches, very good, and twin pipe exit is good. The midpipe is the restriction, as it necks down as small as 1.5 inches believe it or not. Put on a nice mid-pipe and eliminate the resonator and you should have a nice exhaust system. Ive done it and I love the sound, still quiet too. Personally you can't find an aftermarket muffler that looks as good as the stock one IMO. The same muffler is used on the CTR with good success, so it flows at least 200 hp. Miamijdm hit 157 whp with the stock muffler and custom midpipe.

Joey

SubliminalSi
08-20-2002, 06:10 PM
So i can save hundreds of $$ by getting a bigger mid-pipe and not a whole new system? And get about the same results?

JSIR
08-20-2002, 06:23 PM
you will definitely save lots of money by just getting the mid-pipe compared to the prices of some cat-backs. I'm not going to quote numbers but if its within a couple of hp who really cares when you can save that much money and have a better sounding exhaust to boot (unless you really like loud exhausts).

David K.
08-20-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by SubliminalSi
So i can save hundreds of $$ by getting a bigger mid-pipe and not a whole new system? And get about the same results?

I paid a local exhaust shop $79.00 to put in a 2.25" mid pipe. It's not mandrel bent, but for the money you can't beat it. No resonator but it's still nice and quiet, just a little bit more rumble.
Just make sure any shop you use bends the pipe well, mine hangs about 1" too low. Nice power gains, too.

02blksi
08-20-2002, 07:24 PM
im confused as to the term midpipe and what everyone is replacing. the mid pipe as i understand it starts directly after the cat, and ends where the muffler bolts to it? am i correct. Now the stock one, has a resonator, so are you guys just gettiing a custom made 2.25 pipe from the cat to the rear muffler straight through with no STOCK or aftermarket resonator? --thanks --joe

BTW great POST!
oh yea and did you really notice a difference in power output when changing out the stock midpipe? better than ading an intake? thanks --joe

Hondatech
08-20-2002, 08:28 PM
I had a local exhaust shop make me a 2.25" custom mid-pipe with no resonator. They used pre-formed mandrel bends, and welded the whole setup together, then painted it with some black ceramic based exhaust/engine paint. That paint is still perfect after close to 1000 kilometers of hard driving (Saw it today when I put my RSX Type S rear sway bar in) Fits perfect, lots of ground clearance, nice deep sound, looks great (when you see it). Cost $180 Canadian including taxes.

gpt
08-20-2002, 11:10 PM
Hondatech - I am looking to do the same as you have had done - but in Vancouver. I am not sure about the term Mandrel bent and would not want to get messed around by the shop I eventually take my car to - can you recommend someone in Vancouver? Also have you felt a difference in power - is this worth doing?

TIA

1fastminivan
08-21-2002, 12:02 AM
Yes please tell us on any power difference gains...

Hondatech
08-21-2002, 06:47 AM
The shop that made my pipe is called Island Muffler. I'm not sure of a shop in Vancouver that does this work. Check out www.revscene.net, and ask in the Vancouver forums.

Mandrel bends are pipes that have a constant radius through a bend. If you've ever seen a pipe that some muffler chain like Midas has made, you'll notice that the pipes are wrinkled looking at the bends, like the folds of an accordian. Thats crush bent. It's not the best for exhaust gas flow. A mandrel bend is totally smooth through the bend, and doesn't change size at all. It's more expensive then crush bent, but it flows better.

As for power, yes, it breathes noticeably better on the top end. It's even easier to break the tires loose on the 1-2 shift :D

For the $180 I paid, you sure can't go wrong.

JackHerer
08-21-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
you will definitely save lots of money by just getting the mid-pipe compared to the prices of some cat-backs. I'm not going to quote numbers but if its within a couple of hp who really cares when you can save that much money and have a better sounding exhaust to boot (unless you really like loud exhausts).

Where in Toronto did you get your midpipe done??

JSIR
08-21-2002, 06:59 PM
try HotRod Scotty's (Thruway Muffler) on Kipling down near QEW Toronto. I didn't get mine done there cause I got crush bent system here in my home town, but I plan on going there for my mandrel bent piping in the next while. They seem to know their stuff. I'll post their website if I can find it again.

David K.
08-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Regarding this whole MBRP cat-back group buy fiasco, I was thinking that maybe a group buy on just their mid-pipe would be worth a try. I posted this in the group buy post itself, just trying to see if there is any support for this idea. Seems like a few of us so far have been custom making our mid-pipes. Personally I love mine, though I would prefer mandrel bends. So maybe if enough of us show support we can get this ball rollin!!