PDA

View Full Version : Alpine SPR 176A 6.5 in Component install...Pics

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:22 PM
My girlfriend and I (yes she helped) installed some Alpine Type R components in her car that I had lying around. We're not going to go too crazy with the stereo, but this is the first step in the install......Not a logical first step, but it was free for her so it was very logical in this case. hehe

Next will be a HU (most likely the Clarion 835 cause it can match the interior), a set of Alpine Type R 5 1/4 in coax speakers in the rear and a nice little Alpine 4 channel amp. I believe that the boss doesn't want a sub.....

Anyways here are some pics...

Pic #1 of "the other half" prying the stock speaker off with a panel popper.

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:24 PM
PIC #2 of a bare door.

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Pic # 3 of template for the new speaker cutout...

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Pic # 4 in the process of cutting the hole out with the dremel cutoff tool. The Dremel was only used for the thinner part of the metal. An air-powered grinder with a metal cutoff wheel was used to cut out the thicker part of the metal.

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:29 PM
Pic #5 aaaaaah, perfect circle.

Jpax
06-29-2003, 06:30 PM
thats sweet, looking good so far.

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Pic #6 Dynamat around the opening of the hole......The whole door was not done due to the fact that I did not have any lying around at the time, and due to time constraints.... I would have done it had I had some though.....

Might not look pretty but it does the job.....not too bad considering we had to rip these pieces from the trunk of my car. hehehe

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:38 PM
Pic #7 We wanted to keep the tweeter locations stock and uncut for when it's time to trade the car in and so that peeping toms won't know there is something there.
It was a bit of a pain in the butt due to the sheer size of the Alpine tweeters ( it would have been much easier to trim the pod and fit the tweeter with the flush mount that is provided with the kit), but it worked and they look totally stock.

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Pic #8..... Mounting of the tweeter with Velcro. I went with a more unconventional mounting of the Xover, as in NOT IN THE DOOR. I have never been a fan of that and the only time that I mount the Xovers inside the doors is when I am dealing with a Molex plug, which makes it extremely difficult to run 1 set of wires let alone 2. They were mounted on either side of the kickpanel with Velcro and the wires were spliced into the stock harness at the location. This will be of course redone once the amp goes in.

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Pic #9.... Xover mounting location. Thank God the Alpine Type R Xovers are very small. Worked out VERY well.

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Pic #10 Other side

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 07:08 PM
As for my background in Car Audio... I am a certified installer, took a course at a shool called Synergy Sound and Design......I think that it has since been renamed though. If anyone has questions or needs advice with their installs, I will be more than glad to help to the best of my knowledge.

BlackNRedSi
06-29-2003, 07:41 PM
VERY NICE INSTALL!!!!

Great you kept your girl in the project, keep her into it...so she has some fun with HER EP!

:)

Tansi
06-29-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
VERY NICE INSTALL!!!!

Great you kept your girl in the project, keep her into it...so she has some fun with HER EP!

:) haha, of course I'm having fun :) I have to at least supervise any work done on my baby if I'm not able to contribute anything myself. I sliced my hand at some point during the process, and was so proud of my first car wound. Blood is only spilt for my EP though of course, my hands were never dirty for the boyfriend's car :p I'm just playin around, but I am learning as I go! Thanks for the feedback

EP3_DC5
06-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
thats sweet, looking good so far.

Thanx.:D