PDA

View Full Version : parking lot damage...collision or comprehensive

insomniac
06-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Came out from work this morning to go home and got a rude surprise....
http://home.wi.rr.com/jstawski/DSC00236.JPG
...called my agent, told him my car was damaged overnight and that the object or vehicle that caused the damage wasn't found. I've got $0 deductible comprehensive and $500 deductible collision. Assuming another vehicle hit me, I'd have to claim under collision and only get re-imbursed the amount in excess of $500 (not likely worth it for a bumper cover re-paint). Under comprehensive, I'd be covered for the full damages. Would it be unreasonable to try to claim under comp. in this case?

furious
06-30-2003, 08:07 AM
maybe you parked nearby the shopping cart area of a grocery market?;) ;)

glw
06-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by insomniac
Came out from work this morning to go home and got a rude surprise....
[snip]
...called my agent, told him my car was damaged overnight and that the object or vehicle that caused the damage wasn't found. I've got $0 deductible comprehensive and $500 deductible collision. Assuming another vehicle hit me, I'd have to claim under collision and only get re-imbursed the amount in excess of $500 (not likely worth it for a bumper cover re-paint). Under comprehensive, I'd be covered for the full damages. Would it be unreasonable to try to claim under comp. in this case? i believe that if you were not driving your car it would be covered under comp. you might also look at the definitions in your policy or your agent should be able to tell you.

edit: i was curious about mine so i checked with aaa. here is what they say (definitions (http://www.aaa-calif.com/insurance/auto/understand.asp#comp)).

cbecker333
06-30-2003, 08:30 AM
I can't answer you question, but if you have time, you might try strolling through the parking lot next time you are at work and looking at bumpers. Somebody has your white paint on their car...

insomniac
06-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Ohhhh, believe me when I say I scrutinized every car in that lot before I left. The bad thing is that there's a bar parking lot adjacent to the structure that I was parked in, and while the bar customers aren't supposed to park in the structure, there's no gate or barrier to prevent them from driving in.

I'm beginning to think my staunch "buy-american" grandpa is cursing me from the grave. My first car was a used Taurus, didn't have a single incident of body damage with that car. Now my next car, a 97 Civic sedan bought new, experienced 7-8 minor body damage incidents (hit a deer, 2 rear-enders, crushed a front air dam running over a semi re-tread, was backed into by some clutz/drunk in Mickey D's drive thru, cracked windshield from rock kicked up by another car's tire, etc,etc).

At least I made it almost a whole year in this one before the inevitable happened.

blueiedgod
06-30-2003, 02:36 PM
parking lot damage is comprehensive.

yakov456
06-30-2003, 03:01 PM
sorry that happened man, same thing happened to me in my old car. Never found the car that did it, I can honestly say ive never been more angry. It happens to everyone unfortunately, I hope its covered.

Impact23
06-30-2003, 04:13 PM
If this was my claim I would cover it under collision coverage. Even if a shopping cart did cause the damage it is still considered collision since the cart is moving. Sorry to break it to ya, but your insurance company may be different. I work for Farmers Insurance as an Auto adjuster BTW.