PDA

View Full Version : HP Header Measurements.... Attention Cozmo!

JSIR
08-20-2002, 05:01 PM
For anyone like Cozmo that wanted the specs of the HP header here they are , compared to stock header.

HP Header , Stock Header

Primary Pipes - O.D. 42mm , 35 mm
Size@ Head Flange I.D. 45mm , 40mm
Minimum Diameter 40mm round , 32mm-Triangular
Collector 60mm , 51mm - Split into 2 Pipes

Overall the HP header is much bigger in all respects, good quality , welds are decent, perfect fitment. Install time was 1.5 hrs inside my garage using hand tools and jackstands, on a hot engine - parts were damn hot . Engine feels stronger in all areas of rpm band, mostly mid range, I was expecting the top end to feel stronger, but I dont have an intake yet. Bottom end is strong.

I've got pics of both headers but I need to download them. Personally I don't think the DC or Comptech header will perform any better, for $160 this header aint bad at all. I could not tell if the stock downpipe (that goes to the cat. converter) was split into two pipes internally. The base of the stock header collector was split into two pipes internally, the HP collector is one large pipe.

here is the link to three pictures I took , side by side HP header vs. stock header. Click View Pictures and then Next to start the slideshow process.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b30487a7e4af

have fun with it.

Joey

fishboy
08-20-2002, 05:07 PM
cool post. thanks for the info.

ssvr6
08-20-2002, 05:50 PM
Where did you get it from?

Steve

MadMax
08-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the follow-up! Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade.:cool:

JSIR
08-20-2002, 06:20 PM
I got it from Nopi, authorized distributor for HP. I was initially supposed to get the ceramic version but HP was out of stock and could not give us a firm date, so I got the chrome version, a fair bit cheaper and quicker shipping. They look good.

xlr8
08-20-2002, 07:33 PM
all you have is the header? im guessing its not stainless for that price. can you realy feel a difference? i already have a cai and a catback, but i still want more power. for $160 im thinking about this header

JSIR
08-20-2002, 07:49 PM
on the first drive out of the driveway the car didnt' feel much different. Funny thing, after driving it throughout the day with multiple starts, the car felt stronger as the day progressed. Bottom end and mid-range feel stronger, feels good in city driving, top end power is hard to tell, I hope to dyno the header very shortly. I think the engine really needs an intake to match up with the header, currently I just have the header and custom mid-pipe, stock muffler, stock intake. This header is chrome, not stainless, but it looks as good as stainless if that is important to anyone. The header is not visible at all, so I don't care what it looks like.

xlr8
08-20-2002, 07:53 PM
its not important what it looks like, but i just dont want it to get real crappy. you said they make a ceramic coated version? how much is that?

ssvr6
08-21-2002, 05:04 AM
I don't see the one for $160. The closest is $180 and it's for an EX.

Steve

JSIR
08-21-2002, 06:28 AM
oh, you have to get the one for the base Acura RSX, they don't list one for the Civic yet, sorry. Go to Nopi on-line store and look up the Acura RSX - 2002 , and go to headers. There is a picture of the old b-series 2 piece headers under HP racing's header but that picture is wrong. They list chrome and ceramic for the HP Racing RSX base . The one for the RSX-S wont fit our cars, so you have to get the one for the base engine.

David K.
08-21-2002, 08:39 PM
Does it bolt directly up to the factory Si exhaust system? If it's a DIRECT bolt in I'm gonna order it!!!

nikkotyper
08-21-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
on the first drive out of the driveway the car didnt' feel much different. Funny thing, after driving it throughout the day with multiple starts, the car felt stronger as the day progressed. Bottom end and mid-range feel stronger, feels good in city driving, top end power is hard to tell, I hope to dyno the header very shortly. I think the engine really needs an intake to match up with the header, currently I just have the header and custom mid-pipe, stock muffler, stock intake. This header is chrome, not stainless, but it looks as good as stainless if that is important to anyone. The header is not visible at all, so I don't care what it looks like.

A dyno chart would be nice.

JSIR
08-21-2002, 09:45 PM
yes it's a direct fit onto the stock exhaust components - cat converter downpipe. Fitment is perfect, no problems at all. I'll let you guys know if I can sneak in a dyno run or two. Only dyno I have seen of this header was Miamijdm's, his car made out pretty good with it.

fishboy
08-22-2002, 12:05 PM
question on the hp header... is it street legal?

JSIR
08-22-2002, 04:01 PM
there's no CARB number on it, other than that it would be legal in most places. I have no idea about California, that place has gone all nuts !:p

JSIR
08-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Here is a link to three pictures I took of the HP header side by side with the stock header.

Click View pictures, and then next to start the slide show of the three pics. enjoy !

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b30487a7e4af

HondaCivicSi
08-25-2002, 11:33 PM
Does anyone think there is much of a difference between the ceramic and the chrome? The ceramic should last longer right? Can you install the heat shield with the hp headers? I don't know if I should get them now, or save up my money for an exhaust first. I doubt I will get that much gain from the headers with only an intake.

ssvr6
08-26-2002, 04:18 AM
My next mod will be the 2.25 midpipe w/ free flowing cat or hollowed out. (Not sure if I want to drop the $ on a cat.) Then I'll get the header. It really doesn't matter what order you get them in and you'll definitely see SOME gains.

Steve

CgSi
08-26-2002, 12:18 PM
You will even see gains with just the header and stock exhaust. I've seen cars put down 5-8 more whp with only a header. How the hell does that work by the way ??
:confused:

David K.
08-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by JSIR [/i]

Install time was 1.5 hrs inside my garage using hand tools and jackstands, on a hot engine - parts were damn hot .

Just received my HP header from NOPI. No instructions or gaskets or anything. I'm assuming you reused everything? What tools did you need? Install looks real straightforward. Did you have any probs. or need any unusual tools?

JSIR
08-29-2002, 10:50 AM
12 mm and 14mm sockets are used along with couple lenghts of extensions, a larger torque wrench or breaker bar will help break loose some of the tighter bolts as small ratchets don't work on loosening as well.

To get the stock header off after all bolts were loosened I had to remove a protective shield overtop of the driveshaft so I could access two bolts that held on the stock header support bracket, once I loosened the bracket the header just swung off easily, but I had remove the shield first to access the bracket bolts, only real trick I had to do. On install tighten the bolts at the head flange first and then the bottom exhaust bolts and bracket supports, lube all bolts with engine oil. Torque head bolts to 30 ft bls, bottom exhaust bolts to 20 ft lbs or nice and snug. Its hard to get a torque wrench in the engine bay though.

David K.
08-29-2002, 06:46 PM
I didn't remove that lower bracket when I busted the exhaust bolts and support bolts off. Maybe I should have, since I have some bloody knuckles. Real easy install; some of the bolts are pretty stubborn. If you don't have a torque wrench (like me), be careful not to overtighten the header bolts. Our head is aluminum and can be easily damaged or crossthreaded.