PDA

View Full Version : Fuel additives?

redronin22
06-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Just wondering do any of u use octane boost fuel injector cleaners deposit removers etc? If so is it useful and will it have any negative affects on our motors? What brand do you guys use? :honda2:

redronin22
06-30-2003, 09:14 PM
man all these views an no replys? =-(

GeNoZiDe
06-30-2003, 11:23 PM
i guess everyone is waitin for a guniea pig to try it then review it LOL

redronin22
07-01-2003, 06:22 AM
well ive tried oct boost and it doesnt seem to help that much just makes throttle response more immediate. or is it just my imagination?

rgGolf4
07-01-2003, 11:25 AM
I just use Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner every 6 months or so. I guess it works good cause I haven't had any problems. That octane boost stuff is just a gimmick, imo.

GeNoZiDe
07-01-2003, 11:26 AM
haha the OCTANE BOOSTER , NOS brand one hahahaha
20 - 30 bucks cdn here hahahahahah comes in a lil small lookin nitrous bottle with NOS all over it hahaha

Bificus
07-03-2003, 08:15 PM
I have used that NOS stuff before I liked it but I don't think I would run it all the time though. Made my old Ranger 3.0 feel like a 4.0. :p

soniccar
07-03-2003, 08:16 PM
If you drive short distances every day, just about any fuel additive can be effective if you use it correctly. Always let your tank get about empty, then add the fuel treatment before filling up the tank. I use GUM-OUT X-tra for $2.44 at Target, but Slick-50 is really good, and so is the Castrol stuff. Of course, Lucas is very good, also.

Octane booster may have marginal effectiveness, but they are very hard on your car. Most octane boosters contain MMT. That stuff is terrible on your plugs and for creating that reddish deposit that clogs up everything. Some fuel treatments tout it as well as some gas companies in CA, but it is bad stuff. Stay away.

Fuel treatments are also more effective if you are going on a trip of 100 miles or more and you use it as prescribed. When you get home from your trip, the next day your car will feel like it's on caffeine.

If your car is really old, Honda top-engine cleaner is what you can use. It really needs the adaptor for the fuel rail or an atomizer to use correctly. But this is good when the car won't idle.

Finally, you'll only read this in a tech bulletin but most every port-injected Honda I had developed a carbon ring at the throttle to wall interface in the throttle body. It will cause the throttle to stick a little when coming from a dead stop, and eventually this deposit will harden and become difficult to remove. Once a year, I break out a rag and some Mothers Aluminum polish and polish the inside of the throttle body until I can see my reflection. Make sure to remove all of the polish. For stubborn deposits, I let it soak with Valvoline Synthetic Throttle body Cleaner. Why Valvoline? Because the straw is permanently attached to the can. Ever tried to fish one back out of an intake manifold? You can also squirt this in the throttle body in small doses while the car is running to loosen deposits in the combustion chamber.

Having said all that, the best way to clean the engine is to run the gas tank low, put a fresh tank of 93 octane (or 95 Sunoco) and go for a long drive on an interstate.

ephatchback
07-04-2003, 01:32 AM
You said octane boosters are bad for your motor? How bad?? I'm planning on getting n2o, and possibly a jrsc later on. W/ those applications you HAVE to use octane booster. Are there any octane boosters w/o MMT?

Endersi2
08-02-2003, 12:43 AM
yes, you can buy ethanol. At some union 76 gas stations they sell 100 octance racing fuel which is essentially just 10% ethanol.

sniperSI
08-02-2003, 04:43 AM
Octane boost isnt a front.

Read this thread about octane and how to boost it yourself

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13948&highlight=toulene

Toulene baby!

87gn
08-02-2003, 06:05 AM
ive got toulene in my tank right now but i have ran just about all of the additives in the past. 30 psi of boost with verry little knock using toulene.

heres the formula i use to run toulene

(A x B) + (C x D) / E = F

A= gallons of pump gas
B=octane of pump gas
C= gallons of toulene
D=octane of toulene (114)
E= total gallons
F= final octane

i did notice the link in the other post, ive read that before on a gn technical web page where the guy origionally posted it. the problem is thats not all the info on toulene and with out ALL the info you can damage your fuel pumps, hell i dint even see MMO or tranny fluid menchened once.:rolleyes:

http://gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

this covers toulene, xylene, isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and tertiary butyl alcohol, methyl tertiary butyl ether, methanol and ethanol

btw i would not give to much faith to the last post about toulene on this site, ALOT of the people that posted are VERRY missinformed.

yes, you can buy ethanol. At some union 76 gas stations they sell 100 octance racing fuel which is essentially just 10% ethanol.

actually, 10% ethanol is just 94.7 octane

sniperSI
08-02-2003, 06:10 AM
sweeet! another user.

Whats your personal opinon about how your car feels running toulene.

87gn
08-02-2003, 06:29 AM
well, as for just the higher octane = more power its all in there heads.

where the real power comes in play is the ability to run 5-10 extra psi of boost. :p a higher octane is only needed if your pinging/detionateing, then you will feel a slight diffrence because your car is not having any knock retard.

it pretty much sums up as, NA cars dont need any higher octane then thats recomended in the owners manual UNLESS there running modified engines with higher compression ratios, turbo cars on the other hand are a diffrent ball game because of the added factor of boost.