PDA

View Full Version : ruptured oil filter

1stockEP
08-20-2002, 06:15 PM
Driving along doing about 50mph, check engine and oil lights go on, smell of burning oil, pulled over to find my oil filter ruptured and oil all over the place. 150 miles from the nearest dealer, 50 miles from the nearest auto parts store. How and why this happened I have no idea. Its the original filter from the factory.
The car is sitting at a garage, probably still dripping oil. This ever happen to anyone before?

SpeedRacer
08-20-2002, 06:28 PM
wow. no thank god this didn't happen to me. sorry about the inconviniance that really sucks man

02SilverSiHB
08-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 1stockEP
Driving along doing about 50mph, check engine and oil lights go on, smell of burning oil, pulled over to find my oil filter ruptured and oil all over the place. 150 miles from the nearest dealer, 50 miles from the nearest auto parts store. How and why this happened I have no idea. Its the original filter from the factory.
The car is sitting at a garage, probably still dripping oil. This ever happen to anyone before?
good God! When you say ruptured are you saying oil busted through it, breaking through the metal? Or are you saying the oil is leaking from where the filter is sealed at? Damn, sorry to hear this, never heard of it before

JSIR
08-20-2002, 06:30 PM
wow, that is strange. These small filters carry a higher oil pressure , sounds like something may have plugged within the filter and it bursted. The filters are supposed to have a bypass valve in case that ever happens. Sounds like a major defective filter. Hope the engine is okay, and your delear fixes things under warranty. I know when I took off my factory filter that thing was installed majorly tight, it was hard as hell to remove. Also the replacement filters we get in N. America are better than the ones that come on the engine from the factory IMO.

02blksi
08-20-2002, 06:51 PM
wow Demand your engine be thourouly checked !!! Thats CRAZY!!! --joe

JUST noticed i cant sPEIll FO ChiT!:p

MagusDC5
08-20-2002, 07:00 PM
lol 150 miles from the nearest dealer!

I felt like crap when my motor blew and my Acura dealer was about 80 miles away :eek:

1stockEP
08-20-2002, 08:42 PM
Its f**ked isnt it? The body of the filter (casing, metal, whatever) had a big crack in it and thats what the oil sprayed out of. I shut the car off immediately and there was still some oil in the pan when I checked the dipstick about an hour later. What I dont understand is the check engine light going off... I thought it was only for emissions? There was oil all over the heat shield on the headers, the entire back of the engine, most of the undercarriage, and the firewall. It was a pretty nasty sight to say the least.

JSIR
08-20-2002, 09:19 PM
I haven't checked, but there is probably a CEL for low oil pressure. If you shut off the engine quick enough you may have been saved of any damage, sounds like you got it shut down quickly so you're probably okay.

efcee
08-20-2002, 10:28 PM
id be upset as hell its a brand new car and something like that happens... thats totally fxcked and everything is full of oil uhg
make the dealship clean it off heh

todaCspec
08-21-2002, 05:29 AM
you should be fine,as long as there is still oil in the pan.

wu343
08-21-2002, 10:50 AM
how many miles were on the car when it happened?

1stockEP
08-22-2002, 07:10 PM
3999 miles