PDA

View Full Version : roof mounted howling banshee

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 12:07 PM
Well, I posted this before, but no one seemed to have the same problem. At about 90+ mph, I get a howling horn sound. It's coming from my sunroof. I don't know if the dealer will help me, especially when I say go 90+, then you'll hear it! :rolleyes:
Anyone get this sound. I'm guess it's the weather stripping on the front of the sunroof.

punkdork
07-30-2002, 12:20 PM
Get a deflector?

m0ns00n
07-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Like I mentioned, I heard it too... And again just a couple days ago. Its doesn't happen everytime, probably when there's just the right amount of crosswind or something.

Pretty annoying actually...

SmoothOperator
07-30-2002, 12:43 PM
This is all news to me. I know I haven't had this problem. Has anyone else???

punkdork
07-30-2002, 01:02 PM
I don't cruise at 90. The speed limits are too low and speed traps too plenty for me to bother.

chunky
07-30-2002, 01:54 PM
windows up or down?

i get some noise from the right seatbelt at high speeds with the windows & sunroof open.

I took off the deflector on my car.

i'll sell it to you for 30 bux with hardware. :-D

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by punkdork
Get a deflector?
nope

chunky: no thanks, I never cared for deflectors. And this is with all the windows up

m0ns00n: I think I'm going to go to the dealer soon, maybe on Friday. Wish me luck

fishboy
07-30-2002, 02:21 PM
it's wind noise. when you hear it open your sunroof and it will subside a bit. i had it when i first got my car. it went away eventually. i don't know if it was because i lowered my car or whatever made that noise just settled. i know exactly what noise you are talking about, i havent heard it in a long time though. try dropping your car next. nice headlights by the way!

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
it's wind noise. when you hear it open your sunroof and it will subside a bit. i had it when i first got my car. it went away eventually. i don't know if it was because i lowered my car or whatever made that noise just settled. i know exactly what noise you are talking about, i havent heard it in a long time though. try dropping your car next. nice headlights by the way!
:D yeah, I was thinking it's definitely aerodynamics, so lowering would make since. Thanks!

chunky
07-30-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

:D yeah, I was thinking it's definitely aerodynamics, so lowering would make since. Thanks!

lowering doesn't affect the airflow patters over the top of the car that much.

just check to make sure that the sunroof closes all the way.

also, if you don't pull the cover for the sunroof, you'll hear extra noise that wouldn't otherwise be heard.

but my car is quiet as a kitten on the highway

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by chunky
...also, if you don't pull the cover for the sunroof, you'll hear extra noise that wouldn't otherwise be heard.

but my car is quiet as a kitten on the highway
It doesn't matter if I have the cover closed or not. It's sooooo damn loud you will hear it. It's not really that faint at 90+, it's loud. I made sure the sunroof was closed all the way. When I get out of the car, I can see that in the center of the rubber weather stripping on the front of the sunroof, there is a clean trail, as if air is being concentrated in that little area, and leaking into the car, making the disturbing sound. It's basically the rubber being vibrated against the medal of the car because of wind fluctuations at high speeds

chunky
07-30-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

It doesn't matter if I have the cover closed or not. It's sooooo damn loud you will hear it. It's not really that faint at 90+, it's loud. I made sure the sunroof was closed all the way. When I get out of the car, I can see that in the center of the rubber weather stripping on the front of the sunroof, there is a clean trail, as if air is being concentrated in that little area, and leaking into the car, making the disturbing sound. It's basically the rubber being vibrated against the medal of the car because of wind fluctuations at high speeds

=\

it kinda scares me to hear about all the rattleing problems, and wind noise, and windows falling off stories that I hear.

I've had mine since mid june, and no problems yet and i'm at 5500 miles. I was kinda upset at one thing though, the dealership put on the OEM moonroof visor, and after I took it off, you could still see in the clearcoat where it had been. I'm gonna have to wet sand that. But it's barely visible. I'm just really anal about the paint job. speaking of which, i need to get off my ass and order some shit so i can put the shine on estella. :D

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by chunky

=\

it kinda scares me to hear about all the rattleing problems, and wind noise, and windows falling off stories that I hear.

I've had mine since mid june, and no problems yet and i'm at 5500 miles. I was kinda upset at one thing though, the dealership put on the OEM moonroof visor, and after I took it off, you could still see in the clearcoat where it had been. ....
I know the feeling. When I had my 1997 EX, I removed the splash guards and it took me forever to get rid of that uneven coat!

m0ns00n
08-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Hey, did any of you figure out what was causing the howling noise? or fix it ?

As much as I like hearing my car whistle, its quite annoying.

For more info, check this older thread : banshee (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=982&highlight=howling)

punkdork
08-21-2002, 12:49 AM
well I don't have input other than to say I LOVE the subject :D

02SilverSiHB
08-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by m0ns00n
Hey, did any of you figure out what was causing the howling noise? or fix it ?

As much as I like hearing my car whistle, its quite annoying.

For more info, check this older thread : banshee (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=982&highlight=howling)
I took mine to the dealer. They sall how the two weather strips on the top of the roof were kind of sticking up in one area. I knew that wasn't the problem. But they went ahead and replaced them. I still have the sound. Now it happens at over 100mph. I know it's coming from the sunroof, even though it's closed it still makes that sound. I've tried opening and closing it while it makes the sound, but it barely does anything. I'm going to probably take it back in on next Friday.

fishboy
08-21-2002, 10:34 AM
damn that sucks. my noise went away after a while. good luck getting the honda guys to ride in your car at 100 mph. :)

m0ns00n
08-21-2002, 02:48 PM
Ok, I've had a look at the car and I think I've got a hunch what's going on. Our windshield is recessed. Unlike any other car I can remember seeing, the EP has a tapered ridge running almost the length of the windscreen on the left and right sides.

I'm going to do some tests with blu-tack putty this weekend to try and find a spot that will break the wind resonance. After finding the a solution to the noise, methinks a couple low-key aerodynamic alterations should do the trick.

I'll keep you posted...

02SilverSiHB
08-21-2002, 04:08 PM
Ok, I've had a look at the car and I think I've got a hunch what's going on. Our windshield is recessed. Unlike any other car I can remember seeing, the EP has a tapered ridge running almost the length of the windscreen on the left and right sides.

I'm going to do some tests with blu-tack putty this weekend to try and find a spot that will break the wind resonance. After finding the a solution to the noise, methinks a couple low-key aerodynamic alterations should do the trick.

I'll keep you posted...
I hope your right :)

m0ns00n
08-22-2002, 02:56 PM
First test went well. Took it up to 100 a couple times and no sound. I'll post pictures later.

I'll have to run this for about a week to make sure. Heh, right now it looks like there is plastic explosives wedged in my windshield.

m0ns00n
08-23-2002, 02:31 PM
Day 2, no noise. Looks like I'm on to something here. Pics tonight.

Brew Bros
08-23-2002, 02:34 PM
Please do post pics. I'm interested so I can take this to the dealer and see what they say. Oh, by the way, this is 02SilverSiHB, I'm just using my friends log in

m0ns00n
08-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Posted some pics and a quick history over here (http://www.photonhead.com/si).

DynaSpeed
08-24-2002, 08:12 AM
I wonder why this only happens to a few cars. I'm up into triple digits all the time, with no wind noise at all.

02SilverSiHB
08-24-2002, 08:51 AM
Posted some pics and a quick history over here (http://www.photonhead.com/si).
good job. I wonder if Honda will make a recall for just the two of us :D

ApexinSi
08-24-2002, 09:25 AM
damn that sucks. my noise went away after a while. good luck getting the honda guys to ride in your car at 100 mph. :)

My steering wheel vibrates from 90-105mph but after that it kinda settles. Doesn't do this at any other speeds and started after I rotated my tires, when I got the car from the dealership the steering wheel vibrated slightly from 50-60 and I asked them if they could balance the tires and they told me this is normal for this kind of car to have a rough ride.... i'm calling b/s on this one. So now how the fook am I supposed to get honda to balance my tires?...I can't tell them they have to take the car 90mph+ so i'm thinking on just taking it somewhere else. ..anyone know the average price to balance tires?...would it be cheaper if I just brought the tires there..already off the car?

02SilverSiHB
08-24-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by ApexinSi

My steering wheel vibrates from 90-105mph but after that it kinda settles. Doesn't do this at any other speeds and started after I rotated my tires, when I got the car from the dealership the steering wheel vibrated slightly from 50-60 and I asked them if they could balance the tires and they told me this is normal for this kind of car to have a rough ride.... i'm calling b/s on this one. So now how the fook am I supposed to get honda to balance my tires?...I can't tell them they have to take the car 90mph+ so i'm thinking on just taking it somewhere else. ..anyone know the average price to balance tires?...would it be cheaper if I just brought the tires there..already off the car?
balancing tires is usually pretty cheap, like at discount tire company...not sure, but it seems like it is 25 bucks or something

m0ns00n
08-25-2002, 06:55 PM
Still no noise :) I'll be an ebay millionaire in no time. All I have to do is sell the specs (once I've made the final) to 02SilverSiHB for 7 figures since he's the only other driver to hear it. Eheh

Hondatech
08-26-2002, 06:45 PM
good luck getting the honda guys to ride in your car at 100 mph.

Good luck is right. If you showed up at the dealership and told me you either wanted me to drive or even be a passanger at 90+ mph, I'd tell you where to stick it, how far to stick it, and how much to wiggle it around. While I screw around a fair bit outside of work, never, and mean NEVER, will I be involved in anything unlawful during work hours.

02SilverSiHB
08-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Hondatech

Good luck is right. If you showed up at the dealership and told me you either wanted me to drive or even be a passanger at 90+ mph, I'd tell you where to stick it, how far to stick it, and how much to wiggle it around. While I screw around a fair bit outside of work, never, and mean NEVER, will I be involved in anything unlawful during work hours.
ah come on, you don't like to drive fast :D

02SilverSiHB
01-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Still no noise :) I'll be an ebay millionaire in no time. All I have to do is sell the specs (once I've made the final) to 02SilverSiHB for 7 figures since he's the only other driver to hear it. Eheh
I thought I'd bring this back to life :)
My car hasn't made that noise anymore. And I've been up to 139mph (so the speedometer said, but I'm sure it wasn't more than 135) on an empty road. No noise anymore at all. Not sure what cured the problem...but it's nice not to hear that sound

ep88
01-09-2003, 06:24 PM
nice to hear that! you resurrected a 4 mo. old thread haheheh :D

02SilverSiHB
01-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by ep88
nice to hear that! you resurrected a 4 mo. old thread haheheh :D
:D something a newbie wouldn't dare think of doing :)

Brew Bros
01-10-2003, 07:59 AM
YEAH RIGHT:rolleyes: !!! I bet it was only like 134mph!!!!!!!:p

carpsir
01-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Re: Wind noise....
When the 1986 Accord came out it had a "blowing over a coke
bottle" noise at higher speeds which turned out to be the
top window moulding which was hollow. The fix for this was to
remove the moulding, fill with silicon and replace. I wonder if
this is the same problem.

fishboy
01-10-2003, 11:28 AM
nice to hear the noise is gone.:) i wonder how it went away...

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2003, 11:45 AM
nice to hear the noise is gone.:) i wonder how it went away... must have been all that high speed racing I've been doing :D the wind just molded the crack closed I guess :p

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Brew Bros
YEAH RIGHT:rolleyes: !!! I bet it was only like 134mph!!!!!!!:p
whoa! you actually posted something here :D it's been a while...oh, you need to change that San Antonio...soon to be Monterey to just Monterey :D

Brew Bros
01-10-2003, 02:24 PM
:D I guess I was just inspired today!! Is my profile better now.:cool:

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Brew Bros
:D I guess I was just inspired today!! Is my profile better now.:cool:
much better :D