PDA

View Full Version : Headlight condensation

SinisterCivicSi
07-02-2003, 11:59 AM
hi guys, just thought i would let you know. hubby took my car to the dealer to get the oil changed and have some things looked at. i told the service mgr that my passenger headlight is getting condensation in it, from washing or heavy rain. the next day they said i have a new light on order. if you got this prob, make the dealer replace it. i was told my another service rep (that i think has a crush on me) that the headlights come with a seperate 2 year warranty against cracks or breaks, and not to tell anyone that he told me that, cause they dont tell customers that. not sure why - maybe just at my dealer but i thought i would spread the info on to you guys.

BarracksSi
07-02-2003, 02:13 PM
I remember visiting Landmark Honda in Alexandria, VA, some time back to hopefully drive an Insight (no dice -- "buyers only".. those slimes) and to see what used Hondas they had.

A couple of the Civics had condensation, and the salesman tried to convince me that it was normal, that all cars did that, and "what do you expect, it's used."

That was probably three years ago, and I haven't been back.

Zigen5
07-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Darn, I wish I was a girl!!!!!! LoL, then I could get everything dirt cheap and all the inside info.. What was wrong with your car besides the headlights?

SinisterCivicSi
07-02-2003, 04:18 PM
haa haa yeah right. being a WOMAN is hard work! lol

nothing wrong with the car now, i had a problem when i first got it with oil consumption. i became a thorn in their side and every time i was a quart low i called and came in. i also wrote american honda a formal letter i got of the MD lemon law site, i got a new short block out of it, i had a scored cylinder.

she ran great before, still runs great now, just sips oil the way a honda should.

the water condensation was annoying to me. and due to the inconvience they put me thru for all the times i brought my car in there to get the oil thing fixed, i just called the service manager and was sweet as pie. i told him i had condensation and if he could look at it. next thing i know they are going to replace it, just fine with me, cause when i get better and get time, i am painting the insides of the lights.

he probablly thought "shit i better replace this light before she costs me more money!"

haa haa ;)

TheWevel
07-06-2003, 10:42 PM
My car had the same problem (same side), and I had them order a new assembly for me...just haven't had time to take it in, plus it appears to only of done it during the winter. It's not doing it anymore for some reason.

SinisterCivicSi
07-06-2003, 10:57 PM
you know.....mine didnt start until i got work done on the engine from the dealer, i wonder if they knocked something loose or whatever.....hmmmm oh well, its on them so i dont care, as long as its fixed

civic-si 2003
07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
I have the headlight condensation thing too...but i dont think the dealers will replace mine because i did the DIY black housing....will it go away?????

BarracksSi
07-29-2003, 08:10 PM
One thing that would probably work would be to insert a silica gel packet (the kind that you sometimes see in a box of a new pair of shoes) into the hole for the parking light, and leave it to sit overnight.

It should draw out most of the moisture inside the housing, and lower the headlight's humidity so that it won't fog itself.

I haven't done this myself, but others here have, and it worked.

civic-si 2003
07-29-2003, 08:26 PM
oh man thanks so much i though i was gonna have to buy a new headlight...but i only have 12 dollars in mmy bank account damn parking tickets

BarracksSi
07-29-2003, 08:41 PM
Cool, it should work. If it doesn't work with one try, repeat a couple more times, and/or with a packet that's more fresh.

glw
07-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
One thing that would probably work would be to insert a silica gel packet (the kind that you sometimes see in a box of a new pair of shoes) into the hole for the parking light, and leave it to sit overnight.

It should draw out most of the moisture inside the housing, and lower the headlight's humidity so that it won't fog itself.

I haven't done this myself, but others here have, and it worked. idea... stitch some thread to the silica gel pack and leave it hanging out after you drop it in - so you can fish it back out easier. no removing the headlights again...

civic-si 2003
07-29-2003, 10:38 PM
yea i stuck a needle through it and its hangin in my headlight housing again thanks guys.