PDA

View Full Version : ctr sway bar + lower

ConeCrazy02
07-02-2003, 12:15 PM
i have a ctr sway bar and my car is lower. When I turn fast, i think my sway bar is hitting the trailing arm, producing this knock. Although I cant confirm it, I was wondering does ne one else have this problem.

toe knee
07-02-2003, 12:23 PM
You might have to regrease your bushings. Thats the only thing i can think of. Hope that helped.

dustinhurley
07-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Mine clunks sometimes too. Usually at low speeds, when turning into driveways and such. When the front of the car is at a higher/lower level than the rear, and I'm going pretty slow, it does it.

ConeCrazy02
07-02-2003, 03:30 PM
i dont really mind if its the swaybar hitting the exhaust or the trail arm, im just affaird of subframe damage

dustinhurley
07-03-2003, 12:31 PM
I don't think we have to worry about frame damage, because the CTR comes with this bar and it has no other support than what we have. I doubt Honda would supply a sway bar that the subframe can't handle. For the noise, maybe the end links for the sway bar are in a different position on the CTR suspension versus the Si suspension. Also, I didn't torque the end link nuts to specifications, if I do this, could that possible rid of the noise?

Suk02Si
07-03-2003, 05:58 PM
the CTR comes with a lower tie bar like the RSX-S

soniccar
07-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Heck, my stock and RSX rear swaybar clunk a little sometimes, but that is mainly when I am backing up from the driveway after the car has sit for a little while.

To be sure, just make sure the bolts are tight where the brackets attach to the subframe. Happened on the wife's EX (with an Si swaybar) and the CRX. Since it is far enough away from the suspension, try taping some foam to your swaybar near the exahust. If that deadens the sound, then there you go. Let it beat the shit out of the exhaust. I would hardly think a steel muffler pipe would be a match against a piece of spring steel, cold-rolled.

myeverlovinsir
07-03-2003, 08:43 PM
I would say a good tie bar is in order or better bushings. Have not noticed a problem
with the type-R rear sway under harsh conditions yet though. Bushings were made for it, so I don't expect much.... mind you I am running the stock muff.:angel:

ConeCrazy02
07-04-2003, 01:21 AM
Well i have stoick exhaust also. The thing is, i did some research on the swaybar and even emailed progress, what I found out is that the end link will eventually snap due to the stress of the 22mm bar. For the progress swaybar, it comes with a end clamp, which stops the sway bar from moving left and right. Lots of rsx owners experienced end link snap ( you gonna have to drive the car hard), but there is a stronger replacement for it. The Hotchkis endlink is much stronger and beefier, which I will buy ASAP. Hopefully after the installation of the hotchkis end link, the problem will go away.

dustinhurley
07-04-2003, 09:19 AM
Does this mean the endlinks on the CTR are stronger than the endlinks on the Si?

And what does the CTR lower tie bar look like, or do you have any other information about it?

Suk02Si
07-04-2003, 12:30 PM
I'll see if I can find the pic of the CTR tie bar, I found it on their forum (www.civictyper.co.uk).

ConeCrazy02
07-05-2003, 02:59 AM
though Ive never seen the ctr lower tie bar, my best guess would be that it is the same sort of "end clamp", which attaches itself to the ends of the bushing. This would eliminate the stress on the end link. MY other guess would be that it really is a lower tie bar, which stiffen the rear of the ctr, which will also take some of the stress away from the sway bar. The thing is that Im not sure, that is why I asked and research. From some of the people I've asked (mostly owners of rsx with jdm sway bar), they told me that they too have also looked into the problem, and found out that the end link couldnt handle the stress and breaks.

dustinhurley
07-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Again I ask, are the end links on the CTR suspension stronger than those on the Si suspension? Can anyone provide more info about the CTR tie bar? I'm thinking about just putting my stock bar back on. If this is going to potentially rip my subframe, or break my endlinks, it might not be worth it. I don't want to invest in too much suspension stuff because I don't do any autocrossing or anything, just got in on a good groupbuy for this bar.

ConeCrazy02
07-05-2003, 02:59 PM
-Well if you dont push ur car hard then you wont have a problem. I can only hear the pop sound when I turn hard. I am just affaird that like many rsx owners, the ctr/rsxr sway bar will break the end link. Although the factor could be cause of bad installation (I reinstalled the bar 3 times, checked numerous time, and yes I do use a helms), or the sound could come from places other than the sway bar (I believe it is the sway bar). It is up to you if you want to upgrade the end link or not, but I believe it is as important as sway bar itself and a worthy investment.

-But, if you think about it, I dont believe people at GRM has experienced a broken end link yet. Their civic si have seen the track/pk lot many times, and with their comptech sway bar (22mm I think) at full stiff.

ConeCrazy02
07-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Upon close inspection, Ive notice the sway bar will not and cannot move left to right, only the end links pulling during turn repectively. So if you dont push it hard, the end link will hold.

I think Ive eliminated the pop sound, but not sure (only been 1 days w/o the "pop")

What I did was installed the sway bar, took it for a 5 min drive, turning really slow. I then checked and retorque the bolts and nuts. Now, Everything seems fine, but I am very cautious now.

I advice installing the right side first (exhaust side), because that is where the noise originated. Torque that side of the end link first and make sure it is done properly.

As to your question about ctr suspension being beefier, honestly I dont know and have never seen the rear of a ctr, so I am clueless.

Take a gamble, live a little, and pray that the end link will hold another day.

ConeCrazy02
07-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Okay, as for the noise, it never is a "clunk", always a "pop". You have to turn kind of fast to produce it. The clunk is from the dead springs on ur progressive spring hitting each other when ur rear suspension is oscillating at cold temperature.

myeverlovinsir
07-05-2003, 11:33 PM
I have the rear type-R sway and know nothing of knocks or bangs.
you are having some issues with which I have no complaints.
The thing has been quiet and solid, I really like it. Sorry to hear
about that.:angel: