PDA

View Full Version : supercharger gas milage

tony speed
07-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Ok. It is claimed that a non centrifugal supercharger has no spool up time; therefore, one sees immediate response, however won't this also kill your gas milage? When you think about it, the turbo is actually more in line with the way our engines are made. That's why we have vtec that trips in at 5k rpm. If you wanted to drive so as to conserve gas, you could drive in the rpm range before your turbo spools. Any thoughts?

BSEVEER
07-02-2003, 12:46 PM
I thought our vtec kicked in at around 2200rpm...:rolleyes:

ssvr6
07-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Yeah, i-Vtec kicks in at 2200rpm.

Steve

CSMsi311
07-02-2003, 01:01 PM
i mentioned this earlier. i have a jrsc (roots type) on my 99 si. I really have to get on the throttle to see more than 3 psi boost. Typically when i accelerate i'm around 0 psi (or atmospheric pressure) to 1 psi boost. When I cruise and idle I'm at the standard vacuum pressure.

Summary, the amount of horsepower you make is dependant on throttle position. And with the supercharger you won't have to smash the throttle all the time to get moving.

I normally average around 28-30 mpg doing mostly city driving. When I take road trips I can get anywhere between 32 to 35 mpg. Sorry, I don't know what my car did before the supercharger cause the dealer was putting it on when we bought the car brand new.