PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Suspension for US EP3 released

BlasTech
07-02-2003, 01:21 PM
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?detail=1549

Not much info there, and what is there is cryptic.

If anyone can make sense out of those stats post the translation here, and any more details about adjustability, camber, etc, you can dig up.

31102si
07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
wow a $1,000 bucks, not too shabby!:)

J-SpEc Ep3
07-02-2003, 09:38 PM
yah ur right 1000 bucks is really really cheap. but they are none height adjustable from what i can see, but then again i might be wrong

Quicksilver
07-02-2003, 09:50 PM
From what I can tell, they are about a 1 1/2" drop and non-adjustable. Not really that impressive to me, but then again I'm not into the whole Spoon or Mugen thing. I just like the best part for my application. I'd rather spend a little more and get an adjustable (height and dampening) coilover. They do look like a very nice unit.

mrfixit687
07-02-2003, 11:07 PM
thats fuckin shitty, 1000 bux for non adjustable height and rebound, fuck that, spend 1100 and get full coilovers

J-SpEc Ep3
07-03-2003, 01:19 AM
i guess this is only for the true jdm heads =P

but then again its MUGEN !

Mr.02BlackSIguY
07-04-2003, 03:15 PM
whats about tein suspension? do they have a shock/spring setup? just wondering.

31102si
07-04-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Mr.02BlackSIguY
whats about tein suspension? do they have a shock/spring setup? just wondering.

yea you can get their basic setup for around 1k;) would be a great setup for that price. i guess these springs aren't as nice after all, not being adjustable.:(

02TafWhtSi
07-05-2003, 11:51 AM
I kinda like the idea that its pre-set. Similar to the H&R Cup-Kit...set it and forget it ;)
I don't need more than an 1.5" drop so this might be the best route for me to go...

StrangeShadow
07-06-2003, 12:53 AM
yeah, mugen makes some good $#@% so I wanna see and hear someone's thoughts, who tries them, before I bash them :)

ALCT
07-07-2003, 03:06 PM
lowers 1.75'' (4 corners)
non adjustable
direct bolt in
no camber kit needed (can someone explain this, how come?)

02TafWhtSi
07-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ALCT
lowers 1.75'' (4 corners)
non adjustable
direct bolt in
no camber kit needed (can someone explain this, how come?)

With a 1.75" drop you WILL need some camber correction - it WILL be out of tolerance. Also, -35mm comes to about -1.4" by my ruler. :confused:

ALCT
07-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi

With a 1.75" drop you WILL need some camber correction - it WILL be out of tolerance. Also, -35mm comes to about -1.4" by my ruler. :confused:
that's what I thought so but here is what exactly their e mail said:
"This kit will lower your car 35mm. There is no need for a camber kit when using the Mugen suspension kit. It is a direct bolt in."

ALCT
07-07-2003, 04:12 PM
also forgotto add, 35 mm equals to 1.3779 inches, maybe the springs settle and get low as 1.75 later?

trk
07-07-2003, 04:33 PM

"This kit will lower your car 35mm. There is no need for a camber kit when using the Mugen suspension kit. It is a direct bolt in."

In my distorted mind this is fairly obvious. The design would have the camber correction built into it... think about it... the drop is set, the camber is too. (well, more or less... you have tire sizes/rim widths to worry about) ... but mostly you wouldnt have problems at a mere 1.75" when the suspension was built for that drop ... kinda like if you DONT DROP your car but you change your rims and wheels you dont really need a camber kit.

Make sense?

02TafWhtSi
07-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by trk

In my distorted mind this is fairly obvious. The design would have the camber correction built into it... think about it... the drop is set, the camber is too. (well, more or less... you have tire sizes/rim widths to worry about) ... but mostly you wouldnt have problems at a mere 1.75" when the suspension was built for that drop ... kinda like if you DONT DROP your car but you change your rims and wheels you dont really need a camber kit.

Make sense?

wow, you just blew my mind man :eek: :D
So let me get this straight, this kit lowers the EP about an inch and a half give or take and you're saying that the camber will NOT need to be adjusted back to normal?? So after installing, the camber degree will be the same as stock? That doesn't make sense to me.... :confused:

StrangeShadow
07-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Mugen has also addressed any bumpsteer issues with the relocation of the steering arm.

In my distorted mind this is fairly obvious. The design would have the camber correction built into it...
just thinking outloud but doesn't relocating the arm affect the camber...I know the tein type flex have some type of relocated arm which basically replaces the font camber kit, making a 'front'cambr kit uunecessary...i'm pretty sure this is what tey mean, ...I may be wrong but I figure it has something to do with the arm on the front coilovers...:p tehe

02TafWhtSi
07-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Just to let you guys know I'm about 99% sure I'm buying this setup very soon.

trk
07-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Just to let you guys know I'm about 99% sure I'm buying this setup very soon.

I am for sure. No doubt. I am also gonna get Hondata. Then my AutoX setup will be 95% complete.

Peace out. Cant wait.

02TafWhtSi
07-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Ordered 7/10/03.
A full review ASAP
:*

ALCT
07-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Ordered 7/10/03.
A full review ASAP
:*
good choice,
were you able to get a discount or paid $1,000.00 ?

TheWevel
07-10-2003, 10:00 PM
I am interested in your review...I may not get them this year, but easily next year...or the next time I want to go deeper into debt.

SiMPLE_SiMON
07-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Let's get a group buy going on these things as long as the review is positive.

As in depth of a review as possible, is greatly appreciated.

StrangeShadow
07-11-2003, 12:52 AM
bump (for review)

02TafWhtSi
07-11-2003, 03:38 PM

good choice,
were you able to get a discount or paid $1,000.00 ?

A cool G baby...no discount that I've heard of :o
Alright, Bob from King said he had one kit in stock when I called and that it was on hold for another customer. If he (or she) didn't get back to him by Friday (today) he would ship the same kit to ME right away. Otherwise, its a TWO WEEK Backorder. I very well could be slicing the switchbacks with my new Mugen Sport suspension by the end of the month (I'll be away this coming week relaxing in San Diego) :p

George Knighton
07-16-2003, 07:55 AM

Nothing wrong w/a little negative camber, especially in the rear, where you'll get better rotation in consequence.

George Knighton
07-16-2003, 08:05 AM
Is anybody using these, yet?

I couldn't find anything better, and I'm dissatisfied w/the GC on the EP3 right now. Some of you might recall that I said I got the feeling we'd pretty much blown the front shocks.

I went ahead and snagged the Mugen kit on 7/11, courtesy of Mike@IPS Racing.

The units arrived with the famous Showa name all over the boxes, so I guess there's a bit of bling involved. LOL...

I can't help being impressed with what the things look like. They've clearly taken great pains to make sure the noises are minimised. There are rubberised coverings around the coils of all four springs.

The front units are very heavy!

They should be installed over the weekend, and maybe I'll be able to report on the initial driving experience on Monday.

siep
07-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Yes, please post some pics! :p

AkronSi
07-16-2003, 09:05 AM
I can't wait to see some pics and here your impressions of the install and more importantly how well they ride. I'm definately considering these over some of the adjustable systems available.

StrangeShadow
07-16-2003, 01:40 PM
cool can't wait, I'm planning on these or the tien type flex.

George Knighton
07-17-2003, 06:01 PM
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTMzOTg0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/images/products/50000-XK5-K0S0_3.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTM0MTUyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTM0MTU0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

You need to be careful w/the installation. It is very possible to pull the axle out. Ask us how we know. http://members.aol.com/georgeknighton/images/icon_eek.gif

SiMPLE_SiMON
07-17-2003, 07:09 PM
Please tell me that you weighed them before installation! Also, do let us know how the alignment looks after you get it to the shop. Most of the other setups require camber kits, but I know that the Mugens advertise their revised attachment points to help with camber and bump steer.

That's a good looking drop. Not too low. How's it ride? The spring rates are pretty high compared to the other kits.

StrangeShadow
07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
nice looking drop, just right.
How's the handling?
Any sounds?
Cornering?
stiffness?

ALCT
07-18-2003, 09:35 AM
looks like you have 2-3 finger gap with smaller size tires?

George Knighton
07-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Bryan:

After a little highway and country road driving, I'll offer a "mini" review. We'll be taking the civic to Summit Point in August, so stay tuned....

These things are great! No more noise, no more bottoming out in ANY turn. We were using GC's off of a RSX with rates of 350(f), 550(r), which were entirely too soft.

The ride height is perfect with the Mugens. The ride itself is not too stiff for street driving, either. It's a pleasure to drive, now.

Pops, you can keep the R, I'll drive this for a while!

Like I said above, we'll have this car at Summit in Aug, so stay tuned.

Moooogen gets a big thumbs up.

I haven't driven the car w/the Mugens on, yet, but you can see that Bryan thinks they're a big improvement.

The Mugen suspension is about ten pounds heavier, total, than what came off the car.

I might drive to the country and trade the ITR for the EP3 just to see how different it is, compared to what it was.

I think there's a group buy building at IPS Racing. You can email Mike at (ipsracing2@aol.com) for the status of the group buy/special.

Gasp23
07-18-2003, 10:48 AM
Awesome! This morning I was asking my self what would give me the same drop as the Type R and this certantly look like the way to go. All I got to do is save a grand and I'm set :D

Quicksilver
07-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by George Knighton

The Mugen suspension is about ten pounds heavier, total, than what came off the car.

Holy Smoke!!! :eek: My Tein SS coilovers were actually 8 pounds lighter than stock. That double-spring setup must be REALLY heavy.

Joker
07-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by George Knighton
I think there's a group buy building at IPS Racing. You can email Mike at (ipsracing2@aol.com) for the status of the group buy/special.
I very much look forward to your review George!!
HUGE props to Mike at www.ipsracing.com :D

George Knighton
07-20-2003, 07:53 AM
Drove the EP w/Mugen suspension for a couple of hours last night.

It is definitely a huge improvement over both the OEM and the GC setup.

It takes with aplomb corners that previously had caused the GC to bottom out.

It seems evenly balanced, and you can get the car in a controlled four wheel slide in corners, even w/the Azenis. With the GC, you had the feeling that the suspension was the weak point. With the Mugen, you get the feeling it's the tyres that are the weak point.http://members.aol.com/georgeknighton/images/icon_eek.gif

I have Type S swaybars, front and rear. (In other words, smaller in the front and heavier in the rear.) You'd think this would make it easy to induce trailing throttle oversteer, but it's much harder than I thought it would be.

Thinking now of going w/CTR-ITR rear bar, and deciding whether to keep the Type S front or go back to the thicker EP bar. Hmmmm....

You should always get an alignment when you make a major suspension change like this, but there is no camber issue at all.

rswbrixton
07-20-2003, 08:05 AM
I think certainly that this is the way to go . Im going to do some research as to the availibility of the EP specific suspension from Canadian dealers/distributors .

If that fails then i will place order with King Motorsports . As mentioned briefly in earlier posts , does IPS RACING retail this same suspension for same or less money ?

A big thanks to George K. for his input and review of this setup to this point in time . Appears to be no technical issues in the installation as this suspension is tailored specifically for our EP'S.

George , what if anything of the stock ( oem ) suspension is still utilized in the Mugen set up .

Thankyou in advance.

Can you maybe sneek a pic of the top of the strut tower from engine bay and one of inside top from wheel well next time you have the rim(s) off .

ALCT
07-20-2003, 01:15 PM
George thanks for the input, just one question do you think there will be any rubbing issues w 40mm offset wheels and 215/45/17 tires?

SiR Medic
07-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Great...

I was so planning on saving up money to go for a wheel and tire upgrade... Then getting TEIN basic dampers next year...

Now this...

I want this..,

NOW.

Mugen = Snoogens!:cool:

George Knighton
07-20-2003, 05:25 PM
George thanks for the input, just one question do you think there will be any rubbing issues w 40mm offset wheels and 215/45/17 tires?

Hmmm. I can't say for sure, but I don't think so.

I'm using 16x7 wheels at +45 and 215-45-16 Azenis, and there's lots of room.

IceD out N CALI
07-20-2003, 09:50 PM
nice review george k. I kinda like a more aggressive drop but this sounds like good quality product nonetheless

AkronSi
07-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Hmmm, I can only see the pictures of the shocks. But, the quality looks awesome. And, judging from everyone elses comments and yours, they seem like a sweet system.

Must save money :D

George Knighton
07-21-2003, 09:00 AM
From what has been said on another board, it looks like Mike of IPS Racing is going to have a group buy that will allow him to sell the Mugen suspension cheaper than it's currently offered from King.

You can email him at ipsracing2@aol.com if you're intersted. http://www.ipsracing.com

I don't think Mike actually posts here, yet, but he's a big sponsor on other boards and a sponsor in the Honda Challenge.

George Knighton
07-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by AkronSi
Hmmm, I can only see the pictures of the shocks.

WTDR is a free hosting service for the benefit of Honda Tech. It comes and goes, but it's a service they perform gratis and usually well, so when they go down for a few hours, we don't have the nerve to complain.

:)

02TafWhtSi
07-21-2003, 04:02 PM
My set is still on backorder from King Motorsports... should have it by the end of the month :)
:crosses fingers:

JBS02
07-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Is the Mugen set-up too stiff for 100+ mile trips? I find the stock set-up fairly comfortable, but don't like how the ass end feels going around fast off camber turns. Was hoping the Mugen kit would correct this short coming, but still be streetable. Was the Mugen suspension designed for the CTR or the USDM Si?

02TafWhtSi
07-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by JBS02
Is the Mugen set-up too stiff for 100+ mile trips? I find the stock set-up fairly comfortable, but don't like how the ass end feels going around fast off camber turns. Was hoping the Mugen kit would correct this short coming, but still be streetable. Was the Mugen suspension designed for the CTR or the USDM Si?

Made for our USDM EP3's ;)
The spring rates are significantly higher than stock as well as the shocks being calibrated on the stiff side. You WILL notice a slightly harsher ride but its a tradeoff for MUCH better handling....I can't wait!! :cool:

AkronSi
07-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Cool the pics are working agian. I wouldn't complain about a free service either George. The drop looks perfect. That's totally what I want for my car. Even if I had adjustable coil-overs, I'm sure I'd never adjust them.

How are they compared to the stock setup when hitting cracks and uneven spots on the road (you know like when they are repaving a section and then it suddenly rises an inch or two to the old section)?

SiMPLE_SiMON
07-23-2003, 09:10 PM
IPSRacing is talking about a group buy price of $940-950 with 10+ people.

word...booty
07-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by AkronSi
How are they compared to the stock setup when hitting cracks and uneven spots on the road (you know like when they are repaving a section and then it suddenly rises an inch or two to the old section)?

I'm wondering this as well. I've been driving through alot of construction zones lately and sometimes it feels like my car is going to fall apart.

Dunrick
07-24-2003, 10:02 AM
You gonna feel a snail on the road with nice suspension like this...Thats the trade off!

go buy a lexus is you want smooth ride.

StrangeShadow
07-24-2003, 12:31 PM
or tein w/edfc

LordKoo
07-25-2003, 09:26 AM
George Knighton,
Do you have a pic of your car before and after the installation?

How about the ride through irregular roads?

Thanks!

Tenacious G
07-27-2003, 04:25 PM
i like the fact there are applications for the Odyssey and CR-
V. now all minivan and SUV owners can have that auto-x car they've always wanted!

:D