PDA

View Full Version : My Stock Radio/CD Player Croaked Today !...

JSIR
07-02-2003, 07:03 PM
I can't believe it, I was driving down the street at a slow pace this morning on the way to work and the radio just died on me for no reason. I wasn't touching it or anything, I had been listening to it for about 5 mins prior to that since leaving my house. The thing hasn't worked since. I tried checking the fuse and its fine, I also pulled the negative battery terminal as well with no luck. Funny thing is that the CD eject button works to get my CD's in and out, and the anti theft red light flashes, but nothing else works.

pisses me off to have to take the car into the dealer for a busted radio, gotta waste a day for this. damn. Anyone else have radio problems. For the past week I did hear a bit of rattling noise coming from the center console area, perhaps the rear connector pulled loose on it. Maybe I drove it too hard at Gingerman , too much G-forces exerted on it.

Joey:eek:

golferjn
07-02-2003, 07:25 PM
sorry to hear about that man

myeverlovinsir
07-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Wow, I hope it's just a connection problem. It should be covered.
Let us know whats up with that. Have you tried disconecting the
battery and re-entering the code? Just a thought. Haven't had
this happen yet.:o

SinisterCivicSi
07-02-2003, 07:34 PM
sounds like a dealer problem now, its covered under warranty....well wait, whats your mileage?

BlackNRedSi
07-02-2003, 08:11 PM
bring it to the dealer, sounds like a dead hu

toe knee
07-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Ever since my accident, everytime i hit a bump my headunit skips. Im planning on taking my car back pretty soon.

JSIR
07-03-2003, 04:20 PM
looks like my head unit is as dead as JFK, they've ordered a new one for me but who knows when it will arrive. I've got a 4 hr drive tomorrow for work , gonna be damn boring !:mad:

hondafiend02
07-03-2003, 04:39 PM
yea take dat ish back dont replace wit after market one too because alota peeps wanna buy tha stock radios from our cars so u want it working even if not in yo car so u can make money if u ever decide to get rid of it ;)

BlackFL2k2Si
07-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Hondafiend, who wants to buy our stock radio? I've been trying to sell mine. If you know of anyone, let me know.

JSIR
07-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Guys the story gets much stranger. I went out tonight to pick up some stuff, as soon as I turned on my lights the radio re-activated. When I turn off the lights the radio dies. My radio is connected to my headlights !. I've never seen such a thing.
Wait til Honda hears this tomorrow they'll do a double take.

Joey

BlackNRedSi
07-03-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by azn_supa_star01
Ever since my accident, everytime i hit a bump my headunit skips. Im planning on taking my car back pretty soon.

if its a stock HU take it back have them fix it...suggestion, buy a 100 dollar HU it will do you better than shitty stock...Just like stock tires/rims, you cant expect too much outa it! :)

myeverlovinsir
07-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Have you checked the fuse(s) for your headlights?

It could also be a conection from the steering column lights on/off
switch.;)

hondafiend02
07-03-2003, 08:01 PM
lol another ep under the control of the devil lol:eek:

misterx89
07-08-2003, 09:16 AM
:(

Man o man, my stock radio has been fuggin up too. Like the other day, when it was like a 105 heat index, i just left my house and the radio quit puttin out sound. Had to turn it off then luckily came back on. Only happend twice but the second time for bout a half hour anytime i changed the channel it would cut off again. Seems correlated to the extreme heat. LMAO, i ejected a cd and it felt hot enough to melt. Bad electro engineering to blame! Later, and trying to keep it cool.

JSIR
07-08-2003, 12:48 PM
mine came back to life recently and was working fine for a day, but then it died again. Now she just blows fuses everytime its turned on. I'm thinking its a ground that is screwing up, but the radio ground is located in the center console area so I haven't been able to check it out. Either that or the radio is just screwed internally.

I had an appointment to take it in this week, haven't been able to get there yet.

Joey

JSIR
07-26-2003, 03:17 PM
You guys will never believe how much aggravation thirty cents can cause. I took my car into the dealer last week and left the car for a day with them. I picked up the car late afternoon and all they did was put a new fuse in the under dash fuse box. They tested nothing else, and did not remove any parts. I new the fuse would not solve the problem but I took the car home, they said if it continues to blow fuses to return it to them and I would get a new radio. Well about 30 mins down the road I hit a bump, heard a big crackle noise and the radio was dead again, no surprise. I called the dealer right away and they said they would order a new radio.

I later found out that all my exterior marker lights, parking lights, dashborad lights, and taillights were also dead. The light circuit goes through the radio, thus it affects two fuses, lighting and radio. Well I cant really drive the car at night without taillights so I decided to take things apart myself this weekend as the radio would likely be a while to arrive. I was convinced it was a loose ground or shorted wire behind the radio area.

Well I took the center dashboard apart to tackle this problem, I didnt mind doing it as I also wanted to source out a rattling noise that I began getting recently in the center dashboard area.

All the wiring looked good, I fixed a loose clip but that was nothing really. I then took the radio out of the slot and I immediately heard things rattling inside the radio unit. Surely that was the source of the problem.

When I began looking into the radio case I found out the source of the rattling. There were two coins - one quarter and one nickel. My son had been using the cd player slot as a piggy bank and dropping coins into the unit !. Holy cow !.

Well I took the radio apart and pulled out the coins. Put it all back together and she works good as new now. Lights are back on as well as the stereo functions. Man do I feel dumb. My son often plays in the front seat a few seconds before I get into the car , and while my wife is in the back seat waiting for me to get into the car. Then we strap him into the child seat. Guess he must have found some coins and inserted them into the cd player slot without my wife noticing. argggggg !.

So that's the end of this mystery. Cant blame honda for this one. i have to cancel that order for the radio now.

have fun with this one guys. If you have kids , keep an eye on them if they are around the cd player slot.

Joey:o

SinisterCivicSi
07-26-2003, 03:38 PM
LMAO!!!!! oh man -- dam kids!! lol
well at least you found the problem. tell your kid its comin out of his allowance for the next 5 years LOL

JSIR
07-26-2003, 04:16 PM
yeah that's right, but my wife has to take 50% of the blame too as I've already told her, so I'm charging her 50% and my son the other 50%, he , he ,he. The terrible twos are well in progress now with my son. ;)

Joey