PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Toyota Matrix XRS??

Tekdemon
07-03-2003, 12:55 AM
I'm just thinking about cars to potentially buy...and this one popped up since I was originally going to buy a used one, but it got sold so I kept shopping and ended up with the Si(how ironic heh).

Anyway, it never struck me until recently that the XRS also has a DASH MOUNTED SHIFTER!?!?

I'm almost feeling like the Matrix XRS is Toyota's Civic Si! 180HP VVTLi engine(1.8L) instead of the 160HP iVTEC(2.0L) engine, the suspension is stolen from the Celica GT-S(so's the engine actually), along with the steering, etc.

But I think the most striking thing is the shifter! ON THE DASH!

It's actually kind of neat since I've kind of gotten used to the shifter on the dash and I've never driver another kind of stick shift, so it'd probably be easier to get used to this...

Anybody have any thoughts? It's a 6 speed instead but I think it has less torque since the thing is 1.8L

the JigGa mAn
07-03-2003, 01:08 AM
the matrix XRS 6 speed is a awesome car...my brother used to own one before we sold it to get his and my Si...very very quick and roomie...and its only 200lbs heavier than a GT-S...while the XRS was stock my brother was able to take out a stock 98 GS-R with intake and exhaust and a modded neon...both times with 3 ppl plus driver in the matrix...2 weighing in at 200lbs me at 145 and my bro at 125...while the GSR had one person plus driver (same with the neon)...we just got rid of it b/c we couldnt find any parts for it, and it was time for a change...in my opnion get a XRS 6 speed...they are a fun car to drive

beansbear
07-03-2003, 01:26 AM
are you considering this above a Si?

I have a Matrix XR and have driven the XRS. To me the civic feels more refined and a whole lot faster throughout. The Matrix shifter feels like a toy compared to the civic. The clutch is also way harder on the Matrix than the civic.

After test driving the civic my Matrix felt broken. In my opinion the Matrix just doesn't have enough low end but has a lot of unusable (in daily driving) top end. If you do get a matrix, get the XR because you can spend a little more and just supercharge it. YOu will get better bang throughout the bandwidth with the SC than with the stock XRS.

Zigen5
07-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Thats funny! Cuz I was about to get a XRS before I got my EP3. The reason why I didn't was cuz the saleman told me that they weren't going to make the XRS anymore. I asked why and he told me there wasn't a big demand for the XRS. So I was like, screw it... Si here I come..

beansbear
07-03-2003, 01:58 AM
there was a rumor that it was going to be discontinued and that is false. The truth is that the XRS AUTOMATIC was discontinued.

XRS because of its high compression engine makes it very hard to safely turbo or supercharge. lowering of the compression could have made this a killer car to own but still to this day, there are no "real for sale" turbo kits for the XRS or Celica GTS.

Civicvtec1ps
07-03-2003, 02:26 AM
hah really like dash shifter eh?
honda element has dash shifter as well!!
comes in stick too
:D

potator
07-03-2003, 02:37 AM
Don't know too much about it's performance, but that pseudo-rally style shifter definately embarasses the car more than anything else to me. Unlike the EP's authentic rally inspired shifter, all the Matrix did is raise the location up a few notches. It's the exact same thing as a standard shifter that's just sitting on a stump. I mean... just take a good look at the EP's shifter where they actually gutted the whole thing and made it the real deal. Then go take a good look at the one in the Matrix...
Again, I'm still not saying whether or not the car is good or bad, since I don't know too much about the car's performance, although I have driven one around a few blocks. But given the specs, they should be fairly quick. I liked the interior, other than the shifter of course. The shifter, being my only quirk, is so appalling and ridiculous, it alone turned me away from the car immediately even though I was pleased with pretty much every other aspect of the vehicle.
... And then I met my EP. :eek: :) :D

Again, if you actually do somehow like the Matrix's shifter or at least don't mind it as much as do, the rest of the car's is very well designed. Good luck on it if you're thinking of buying.

dchu
07-03-2003, 04:31 AM
The rear suspension on the XRS isn't the same as the celicas though. It's a torsion beam like the one they use in corollas. Looks like only 4wd matrix has double wishbone in the rear, but the XRS isn't offered in 4wd.

blueiedgod
07-03-2003, 04:38 AM
I actually too drove Pontiac Vibe GT (MAtrix XRS sister/brother) before getting the Si. It reminded me of the previous generation Si. You really have to prev it to get any kind of torque. In actuality, regular MAtrix/Vibe has better torque, but lacks top end.

In the end, either Vibe or Matrix with ABS, sunroof, power windows, remote keyless entry, a/c and all the stuff we have on the Si standard woudl have cost me $19K with change, while Si was only $14,500. Had there been no price wars going on, I would mostl likely have ended up with a matrix/vibe. You can get a matrix with 0% this weekend. Also, Matix XRS is cheaper than Vibe GT by a couple of thousand. But I think Vibe may have a rebate in lew of 0%.
All in all, Matrix/Vibe are decent cars, but I love the torque at 2000 rom we have in the Si, and the fact that we have genuine honda engine in honda vehicle, while matrix/vibe have a Yamaha engine in a toyota. i-VTEC, i my opinion, is a generation ahead of VVT-i.
Sometimes i do wish i got matrix/vibe though, when i have 3 passengers and the one in the back behind me has to get out :-)

milanoep3
07-03-2003, 08:09 AM
I also looked at buying the xrs, actually I had a phone call on my cell from the toyota dealer saying they had found me one in the color that I wanted and it was mine if I wanted it, while I was working out the deal on my SiR. IMO the XRS is way too high strung for daily driving and doesn't have the spiffy interior of the Si/SiR, although I did still like the XRS interior. Although the XRS engine does have a yamaha VVTL-i head on it, the rest of the block assembly is toyota, I'd still trust it. That powerplant has been on the road for a few years now and according to my bro who is a toyota mechanic, it hasn't had any major problems.

Either way, both the SiR and XRS are unique, fun vehicles. i guess it all comes down to personal preference. BTW, if the yellow matrix was out when I bought my SiR, it would have been a really tough decision...

NitehawkEP3
07-03-2003, 09:29 AM
XRS has no torque after 3rd gear....1st and second gear VVTL-i hits the hardest after that it takes a dat and a half to hit 6k!!!

02NJHondaep3
07-03-2003, 10:34 AM
The Matrix is a nice car and all but last time i checked THIS IS EPHATCH.COM and this belongs in OFF TOPIC.

Tekdemon
07-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by 02nighthawksivi
The Matrix is a nice car and all but last time i checked THIS IS EPHATCH.COM and this belongs in OFF TOPIC.
Well dude, my EP got totaled and in another thread in EP Discussion about it being totaled people said they'd be happy to help me choose my next ride.

Jeez...touchy touchy...

icegrill
07-04-2003, 11:12 PM
Yes. Buy it today.

ta2dSi
07-04-2003, 11:42 PM
also very weird since I was going to get one also before I got my Si. The toyota dealer was giving me the run around, and I was in the process of getting my wife a new car, and she wanted a Honda. I had my 2001 Nissan Frontier. So my wife told me to go see the salesman that helped her, (the owners son). I walked in and talked to him and I told him that I liked the Matrix, and he asked what it was about the Matirx that I liked, I said the styling and the quickness. He asked if I had seen the new Si, and I said no. He showed me the one that I bought, and that is the end of the story!

Jason
MindChip Industries

Tekdemon
07-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by ta2dSi
also very weird since I was going to get one also before I got my Si. The toyota dealer was giving me the run around, and I was in the process of getting my wife a new car, and she wanted a Honda. I had my 2001 Nissan Frontier. So my wife told me to go see the salesman that helped her, (the owners son). I walked in and talked to him and I told him that I liked the Matrix, and he asked what it was about the Matirx that I liked, I said the styling and the quickness. He asked if I had seen the new Si, and I said no. He showed me the one that I bought, and that is the end of the story!

Jason
MindChip Industries

I think a lot of us here are just into this type of car and the Matrix XRS kinda fits right in there...it's practical with it's design in that it has huge cargo capability(actually bigger than the Si, but it's a bigger car in general), sporty, etc.

I'm currently waiting for the insurance company to get me my money! Once that's settled I'm gonna go get my next ride.

VBSI
07-05-2003, 02:19 PM
I like the front end of the Matrix a little, but I hate the rest of it, as well as the cross platform sharing with the Vibe. The Si is one of the most unique cars out there-good or bad.

Zigen5
07-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Another consideration I had was a Mini-Cooper S... So I had a choice of either a XRS, S, or a Si. Of coarse, I chose the SI!!!!! I'm a Honda man, and probably will be for the rest of my life. The reason why I though about the S was cuz it had 165 HP and it was turbo charged. Plus the movie "The Italian Job" made it look fun to drive. I was just afraid that there wasn't going to be enough aftermarket products for the S. Si all the way!!!!!!!! :D ;) :cool:

IceD out N CALI
07-05-2003, 07:23 PM
you could just get another ep. i know you probably wont but i'm just saying cuz u can get one dirt cheap its cool:cool:

golferjn
07-05-2003, 10:42 PM
yup, the xrs is nice. it would be cool if awd was available too. lots of cargo space in there

RacingCivicSi02
07-06-2003, 01:02 AM
my brother has a matrix its a nice car. Has alot of cargo space. Roomie to compared to his celica. Pulls pretty good around 6k to 8200. Heres a picture of it.

Let me know if the pictures work or not

SiR Medic
07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
I test drove the Vibe GT because the local Toyota dealer didn't have a XRS.

As much as I liked it, there were several things that kept me away...

1/ The engine, even though powerful, is gutless unless you rev it like mad, and sounds horrible when you do.

2/ Body lean when you take it into a corner... It feels like a minivan!

3/ Horrible gauges! Tiny, dull red numbers in deep dark tunnels... Surrounded by ultra shiny (and distracting) chrome bezels that give off wicked glare in bright sunlight.

4/ LOUSY transmisson! Just horrible. Crunchy sounding, vague, NOWHERE NEAR the Si's tranny. Also, it BEEPS when you select reverse!:rolleyes: Just like a garbage truck!

LordKoo
07-06-2003, 09:12 PM
Please buy one, when you see a Si running circles around your Matrix/Vibe then you will understand why that is a POS you are driving.

Torsion arm axle in the rear? What a darn backdated POS Matrix is in my opinion! Oh, did I mention the driver seat is so high up that indeed you are driving a Minivan!

redronin22
07-06-2003, 09:45 PM
i like d cargo space thats it...
maybe if it had 3 doors stead of 5 id like it more