PDA

View Full Version : Buying a EP3

jrob6716
07-03-2003, 08:50 AM
First post. Wasn,t sure which part of the forum to put his one. But could use some advise from you guys.
I just totalled my RSX about 2 weeks ago.
After owning the RSX, I really dont like it. I am going to just buy a civic. many of you have said that you got your Civic around the neighborhood of 16K. All of the Civic's at the dealer's around here are price @ 19K. Talking with the salesman they dont offer any discounts. Are you guys haggling with the Salesman to get it down to that price?

I think what ever I do I am going to wait for till Sept. just in case there is a chance for the Type R. I am supposed to get a pretty fat settlement from the guys insurance who hit me.

But for the time beign if you guys could help me out with any ideas on how to get the dealer to comedown on the price. Please let me know. I've only bought two cars and feel like I got scewed on both. I am not getting srcrewed this time.

THX guys... PLUR

andy
07-03-2003, 09:16 AM
Where are you located (what state)? Someone might be able
to suggest a different dealership, albeit a bit farther away.

Here in FL, there are 2 dealers that are close. One has 6 '03s
on the lot, another has 2. Both have offered me $16.4K as a
_starting_ point, without me doing much negotiation. This was
over email, as well. Another dealer in West Palm printed an ad
in an AutoTrader advertising an Si for $15.8K.

If one of these dealers has several '03s on the lot, you can
definitely work them down. Tell them people are buying them
for $16K, and get a couple internet quotes from dealers nearby
who will offer you that price (I'm fairly confident you can find
at least 1 dealer looking to get rid of these cars).

Let us know how it goes...

SinisterCivicSi
07-03-2003, 09:32 AM
i am not sure if this is available where you live but i went through a buying service called "United Buyers Service". basically what they do is prenegotiate with certain dealers to get a wholesale price for a car. You just call the service, tell them what you wanna buy and they will tell you what participating dealer is around and what salesman to talk to. you call them, make an appointment and there is NO haggling involved. its super easy and headache free. You even get any options at dealer cost and you dont pay for freight. look in the phone book for local buying services, its worth a try. there is no obligation to buy once you call, if you dont like the offer, then just walk out.

i could have gotten a 03 ex with everything for like 13,500 but I got my si for like $15,700 + tax, tags but i bought additional warranty, so that made it go up a bit. The sticker on the car was $21,500 cause of the extra stuff on it. i got 1100 bucks in options free cause they were already on the car and i didnt want them. the guy tried to get me to budge but i said i would just wait for another car without the stuff, he said forget it and threw it in. if they think they can convince you, trust me they will. if he really couldnt give me the stuff free he woulda had service take them off when they were preppin it for delivery.

IceD out N CALI
07-03-2003, 10:05 AM
if you're close to cali, come here. there is a dealership right in myneighborhood that has like 10+ sitting in their lot

STP03BlueSI
07-03-2003, 10:39 AM
I have been doin some pricing. Gonna go really heavy when i get closer to the purchase date(July 25). But right now i got a price of 17775 (With foglights, and Floormats!)

beansbear
07-03-2003, 11:02 AM
In Hawaii, you are pretty screwed unless its a year end sale. There was a EP3 at a local dealership that had been sitting on the lot for 6 months. It was discounted to $18,995 and i think that was pretty firm. They are pretty rare in the islands. I get so excited when i see another EP3 owner! (especially if its a female :) ) hehe...

good luck with finding a deal. I paid $19,000 OTD.

younggotti266
07-03-2003, 11:38 AM
I got mine 1 1/2 months ago

it was 16,788 + tax came out to 18,300 with tax and everything

go to edmunds.com and look up an si and get quotes from dealerships.....

do not pay sticker......

most dealerships won't deal with this car

i went to one dealership they tried to tell 18,000 + tax

i told them i had a quote for 16,800 they said they couldn't touch it and to go buy it from them

jrob6716
07-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Thank you so musch for all the Feedback. I do live in Cali.. Signal Hill is basically Long Beach but a little nicer. Anyhow, I will definetly take your advise. Man... Car salesmen can be jerks.

I think I'll be paying cash for it once I get the insur. settlement. in the mean time
I will take your guys advise and shop around and get quotes.

What I really want is the damn Type R. I think everyone probably shares my thoughts on this. But who knows????

I have found some places to by the original honda Type r body kit. Does anyone know if the Rims on the CTR can be bought as well???Haven't found them for sale anywhere on the net.

THX

PLUR

J

SinisterCivicSi
07-03-2003, 12:30 PM
oh dude if your paying cash in full you have even more of an edge! you can definatly work that edge...no financing, man those salespeople will be killin each other to get to you. use it to your advantage...have them give you a bigger discount. if they dont tell them the dealer up the street will....they will give it to you.

jrob6716
07-03-2003, 12:57 PM
coolness thanks... tryed asking the salesman when they were going to get the 2004 models. Now info from them. He just wants to sell it to me right now of course. I cant seem to find a white EP3 anywhere. Is it available in S.Cal?

THx'

J

Whoisray
07-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Here in NJ i paid 15800 for 03 SI with Visor and floormats

You really don't have to haggle with the dealers. Just tell them a price, if they don't beat it, just walk out.

After I got them down to my price, they tried to screw me over with the financing then they just submitted and gave me the 1.9% apr. :D

With Honda dealers you gotta act a certain way.

stephen
07-03-2003, 01:20 PM
i got mine for 15.3.

call around. you'll find one at a good price soon enough.

SinisterCivicSi
07-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Whoisray
With Honda dealers you gotta act a certain way.

thats with any dealer but thats so true. they are good at what they do and if they have a shred of an idea that they can sway you, they will. get in your mind exactly what you want and what you wanna pay, and dont budge from that. if they dont wanna deal, someone else will, walk out. remember, they wanna move these cars out especially when you get closer to sept. when they start getting in the 04 car line up.

jrob6716
07-03-2003, 03:54 PM
I called Santa ana Honda and told him I had a quote of $16500 . he said right off the bat.. no way. I can't beat that. I said " Ok thanks anyway", Then he said to give him my info and he'd call me if there were anything he could do.

We'll see..

THX

PLUR

younggotti266
07-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by jrob6716
coolness thanks... tryed asking the salesman when they were going to get the 2004 models. Now info from them. He just wants to sell it to me right now of course. I cant seem to find a white EP3 anywhere. Is it available in S.Cal?

THx'

J

Whites pretty hard to find here.....I ended up getting a silver one...

Call Cerritos Honda....Ask for the Sales Manager or Kendrick he's the guy that sold me my car....

Say your friend Mario got one for 16,788 there and if you could get the same deal...

blueiedgod
07-03-2003, 06:28 PM
I think if you wait until spetember 15th, you will get a better deal on the Si for what you want to pay. Once the 2004's are out Honda will give dealers incentives to move th 2003's out. Most of us got the cars for such a low price because we knew about the dealer incentive. Also, when you mention a pice do not include taxes, only destination. Taxes just like death are not negotiable :-)

spydur
07-03-2003, 07:24 PM
According to the latest info that I've found on the internet, the dealers net position in the Si is $16,502 (after marketing incentives and dealer holdback). Any sales price below that level would be below the dealer's net cost. In order to reduce their inventory and to reduce their financing cost a dealer may go below this price, but you will probably have to work hard for such a price. I believe this dealer incentive package is in place until July 31.

Honda is also offer 1.9% financing on all civics. This interest rate is below market and should be strongly considered if you plan to finance your Si.

According to College Hills Honda's webpage the 04 Si's will not be out until October.

STP03BlueSI
07-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by spydur
According to the latest info that I've found on the internet, the dealers net position in the Si is $16,502 (after marketing incentives and dealer holdback). Any sales price below that level would be below the dealer's net cost. In order to reduce their inventory and to reduce their financing cost a dealer may go below this price, but you will probably have to work hard for such a price. I believe this dealer incentive package is in place until July 31.

Honda is also offer 1.9% financing on all civics. This interest rate is below market and should be strongly considered if you plan to finance your Si.

According to College Hills Honda's webpage the 04 Si's will not be out until October.

Thanks for the INFO!!!:D

jrob6716
07-03-2003, 10:44 PM
yes.. Thank you very much... I guess itthe type r isnt coming soon i can always drop my type s motor in there from my mangled RSX.

i've searched and search for the rims but no luck. would I have to call England or JP?

THX

spydur
07-04-2003, 05:12 AM
If you are looking for a set of original CTR wheels then check out:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/

This is were our brothers across the pond hang out. Its a great, informative website. The problem with buying wheels from England will be the shipping cost.

Sorry about the RSX accident. If its a Type S, then it will be interesting to see what happens to the motor/transaxle!

icegrill
07-04-2003, 12:56 PM
I just got my 03' Si in Washington for 18,200 with a 14,500 trade in on my 02' Si with 2000 miles. Not too bad of a deal. I paid 17,700 in December for the 02' So I didn't lose too much on the deal. It could have been alot worse. Plus I got extra stuff like trunk liner, wheel locks, mats etc. and no charge( or so they say) basically you have to call the dealer out and say"your going to make money no matter what" Honda gives kickbacks on certain cars and theres all these hidden rebates plus fleet buying I'll never get what dealers actually pay for their cars. :o

SinisterCivicSi
07-04-2003, 01:23 PM
OMG i think the ONLY thing that saved you was that your mileage was super low. wow i would be so upside down on that deal.

what was the reason you did that anyways.....just curious.

you in washington state or dc?

icegrill
07-04-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
OMG i think the ONLY thing that saved you was that your mileage was super low. wow i would be so upside down on that deal.

what was the reason you did that anyways.....just curious.

you in washington state or dc?

Washington state. My SILVER ep had a crack in the paint from new which ended up having the whole passenger side refinished and it still didn't look right to me. You can never get silver metallic to lay down the same as factory metallic flake. It bugged me so much I traded the car. Plus I felt like the car was cursed from the beginning. My advice from this: Don't buy a car thats been sitting on the lot too long, like all the 02' si's were this last winter. They won't be "new" if you live in a winter climate.

SinisterCivicSi
07-04-2003, 11:14 PM
wow, i guess i was lucky....... i got mine with only 2 miles on it....it came off the truck a week before.

you didnt notice the paint prob before?

tsa1
07-05-2003, 12:04 AM
hey what color is your rsx? cuz if its desert silver metallic i need your bumper man. some dumbass rear ended me so i need it. where is it at.

jrob6716
07-05-2003, 12:14 AM
insurance has already taken it. .. The rear bumber was gone to..

j

DX4U2NV
07-05-2003, 01:52 AM
surprised no one asked this yet: "the HELL happened to your car?"

jrob6716
07-05-2003, 10:30 AM
I was headed to a club to hand out demo's that night when some A$$hole cut me off. Then to top it off he clipped my rear back quarter panel and bumper. He ended up spinning out to but he sent me into the Center divider. I am still going to Phys. Therapy. My checst and back & neck are not right ever since. got a lawyer. looks like I'll see somewhere around the neighborhood. of 30k/40k depending. Plus the payoff the car. After what I have had to go throught thats the least they could do for me. Now if Honda can only get that CTR over here I could buy 1 cash...

just makes you realize that your not invinceable in your car.
Stay Safe guys.... & Gals

SinisterCivicSi
07-05-2003, 10:35 AM
glad to hear your ok considering.....get better. cant wait to see the new ride. take it easy ;)

EKthenEPnow
07-05-2003, 10:38 AM
In Canada there are several websites which you can use to find
"dealer invoice", "dealer cost"

I'm sure there is something like that in the U.S.

What I did was find out cost and call/travel to all my local dealers (over 9 of them)

Eventually I found one that sold me my car for $155 over cost and only one bullshit fee ($185 admin) .

If you can be patient it will pay off

W