PDA

View Full Version : hydrolock?

02eysi
07-03-2003, 04:12 PM
is it dangerous to drive in the rain an get on it or is it just dangerous to drive in deep puddles???

jerky
07-03-2003, 04:13 PM
don't drive through puddles that will totally submerge the filter. that is all.

02eysi
07-03-2003, 04:16 PM
ya but can i drive in the rain

jerky
07-03-2003, 04:22 PM
you can drive when it is pouring.:)

02eysi
07-03-2003, 04:25 PM
OK SO I GUESS THE ONLY THING I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IS LIKE 8 INNCH PUDDLES RIGHT???? THANK S FOR UR HELP

jerky
07-03-2003, 04:27 PM
no problem.;)

shimmy_yaz
07-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Yes all you really have to worry abput is driving thru deep puddles which totally submerge the intake filter therefore making the intake suck up water. The average rain storm will not hurt it at all and most of the time you will find that the filter is totally dry after driving thru a rainstorm. Easy on the caps lock too.

VBSI
07-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Did I miss some of this post? I assume you are asking if you can drive in the rain with a CAI. The answer is yes, but you never know what may happen. I personally don't have a CAI, because I hate stressing over the exact question you asked.

02eysi
07-03-2003, 04:31 PM
YES A CAI I WAS JUST WONDERING BECUZZ IT WAS RAINING TODAY AN I WAS GUNNING IT BUT NO PROBLEMS I DIDNT KNOW U HAD TO SUBMERGE THO WHOLE THING IN WATER THAT IS PRETTY DAM HARD TO DO

shimmy_yaz
07-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Well you don't necessarily have to submerge the whole thing to suck up water but you have to be in some fairly deep water to have problems. Easy on the caps lock!

VBSI
07-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Ok, using CAPS to "yell' at someone is plain fucking stupid-not unlike your post. The best part is you asked(in a totally non-descriptive manner) if it was OK to do what you did-after you did it. You obviously didn't have problems during or after the drive, so figure it out. The "search" feature will help you if common sense, or CAI instructions fail. Go submerge your head in water and hydrolock your lungs.

JLannoo
07-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by VBSI
Ok, using CAPS to "yell' at someone is plain fucking stupid-not unlike your post. The best part is you asked(in a totally non-descriptive manner) if it was OK to do what you did-after you did it. You obviously didn't have problems during or after the drive, so figure it out. The "search" feature will help you if common sense, or CAI instructions fail. Go submerge your head in water and hydrolock your lungs.

that was a bit harsh, I think he just bumped the caps lock

iVtec si
07-03-2003, 08:09 PM
I've had my cai for about 6 mo. and no problems, water will run or bead off the filter because it's oiled. But that doesn't mean that it's 100% fool proof DO NOT run you throttle through big puddles. I always put the clutch in when I go through a puddle that is big enough to kick up allot of water in the wheel well (just to be safe).

STP03BlueSI
07-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Hydrolock..man i see cars all the time do that when it floods here.
Livin in FL is fun!

OK i thought that the CAI filter was actually hidden because it was in the wheel well/front bumper. But if you put the car on a lift can u see it? or is it hidden?;) (yep i am still a newbie):D

VBSI
07-04-2003, 09:55 AM
The AEM intake(not sure about others) needs to have a small area of the wheel well plastic removed. Although I have heard of some people not doing this(I think), the filter is still low, but buried in the bottom of the well-which would suck up water in deep puddles or excessive splash.

Zigen5
07-04-2003, 05:13 PM
I just installed my AEM CAI and it is in the the driver side front fender. Its cover up inside the fender so there is no way it will get wet. You do have the remove some of the fender to install it. There is no way to install it with out removing some of the plastic fender. The filter it self is not exposed to the out side. If you were to change your sidemarker bulb all you do is remove the plastic liner from the wheel well, that is were the filter would sit. There is no way you would hydro unless you have your car underwater for a period of time. CAI are safe!!!! :D

Papa Bear
07-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Zigen5
I just installed my AEM CAI and it is in the the driver side front fender. Its cover up inside the fender so there is no way it will get wet. You do have the remove some of the fender to install it. There is no way to install it with out removing some of the plastic fender. The filter it self is not exposed to the out side. If you were to change your sidemarker bulb all you do is remove the plastic liner from the wheel well, that is were the filter would sit. There is no way you would hydro unless you have your car underwater for a period of time. CAI are safe!!!! :D

I have the AEM Cai and I drive in the rain all of the time. I agree, they are safe. Go and get one!

02NJHondaep3
07-05-2003, 01:34 AM
Has anyone ever hydrolocked a car w/ a CAI or knows someone who has (and vouch for it)?

cbecker333
07-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by VBSI

If he has 96 posts and he knows everything, just imagine how smart he'll be at 200

j/k:p :p

VBSI
07-05-2003, 10:34 AM
I know everything about everything already. I lost my temper, and I'll be the first to admit it-but it was only after I asked very nicely about more information on his problem, and he came back with a CAPSLOCK attack. There are two wrongs that don't make a right in this case and it won't happen again(until it happens again).

STP03BlueSI
07-05-2003, 02:10 PM
OK here you go. Yes i do know someone that did get Hydro lock on their car. But it was on a 97 RS Eclipse. Water in the engine is bad. Makes the Oil in to sluge.
Working at a dealership we had a VUE(saturn) come in where the customer saw the low coolant light come on and promply opened the OIL cap and filled the engine full of water.(water was coming out of everything, and this is fresh water)

Now my GF has the same car but a 99rs. I installed a AEM CAI on the car. If you stand right in front of the car and look in the slot where a intake sits(there is openings in the bumper for air to go to the engine right above the R in bear.) We drove the car around for about 5 months, now i do live in FL and it rains and floods like a mofo. We had no problems what so ever. The filter would end up soaked but no water in the engine.

But if you drive like a bat out of hell doin high revs, and running it hard in the rain. you have a higher risk of water gettin in, because the intake is suckin more air to accomidate the driving.(THIS DOES NOT REFER TO THE EP) i hear the EP one is hidden.
LINK TO PICture (http://groups.msn.com/MySonyDigy/cheryl.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=634)

Hopefully that answers your ?

02NJHondaep3
07-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Finally, thank you.

STP03BlueSI
07-05-2003, 03:17 PM
np glad i was able to help:)