PDA

View Full Version : Well this blows!These springs I have (progress) the company makes specific one for Si

02SilverSiHB
08-21-2002, 04:15 PM
Yeah, great. I got an email from them telling me. I got the springs since they were cheap and I thought it would be fine since H&R has springs that are made for the EX and are used on the Si also.
Damn!
So these are going to have to come off and will be sold

xlr8
08-21-2002, 04:19 PM
wow thats weird. why would it be any diferent from progress then h&r

SpeedRacer
08-21-2002, 04:49 PM
just keep them they cant be much diffrnt

02SilverSiHB
08-21-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
just keep them they cant be much diffrnt
well he emailed me back and said the difference is the spring rate.
The 01 EX springs from progress have a 145#/in front and 350#/in rear. The 02 Si has 280#/in front and 500#/in rear. So I'm going to keep these springs for now, seeing how they have a lower spring rate and the performance shocks on this car can handle it longer. Later on, I'll get the ones specifically made for the Si, I like the sound of the higher spring rate they made...that's awsome and will help a lot for drag racing once and a while. I'll definitely need to invest in better shocks once I get the ones for the Si, as the higher spring rate will kill the shocks quick.

ssvr6
08-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Has H&R come out with the Cup Kit for this car yet? I'm really interested in that.

Steve

2sloSi
08-21-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

well he emailed me back and said the difference is the spring rate.
The 01 EX springs from progress have a 145#/in front and 350#/in rear. The 02 Si has 280#/in front and 500#/in rear. So I'm going to keep these springs for now, seeing how they have a lower spring rate and the performance shocks on this car can handle it longer. Later on, I'll get the ones specifically made for the Si, I like the sound of the higher spring rate they made...that's awsome and will help a lot for drag racing once and a while. I'll definitely need to invest in better shocks once I get the ones for the Si, as the higher spring rate will kill the shocks quick.

Yea, a 145 spring rate up front is real soft!

02SilverSiHB
08-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 2sloSi

Yea, a 145 spring rate up front is real soft!
too soft for me :D
I like it rough :)

DynaSpeed
08-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Is there any type of database on the net of spring rates for different manufacturers? I would really like to know what my GC's are at compared to others.

02SilverSiHB
08-22-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
Is there any type of database on the net of spring rates for different manufacturers? I would really like to know what my GC's are at compared to others.
probably the best way is to email each company directly

DynaSpeed
08-22-2002, 01:55 PM
After somebody does this that has nothing else to do, please email me with the database of the information that you obtained.

Thank you

:D ;)

SiCivic2k2
08-22-2002, 11:56 PM
I just put a down payment on some Progress springs at a local parts store. They were $179.00. 2.0" drop all the way around and they are specifically for the new Civic Si. I'll be picking them up tomorrow and hopefully get them installed the same day. How hard is this to do? I really don't want to fork out $100+ just to get some springs installed. I'm going to have to pay for an alignment too. I'll post some pics and how I like the springs soon.

2sloSi
08-23-2002, 12:01 AM
After somebody does this that has nothing else to do, please email me with the database of the information that you obtained.

Thank you

:D ;)

LOL!

I don't even have a job and i wouldn't do that! ;)

I probably should cause i would love that info!

SiCivic2k2
08-23-2002, 12:27 AM
Okay, I just found someone else posted this question already. Nevermind. Looks like I'd be better off having a professional do it.

02SilverSiHB
08-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by SiCivic2k2
Okay, I just found someone else posted this question already. Nevermind. Looks like I'd be better off having a professional do it.
man, it's soooooo easy. I did it in 2 hours. I'd save your money if you can

ssvr6
08-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Did you have it aligned afterwaryds? (Too lazy to search. :D )

Steve

02SilverSiHB
08-23-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Did you have it aligned afterwaryds? (Too lazy to search. :D )

Steve
I do need to get an alignment. I have to have the steering wheel turned slightly to the right to keep it striaght. I don't have the money to get an alignment right now. My wife would kill me if I did spend the money...shit she'd kill me if she knew I bought these springs :(

oh, and the rear is definitely going to need a camber kit.

ssvr6
08-23-2002, 09:05 PM
Great, thanks for the info. (My wife is going to do the same to me. I have to sneak. ;) )

Who makes a quality camber kit and can I install it with the springs?

Steve

sammysir
08-23-2002, 10:08 PM
SilverHB why would you need an alighment? how do you have that bad of toe with just lowering springs? BTW these new civics have self correcting camber in the front so the only alignment problem should be rear. Look at any site for camber kits for our cars the front kits are .5 degress and cost like 10 bucks vs. the 4 degree in rear and 200 bucks. and that .5 degree kitt in front would only help if the car is lower than 2.5 to 3 inches.

SiCivic2k2
08-24-2002, 12:12 AM
I read that it was kind of hard to do. What all tools do you have to have? Do you need a spring compressor? Trust me, I would way rather do it myself and save $100+, but I'm not sure If I'm capable. Is it similar to the older civics (1998-2000) My friend has done a drop on a couple of the EK's and said he could help me if it was similiar. Thanks for any info.

DynaSpeed
08-24-2002, 07:52 AM
Look at any site for camber kits for our cars the front kits are .5 degress and cost like 10 bucks vs. the 4 degree in rear and 200 bucks. and that .5 degree kitt in front would only help if the car is lower than 2.5 to 3 inches. I've looked everywhere for a rear camber kit for the Ep, including Ingalls. As of right now, I'm tempted to get either the RSX rear camber kit, or the 01+ EX kit. I'm really skeptical on if these will work though.

02SilverSiHB
08-24-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by sammysir
SilverHB why would you need an alighment? how do you have that bad of toe with just lowering springs? BTW these new civics have self correcting camber in the front so the only alignment problem should be rear. Look at any site for camber kits for our cars the front kits are .5 degress and cost like 10 bucks vs. the 4 degree in rear and 200 bucks. and that .5 degree kitt in front would only help if the car is lower than 2.5 to 3 inches.
Some people need an alignment, it's just the way it goes. I needed an alignment even before I lowered it. It was off a little when I got it from the dealer. I know they have self correcting camber. I was talking about the rear, if you read closely I said the rear not the front

02SilverSiHB
08-24-2002, 08:55 AM
I've looked everywhere for a rear camber kit for the Ep, including Ingalls. As of right now, I'm tempted to get either the RSX rear camber kit, or the 01+ EX kit. I'm really skeptical on if these will work though.
go to www.modacar.com and get the GSR (that's the company name) camber kit. Don't get one for the 01 EX. I asked www.inlinefour.com and they said it would not work

02SilverSiHB
08-24-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by SiCivic2k2
I read that it was kind of hard to do. What all tools do you have to have? Do you need a spring compressor? Trust me, I would way rather do it myself and save $100+, but I'm not sure If I'm capable. Is it similar to the older civics (1998-2000) My friend has done a drop on a couple of the EK's and said he could help me if it was similiar. Thanks for any info.
I had an impact wrench. It just made things faster. Yes you need a spring compressor. It's similar to the previous civic as for the rear. The rear is just one bolt on the shock at the bottom and two at the top. The rear was kind of a pain to get back in when reinstalling it, I just used my jack and got a wood block to use to lift the shock up, so I could then put that one bolt in. The front is really easy. The steering rod is so easy. Just break the nut loose and don't take it off just yet. Unscrew the nut till it is flush with the bottom of the bolt. Then take a mallet and hammer it lightly at that nut that is flush with the bolt. It comes out easy. The there are two bolts that hold the rotor assembly to the shock. Just take those out and then take the three nuts off at the top of the shock tower. It so easy. But if you don't feel good about it, just pay up and let someone else get their hands dirty :D