PDA

View Full Version : Would You Pay $23,035 For A Ctr?

spydur
07-04-2003, 02:20 PM
I got a little curious as the what our english friends pay for their CIVIC TYPE R's. With a little internet research and some help from a gentlemen at http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/. This is what I learned:

The CIVIC TYPE R's "on the road price" with A/C in England is 16,875 english pounds. In order to equivocate this to the USA Si you must deduct: 475 pounds - delivery; 165 pounds - road tax; 25 pounds - registration fee; and 2,417 pounds - 17.5% Value Added Tax. Therefore, the equivalent "sticker price" would be 13,811 pounds or $23,035 (at todays exchange rate). In addition to these adjustments, the CTR does not have a moonroof!

Maybe we can now understand why HONDA USA does not bring the CTR to North America! If they can't successfully sell a Si for a sticker price of $19,460, then why would they expect to sell a CTR for $23,035?

Considering that new Si's are now being advertised in Tulsa for $16,995 (10,183 british pounds), maybe we are getting a great deal! Obviously the market in England differs greatly from the USA.

DyNastySi
07-04-2003, 02:37 PM
I guess thats a yes for me. I bought mine for 18, and with a swap its almost the same price. Unless someone can find me a motor at around 2 g's.:eek:

IceD out N CALI
07-04-2003, 02:56 PM
too much! 19999 be better price:)

KickerSi
07-04-2003, 03:18 PM
23,000 thats it? I would pay up tp 26,000 out the door. If this car came out tommarow I would go and get one at 5:00 AM in what ever color they have, even if the car was pink with green striping. I want this car sooo bad and would probly pay up tp 30 if needed.

Peking
07-04-2003, 04:11 PM
To me it depends. I would pay up to 26,000 with no problem. The only thing that gets me is the fact that I got my Si at such a great deal. The trade off is the question. 02/03 Si- Cheaper car, good all around car, easily modified (depends), you can make up the difference in horsepower. 02/03 Type R- Around Type S price range, great power plant (40 more horses than the Si), even better styling, great all around car ( I would imagine), less weight (no sunroof, no cruise control), and hell it's a Type R. It would be like the Integra GSR/ Integra Type R- Civic Si/ Civic Type R. Which one would you want?

Acura made both of the GSR, Type R (it was like 2500 Type R units). They both sold well. I could see the same for the Si and Type R. 2000 units for the Civic Type R and they could make 10000 or so Si's. Only thing is the sales of the Acura units. :o

Jon

bloo_ep3
07-04-2003, 06:00 PM
yes i would

i am paying $26,700 for mine, but i live in canada, so prices are a little different, but yeah i would pay that for a ctr

civic hatch boi
07-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by spydur
I got a little curious as the what our english friends pay for their CIVIC TYPE R's. With a little internet research and some help from a gentlemen at http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/. This is what I learned:

The CIVIC TYPE R's "on the road price" with A/C in England is 16,875 english pounds. In order to equivocate this to the USA Si you must deduct: 475 pounds - delivery; 165 pounds - road tax; 25 pounds - registration fee; and 2,417 pounds - 17.5% Value Added Tax. Therefore, the equivalent "sticker price" would be 13,811 pounds or $23,035 (at todays exchange rate). In addition to these adjustments, the CTR does not have a moonroof!

Maybe we can now understand why HONDA USA does not bring the CTR to North America! If they can't successfully sell a Si for a sticker price of $19,460, then why would they expect to sell a CTR for $23,035?

Considering that new Si's are now being advertised in Tulsa for $16,995 (10,183 british pounds), maybe we are getting a great deal! Obviously the market in England differs greatly from the USA.

who wouldn't pay $23k for a Ctr? it's the same price as a TypeS for a car that looks better and is better. duh~!

Team
07-04-2003, 07:30 PM
I think 23k is a very nice price, but then again im just a Si owner...

Adam

minimay7
07-05-2003, 01:25 AM
$23,000?:eek:

No Thank you.... I will go with WRX... Wagon all the way!!!

minimay7
07-05-2003, 01:26 AM
AWD... Baby!!!

Well... that didn't prevent my previous WRX from flipping over...:(

chubbychu
07-05-2003, 01:32 AM
well, its only like 4-6 thousand more for the CTR than the si...and with that 4-6k it has the type r motor, stiffer suspension, better rims and tires...and a "kit"....hmm....maybe it is worth it. althought you dont get a sunroof...AWw man! no sunrooof? shucks...looks i cant get this car. Lol jk jk

ALTHOUGH its too late now cuz i have an si so they had better not bring it over here...cuz i dont want to be the INFERIOR model civic.

Mechanic
07-05-2003, 06:22 AM
Would I pay $23,035 for a CTR?

Damn right, I would. I'll take all you can find at that price.

(By the way, much as I wish the pound/dollar ratio would work out as you computed it, it's doubtful. The chassis & running gear changes that your pals at the US Dept of Transportation and the Environmental Protention Agency mandate for U.S. models virtually guarantees the selling price of a U.S. CTR would be much higher than the comparable European/Brit model.

But keep a good thought! Honda may stuff the Acura S or R running gear into the EPs, either of which would make a sensational fun car.)

kinonai
07-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Hi spydur ;)

Its funny how the US/Can only get the EP in Si(R) trim 3 door. Then again, we don't get the DC5 in any shape or form.

civic hatch boi
07-05-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by minimay7
$23,000?:eek:

No Thank you.... I will go with WRX... Wagon all the way!!!

wagons are hideous...

Steve02Si
07-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Sorry, I bought my Si because it's NOT a Type R! I wanted something cheap but built with quality, economical but fun, nice looking without drawing too much attention.

If I'm dropping over $20k on a car, you can bet it'll have AWD and a turbo! EVOs can be had for under $28k new. By next year the Si will have over 50k and I'll be trading up.

XLR8B4U
07-05-2003, 07:37 AM
YES I would... But I would want it to have LSD.

I like 2 door hatchbacks at the moment so it would work perfect.
VW = Sloppy handling
RSX = Looks more like a coupe.

What else is there that is fast and reliable?

Craig

VBSI
07-05-2003, 08:27 AM
Yep-$23,000 and I would snap it up. However, the price conversion reveals the exact issue with the CTR over here. The Acura RSX Type-S is right at that price point and Honda will not let one brand eat the other in the US. I realize that not one person on the continent of North America gives a hoot about internal brand competition, but Honda does, and we suffer. Here is an idea for Honda-instead of giving us less, give us more. The whole problem is that they ASSUME that the CTR wouldn't sell, or if it does it hurts Acura sales. Who cares? Here is another point to ponder....finance charges. When I was looking into getting an RSX base or an S, I had to have like $2300 down at signing, and like $265 a month payments-at a rate of like 3 to 4%. My EP was 0 down, 1.9% and $244 a month-for the same money as a base RSX. The car may have a base price, but all the little strings attached balloon the payment. In summary, it is almost like Honda hides the performance under the hood of an Acura, and makes you really pay for it if you want it. The s2000 may be an exception to that, since it is Honda badged and fast as hell, but it is also a bunch more in the money department.

EKthenEPnow
07-05-2003, 10:27 AM
No I wouldn't

$23 ish U.S. is over $30 Canadian

Thats getting really close to alot of very nice cars, that might not have the same purpose but that are VERY NICE CARS.

CDN price for the Si(SIR) was $25,500 retail (most people paid in the $23,???? range.

I would have justified the Type R if it was no more than $29,??? CDN

ie: within approx $5,000 of an Si(SIR) would be justifiable (I think)

spydur
07-05-2003, 11:11 AM
I think VSBI has targeted one of the major reasons why HONDA has not seen fit to bring the CTR to North America. Honda created Acura to be its luxury/sports line in North America (i.e. Japanese BMW)( The S2000 is a special exception). Therefore, the only TYPE R's will probably be Acuras.

Also, given the limited market for Sports Sedans in North America, it probably doesn't make sense for one manufacture to have two cars competing with each other at the same basic price point.

If only HONDA would pay more attention the its buyers and respond by making the Si more performance attractive, like:

More color selections (why does the USA not get MILANO RED ? It is a SPORTS sedan ( i.e. CAR) )
16" or 17" Wheels w/performance tires
Lower Ride Height (eliminate the ugly wheel well gap, CTR's and BMW's don't have it.)
Improve the breathing intake to increase HP
A center console armrest

I'm sure there are other improvements that would also help, but the above improvements could be made at only a marginal increase in manufacturing cost of the Si, and it would broaden its market appeal!

EP3_DC5
07-05-2003, 11:55 AM
I'd trade my RSX Type S in for a CTR if the price was no more than $23K out the door in Milano Red.......preferably with LSD, Recaros, auto climate control. It would be a good deal then. If it is any more it just doesn't make any sense. It would not be worth sacrificing all the things that you get the with Acura badge.
Honda of America should definately bring the CTR over........actually they should bring the ITR over... that would be even better and price it around $25K. The DC5R is just an amazing machine.

RiceCzechs
07-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Let's also bear in mind that UK automobile pricing is notoriously inflated (exchange rate or no), and has, in the past year or so, only begun to decline as more attention has been drawn to the pricing discrepancies between the UK and mainland Europe. 10-15% price drops on identical models year-to-year over the last 24 months haven't been uncommon. If a CTR would come to the N. American marketplace, and bearing in mind the existing failure (from a volume standpoint) of our '02-'03 Si's, I would imagine that an MSRP of $21,500-$22,000 would be about all they could ask...

snubnose
07-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Something else to consider: If you buy a CTR what are you going to to with your EP? Trade it in? If so, you will lose about $4,000 on your trade-in. Add another $2,000 for the payments you have already made.

Now, if you add in all the money you have lost, you are paying closer to $30k with tax and the CTR has less than 40 more hp!

If you get the same color, it's almost like you have the same car in your driveway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's just not worth it.

f1fever
07-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Bring it out! I am ready anytime!!
Personally, I don't see any issue in regarding the price/class competition between RSX and SiR.

In Canada, a base RSX and SiR are pretty much the same price anyways. And I think the "R" is worth the money. Better engine, LSD, better handling.

And please don't tell me with the extra $ you can add a turbo or things like that. I mean, if I want a turbo car in the first place, I would buy a WRX (like everybody said in the early message), than a Honda.

Personally speaking, if Honda is not a N/A car, then is not a Honda.

A little off topic here, but that's my $0.02

redronin22
07-06-2003, 02:31 AM
hmm insurance rates would be deadly and ricers would try there best to secure the coveted R badges for their 85 civic dx sedan.

=-P

redronin22
07-06-2003, 02:33 AM
23 grand would be possible considering that they took out the ac(800$) /moonroof (900) power steerin + cruise control.

hmmm sure would be temptiing but what the hell can i do with my 18.5k si thats sittin in my driveway?

blueiedgod
07-06-2003, 11:25 AM
I personally would not spend more than $15000 on any Civic. For $23K you get a really fast car, but it is still a Civic, an entry level car. For $23K I want my A/C (or climate control), sunroof, and most defenately an armrest. A stripped down Si for more money will not fly with me. As it is, Honda is having hard time selling Si's because they don't come with Automatics.

I am 28, and have a respectable white collar job, my car is the only Civic in the parking lot, amongst Lexi, BMW's, and Mercedes'. For a couple more dollars ($25-28K) I can get a TSX or IS300.
Don't take me wrong, I love my Si, and fits perfectly, payment wise, between the mortgage and other expences. I don't really care that I am the only employee that drives an economy car, I love driving it, it puts a grin on my face when I sit behind the wheel and row though the gears.

EViLsneakyDUCK
07-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Since you guys are saying Honda is bring performance cars under the Acura name, maybe Honda will bring the CTR over to the US under the Acura name as CSX. But I really wouldn't pay 23,000 for a CTR considering you can get an Si for 15-17,000.

spydur
07-09-2003, 07:16 AM
bump.....for those that may have missed this over the 4th of July weekend.

02SilverSiHB
07-09-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by spydur

wow, I'd buy, since your price says 4k more than the si :D because I bought my si for 15,700...that's only 19,700 for the type r :D I wished

Composite Guru
07-09-2003, 07:50 AM
I did and don't reget it at all!!!:cool:

I really feel for you guys who want CTR's but can't get them.
I want an ITR but they don't sell them here in Britain. So it's not just you guys that are pi**ed with Honda!!!

Chrisbgft
07-09-2003, 09:11 AM
well, just curious. How much were the Integra Type R's when they were released?