PDA

View Full Version : KW Installed! Pics inside!!!

greenguy
07-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Install went VERY smooth! Started around 2pm, and finished up around 4:30ish. Half shaft on right side was the only one to pop out but was caught and imediatley put back in place. We took extra care in assuring that we didnt run into that head ache. Hint: when wheel is off, use a jack stand to support the WHEEL LUG NUT. The half saft only poped out when removing the OEM strut, but like I said we cought it, so no biggie.
Rears are a bitch because you are fighting the new strut to get it in place. Hint: have someone step on brake caliper to push rear end assy down while the big ass bolt is put into place. The rears are the hardest to adjust. The fronts are easy!
My camber is WAY fucked up. My tire pressure is fucked up. I had the OEM tires at 34psi up front and now they are at 37.5psi! Its like driving on a wet sponge! The ride is no where near dialed in so a review of the kit will be in about a week.
Now for the pics!
Here is the installed front
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/pa59e7eec650bc800a9511410ee1a45f7/fbc2c697.jpg
Everything bolts up perfectly!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/p99b6551d78f755120d075e2b728698fc/fbc2c689.jpg
Tire gap
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/p1d32b5fe3bde201bb000edea694ebc17/fbc2c691.jpg
This is what the front spring looks like. The bottom one is completely compressed. Is this normal?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/p3c21e9322e1ad0d2a6a1f0e363207511/fbc2c67d.jpg
Well thats all for now kids, more to come and a full review once the alignment is done (thursday) and new wheel/tires are on!

David K.
07-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Don't know in this case if it's normal for that spring to be compressed. The instructions to my H&R's mentioned "dead coils" that apparently are supposed to do that for fitment reasons (I think). I'm sure KW can tell you for sure. Install looks great! Top quality!

Glen@KW
07-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey guys, looks great!

The lower spring is called the helper or tender spring, and is designed to keep the upper spring seated at all times, especially when the wheel is fully extended.

It is perfectly normal for this to be completely compressed like this.

You can imagine what kind of damage you could do if the spring came unseated and was bouncing around in there ;) (no Im not going to mention any other products eh eh eh :D )

Dont forget to watch super 2nr tv on saturday or if you miss it, sunday next week for the segment on the KW Germany Factory Tour!!!

glw
07-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Glen@KW
Hey guys, looks great!

The lower spring is called the helper or tender spring, and is designed to keep the upper spring seated at all times, especially when the wheel is fully extended.

It is perfectly normal for this to be completely compressed like this.

You can imagine what kind of damage you could do if the spring came unseated and was bouncing around in there ;) (no Im not going to mention any other products eh eh eh :D )

Dont forget to watch super 2nr tv on saturday or if you miss it, sunday next week for the segment on the KW Germany Factory Tour!!! i believe the helper spring (or to be seated at full extension) is a requirement in some european countries...

greenguy
07-05-2003, 12:48 AM
Cool.
I need an alignment BAD!!!:'(

Suk02Si
07-05-2003, 04:38 AM
very cool pics, looks like a great quality product

02-sir
07-05-2003, 08:57 AM
very nice, congratulations. I know it's not dialed in yet, but since the compression damping isn't adjustable, can you let us know how it feels when you hit bumps? is it harsh?

BlasTech
07-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Speaking of alignment here's an article about DIYing it. I havent tried this yet, but I've got all the stuff needed in my garage.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=267237

02-sir
07-05-2003, 10:21 AM
good link.

greenguy
07-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 02-sir
very nice, congratulations. I know it's not dialed in yet, but since the compression damping isn't adjustable, can you let us know how it feels when you hit bumps? is it harsh?
Well from my 5mi. ride home it was definatley more "agressive" than stock. Our stock setup has like Three coils, and the new one is like 10. Harsh, I wouldn't say that. Riding on wet sponges cuz my front tires have alot of positive camber, YES!:p

EP33
07-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Sweet, get an alignment and toss on the Zigens:D

greenguy
07-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by EP33
Sweet, get an alignment and toss on the Zigens:D
Im looking forward to the Pirelli ruber!:p

02-sir
07-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by greenguy

Well from my 5mi. ride home it was definatley more "agressive" than stock. Our stock setup has like Three coils, and the new one is like 10. Harsh, I wouldn't say that. Riding on wet sponges cuz my front tires have alot of positive camber, YES!:p

LOL. good luck with the setup, let us know how it turns out!

02TafWhtSi
07-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Looks great! What exactly has to be done about the steering arm? I heard it needs to be re-located? Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about...:confused:
Hey I have an idea once you get the allignment settled and your new rubber put on: Take it for a cruise up to Canyon Lake.
I did this with my father's Boxster S and it was really kick ass fun :p ! Its all twisties up and down the mountain and the scenery is just awesome. If I remember correctly the main road to the lake is Rt. 88 or aka the Apache Trail.

greenguy
07-05-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
Looks great! What exactly has to be done about the steering arm? I heard it needs to be re-located? Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about...:confused:
Hey I have an idea once you get the allignment settled and your new rubber put on: Take it for a cruise up to Canyon Lake.
I did this with my father's Boxster S and it was really kick ass fun :p ! Its all twisties up and down the mountain and the scenery is just awesome. If I remember correctly the main road to the lake is Rt. 88 or aka the Apache Trail.
Alright, get your ass down here in say...Nov. and we have some seriuos driving to do!:D Hell if you want to make it interesting we go up to Cliffton and have a great drive along old HWY 666! Fuckin insaine roads!
As far as relocating anything I am not sure whats invalved if anything about that.

greenguy
07-05-2003, 09:46 PM
Ok, played around with different hights, and tire pressures today, and so far I like em:). Stock tires HAVE TO GO!

02SilverSiHB
07-05-2003, 10:27 PM
I have to admit, I wish I had known about these and I would have bought them instead. I like the idea of a full coilovers setup...nice job.

greenguy
07-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I have to admit, I wish I had known about these and I would have bought them instead. I like the idea of a full coilovers setup...nice job.
Tanx!
I just cant wait until I get them dialed in. And that whole thing (read: myth) about settling, how long will that take?

02SilverSiHB
07-06-2003, 10:33 AM
from my understanding, settling in is really a myth. There isn't such a thing. Basically just driver around for 10 minutes for it to "settle" in, meaning to get readjusted to the change in the drop, etc. Like, when I raise or lower my car, I have to drive it down the block and back to get it to settle back to where it should be, so then I can make more adjustments if needed.

IceD out N CALI
07-06-2003, 10:58 AM
nice product, nice pics

Glen@KW
07-06-2003, 02:42 PM
from my understanding, settling in is really a myth. There isn't such a thing. Basically just driver around for 10 minutes for it to "settle" in, meaning to get readjusted to the change in the drop, etc. Like, when I raise or lower my car, I have to drive it down the block and back to get it to settle back to where it should be, so then I can make more adjustments if needed.

02 is right. The only settling that shoud really occur is any rubber bushings (usually factory spring seats and upper bearings).

Here is my take on the myth, being part of the industry.

In the past, and with some spring manufacturers their springs have a tendancy to sag to a certain extent, because they are not blocked and pre set. Some low tech and smaller spring winders do not do this.

To set your mind at ease, here is the description of the springs we use striaght from our dealer package.

"All KW Sport Springs are created using High Grade Chrime Silicium Steel that has been cold wound then heat treated, ball blasted, shot peened and strengthened. Each spring is pre set to avoid sagging, and then coated in KW brilliant yellow.

The KW Sport Springs are Made In Germany to exacting DIN ISO 9002 standards that guarantee OEM+ quality."

Hope this helps!:D

02SilverSiHB
07-06-2003, 05:43 PM

02 is right. The only settling that shoud really occur is any rubber bushings (usually factory spring seats and upper bearings).

Here is my take on the myth, being part of the industry.

In the past, and with some spring manufacturers their springs have a tendancy to sag to a certain extent, because they are not blocked and pre set. Some low tech and smaller spring winders do not do this.

To set your mind at ease, here is the description of the springs we use striaght from our dealer package.

"All KW Sport Springs are created using High Grade Chrime Silicium Steel that has been cold wound then heat treated, ball blasted, shot peened and strengthened. Each spring is pre set to avoid sagging, and then coated in KW brilliant yellow.

The KW Sport Springs are Made In Germany to exacting DIN ISO 9002 standards that guarantee OEM+ quality."

Hope this helps!:D
I just might buy these and sell my konis :D

SiBoy
07-06-2003, 07:10 PM
can this car be slammed to no wheel gap?

02SilverSiHB
07-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by SiBoy
can this car be slammed to no wheel gap?
I wouldn't doubt it could...and I wouldn't do it :D

SiBoy
07-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Why wouldnt u do it? Scraping?

SiBoy
07-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Oops what i meant was, can the coil overs be slammed to no wheel gap, sorry

02SilverSiHB
07-06-2003, 08:19 PM
I have just a tad more than a finger gap on mine. And that's as far as I'd go. It's bad on any shock to do that on a daily driver. I feel bad about how low I am right now. Oh well. :D

Glen@KW
07-06-2003, 09:35 PM

It depends on your wheel tire combo. If your car is stock, here is how you measure to see how low you can go from your stock position on your current wheel setup.

The max drop is 2.6" lower than stock. To see where this will get you, check out a stock EP and make sure that the vehicle is on level ground.

Measure from the center of the wheel hub to the inside of the top of the fender well as in the diagram below. Take this measurement (marked as B in the diagram).

Then take out the 2.6" and you can see how low you can get your car!

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/honda/wheel.jpg

I have just a tad more than a finger gap on mine. And that's as far as I'd go. It's bad on any shock to do that on a daily driver. I feel bad about how low I am right now. Oh well. :D

This is true if the shock is like most on the market, designed as a stock replacement. KW shocks are designed to operate within the lowering range that we specify (1.4

EP33
07-07-2003, 02:20 PM
I like the corrosion test posted on your website. That is almost the only thing (besides price) that kept me away from coil overs. I could see them eventually becoming non-adjustable after some weathering. Looks like your shi* holds up well in the elements.

I just might buy these and sell my konis :D

Glen@KW
07-07-2003, 02:29 PM
I like the corrosion test posted on your website. That is almost the only thing (besides price) that kept me away from coil overs. I could see them eventually becoming non-adjustable after some weathering. Looks like your shi* holds up well in the elements.

:D

Thanks. I have seen my fair share of corrosion issues, and I feel the same way. Coilovers are an investment, and should last.

For more background on our company, check out an artical that has been posted on VW Vortex.

KW Unplugged (http://www.vwvortex.com/features/07_03/07_06/index.shtml)

EP33
07-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info, reading the article now.

Two more questions about KW while you're on the board:

1. What is the service life of the Koni dampers? Will they ever
need rebuilding?

2. Do the upper mounts for the Civic EP require pillow ball
mounts? I have heard that pillow balls need to be replaced
regularly to avoid sudden failure:eek:

I guess that's three questions. Thanks again, no more questions for now:D

BTW, I saw your segment on Super Tuner TV over the weekend, good stuff.

Glen@KW
07-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the info, reading the article now.

Two more questions about KW while you're on the board:

1. What is the service life of the Koni dampers? Will they ever
need rebuilding?

2. Do the upper mounts for the Civic EP require pillow ball
mounts? I have heard that pillow balls need to be replaced
regularly to avoid sudden failure:eek:

I guess that's three questions. Thanks again, no more questions for now:D

BTW, I saw your segment on Super Tuner TV over the weekend, good stuff.

Easy ones, I like these.

1. The V2's for the EP are not made by Koni, they are produced in house by our race department, and are warranteed for life to the original purchaser. They have a 100,000 miles service life. This is not just a round number, it is a tested number by the seal manufacturer.

2. The aftermarket pillow ball all mounts are not needed, and are not reccomended. We use the factory upper bearing, with its reccomended service life to avoid any issues such as failure and creaking.

EP33
07-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Great!

I'll add KW to my to do list.

Glen@KW
07-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Great!

I'll add KW to my to do list.

No, thank you!

BlasTech
07-08-2003, 07:25 AM

1. The V2's for the EP are not made by Koni, they are produced in house by our race department, and are warranteed for life to the original purchaser. They have a 100,000 miles service life. This is not just a round number, it is a tested number by the seal manufacturer.

2. The aftermarket pillow ball all mounts are not needed, and are not reccomended. We use the factory upper bearing, with its reccomended service life to avoid any issues such as failure and creaking.

I am so sold on these, now. :cool:

silver ep
07-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Glens the man! I ordered my set Thursday of last week, can't wait to get these installed! :)

EPHatchgirl
07-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Speaking of alignment here's an article about DIYing it. I havent tried this yet, but I've got all the stuff needed in my garage.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=267237

Can we sticky this link?

02SilverSiHB
07-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by EPHatchgirl

Can we sticky this link?
done agreed

greenguy
07-08-2003, 04:57 PM

done agreed
Ha Ha totally ghetto!:p .

Ocelaris
07-10-2003, 10:19 PM
just wanted to share a little work I have done in the last two days :)

Ocelaris
07-10-2003, 10:20 PM
y uno mas

Ocelaris
07-10-2003, 10:21 PM
now, the above pic is where I have it set, 1 1/2" above bottom perch setting on the strut for the front, and 1" above bottom on the back. And I have 1/2 finger in the front if any, and 1 finger in the back... To me, that's hella low, somebody asked if it could be slammed? well it is, I'll jsut have to see how it rides and if it scrapes now :) awesome product KW.

greenguy
07-11-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Ocelaris
now, the above pic is where I have it set, 1 1/2" above bottom perch setting on the strut for the front, and 1" above bottom on the back. And I have 1/2 finger in the front if any, and 1 finger in the back... To me, that's hella low, somebody asked if it could be slammed? well it is, I'll jsut have to see how it rides and if it scrapes now :) awesome product KW.

How was your install? Mine took a woppin 2-1/2 hrs:D Very easy!
Hell yes you'll scrape. I had 1-1/2 finger up front, and I would scrape entering the parking lot at work on the "dont back up, extreme tire danger" spikes. I raised it up to a 2 finger gap front/back. Car is still at the alignment shop and should be ready in an hour. Car will be washed, new wheels and tires put on and pics will be taken:D
later...

Ocelaris
07-11-2003, 10:16 AM
I took like all day wednesday to do it myself, but alot of that time was spent adjusting camber on the rear wheels, I have yet to drive it around much yet, so when I get off work I'll go take it over some speed bumps and see how it does, haven't scraped yet on any driveways or entrances...

How far up on the perch did you set your lower spring? I put my front at 1 1/2" and the back at 1" from the bottom... didn't expect it to be this low, probably raise it up some before I take it to the alignment shop.

What do you have your dampers set at? Mine would do 7, 90 degre rotations, I couldn't use the tool on the back, so I just used my hand for all of them. I have it set at 3 turns from the softest, so near the middle, on the softer side.

The whole procedure would have gone faster probably if I'd had help and/or known more what I was doing, I did an install on my friend's EX civic, with the Teins, and am very happy I went with the KWs, the hex nut locking lower spring perch is sweet, much better than the tein's two nuts which you have to turn opposite to lock them in.

greenguy
07-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Dude, I just noticed that our lower spring perch is different. Mine is a two piece and yours is one.
I measured from the top of the controll arm ( black piece that strut attached to) to the top of lower spring perch. Its right at 5-1/4" up front, and rears was more difficult to get a good spot to measure.
I will take new measurements when I put the wheels on with a measuring tape in pice to get a good idea of where I am checking from.
Car is done with alignment. Front struts didnt need a kit as they alow some adjustability and I used the ingals in the rear.
Update soon:)

Ocelaris
07-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah that spring perch is awesome on mine, I was scared because I only got one of those spring perch wrenches, but then I looked at the spring perch and it had a hex locking bolt built into it... much easier than my friend's dual locking perchs...

I'll measure from the control arm when I get a chance, but if you are remeasuring, take a measurement looking straight on from exactly where the spring sits, to where the threads stop... that's where I measured, 1 1/2" front, 1" back.... Or if you take other measurements fill me in to compare, I'm just not around my car till later today.

Damper settings?

greenguy
07-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Yeah that spring perch is awesome on mine, I was scared because I only got one of those spring perch wrenches, but then I looked at the spring perch and it had a hex locking bolt built into it... much easier than my friend's dual locking perchs...

I'll measure from the control arm when I get a chance, but if you are remeasuring, take a measurement looking straight on from exactly where the spring sits, to where the threads stop... that's where I measured, 1 1/2" front, 1" back.... Or if you take other measurements fill me in to compare, I'm just not around my car till later today.

Damper settings?
Well Had my camber done today and the car is AWESOME!!!
Damper is one full turn from soft. I was able to get 3-1/2 turns hard to soft.
Unfortunatley I had some unexpected family buisness to take care of so imediate plans with my car are on hold until tomarow night possibly Sunday. Will keep the board updated every step of the way.
Bye.

greenguy
07-13-2003, 10:33 AM

Well Had my camber done today and the car is AWESOME!!!
Damper is one full turn from soft. I was able to get 3-1/2 turns hard to soft.
Unfortunatley I had some unexpected family buisness to take care of so imediate plans with my car are on hold until tomarow night possibly Sunday. Will keep the board updated every step of the way.
Bye.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p7d01f99c4cd73f590474e57ed9e93467/fbaf55ab.jpg

scwafish
07-15-2003, 07:57 PM
I am dying to hear the final review and see pics....the suspense is killing me.:p

Glen@KW
07-16-2003, 08:18 AM
Hey guys and girls,

I will be out of town for the next week or so, so I will not be able to answer your questions right away.

Those of you that have orders pending, most have been shipped as of today, and the remainder will be handled by my staff while I am gone.

For english install instructions, just send in an email to

info@kwsuspensions.com, and one of my staff will take care of you!

Thanks for all your support, and I look forward to your feedback when I return!

scwafish
07-29-2003, 08:34 PM
I am dying to hear the final review and pics. Any progress?

Ocelaris
07-30-2003, 01:26 AM
I just got my alignment last week, cranked the dampers upto 5 (of 7) from soft (so it's almost full hard), and it handles AWESOME. Now it could also be the CTR 22mm rear sway bar, but this thing is just kick A$$ to drive. Definetly glad i did it. There should be pic scattered around ephatch. but here's one.

scwafish
07-30-2003, 08:24 AM
So how is the ride? Harsh..stockish or does it simply depend on the setting? I put a lot of commute mile on my si so it needs to be reasonably comfortable. It looks like you lowered your alot, any bottoming etc?

Ocelaris
07-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Well, since the spring rate is much higher, I would say it's definetly not stock, not as mushy as stock, comparatively, but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it on the highway, when I had it set at 3 (of 7) from full soft, it was awesome on the highway, 5 is good for fast turning going slower (most of my driving) but 3 really made me feel like i was in control on the highways, and definetly not uncomfortable.

No scraping at my height, and I just talked to a guy with skunk2 coilovers and his was significatly lower, and he's not had any problems... So it probably depends, I played it safe, and it's only a mild drop compared to what is possible.

fsugatorbait
07-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Got my KW's on yesterday, I have the front heith set at 11 threads from the bottom and the rear at 12. For dampending, mine are 1 full turn from hard. 3 1/2 turns from hard to soft. I have noticed that the ride while not harsh seems quite bouncy, as compared to stock and the Tein springs I had on. How does your handle? I rubbed once going into a turn and with the addition of sideskirts I plan on increasing the height by another 1 or possibly 2 turns (front and back).

Also put on the Neuspeed rear sway with tie/combo and the car handles like a go cart, couldnt be more happy with the handling. BTW, do your coilovers make any noise?

EDIT...will take pics afterwork to compare drop with yours.

Ocelaris
07-30-2003, 12:56 PM
I'm not getting any noise right now, though every once in a while I might hear a click, but that's maybe every other day maybe... I had mine on 3 for a while, and it was much less bouncy I think, I'm at 5 turns ~2 1/2. Try a lower setting, lemme know what you think, I think mine at 5 turns is bouncier than it was at 3, I think it's much stiffer turning at stiffer right? I should take a better picture of my car out on the street... counting threads is a good way to measure, I wish I had thought of that... I forget the guy's name who got them first, but he and I measured in like inches, from some random point, which seems like a worthless measurement, next time I get under the car I'l lhave to count. What finger gap do you have? I'm about 2 all around, a little less in the front though. Please do take pics :)

fsugatorbait
07-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Ive got a half finger in the back and wheel tuck in the front. i adjusted the dampner to 1/2 turn from hard at lunch in front, the knob doesnt fit on the struts in the back so tuning is a little tougher to gauge. When driving to work this morning stopping at a light reminded me of hummers when they stop how they sway front to back a few times. the suspension seems very high strung.

greenguy
07-30-2003, 04:09 PM
I forget the guy's name who got them first, but he and I measured in like inches, from some random point, which seems like a worthless measurement, next time I get under the car I'l lhave to count. What finger gap do you have? I'm about 2 all around, a little less in the front though. Please do take pics :)
Put a "Green" in front of the guy and you'll have Me:p
Look up a couple of post and you'll see where I posted a pic of the front strut with a tape measure showing the bottom of the threads to the spring perch. I have a 1 finger gap all around.
I get "Boings" and pops when I turn. Need to lube it more. Car handles like its on rails.

fsugatorbait
07-30-2003, 04:34 PM
heres a few quick pics:) , will have an updated members ride section coming shortly with some goodies;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p38a8b03404f4e7fc3ff0c80756a43642/fb871a1c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p757c2597c00ae64ae57ca7ea4365ed9d/fb871a13.jpg

greenguy
07-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
heres a few quick pics:) , will have an updated members ride section coming shortly with some goodies;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p38a8b03404f4e7fc3ff0c80756a43642/fb871a1c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p757c2597c00ae64ae57ca7ea4365ed9d/fb871a13.jpg
NICE!
Lube them well! Everyone recomends lithium grease but it will migrate and collect dirt. I would recomend chain wax. You can get it at any auto supply shop. Just ask the guys and tell them what you need it for and they will probally tell you to use it. It will dry and stay put without collecting dirt.

Glen@KW
07-30-2003, 06:30 PM

I get "Boings" and pops when I turn. Need to lube it more. Car handles like its on rails.

Hey guys,

If you are getting these noises from the suspension, it sounds like the upper bearing is not doing its job.

If possible, can you jack up the front of your car and have someone else turn the wheel while you look at the upper spring perch. The spring and strut should turn with the wheel, not against the one another.

Please check to see if the upper perch is seated correctly to correct this problem or the upper bearing needs to be replaced.

As for the bouncy ride that fsugatorbait has experienced,

Did you purge the shocks by fully compressing and extending them a half a dozen times before installing them?

This is a standard procedure that should be followed before installing any shock absorber as when these shocks are stored and transported air has a chance to bypass the piston and cause a small cavity. This cavity under driving conditions will generate aeration and usually shows its symptoms through a slightly bouncier response to road input.

If this wasn

greenguy
07-31-2003, 07:02 AM

Hey guys,

If you are getting these noises from the suspension, it sounds like the upper bearing is not doing its job.

If possible, can you jack up the front of your car and have someone else turn the wheel while you look at the upper spring perch. The spring and strut should turn with the wheel, not against the one another.

Please check to see if the upper perch is seated correctly to correct this problem or the upper bearing needs to be replaced.

I will try this tomorow. When I turn the wheel I can hear what sounds like a spring being released from being stuck. (Like your turning the spring, spring moves except for the top where its seated, then it gets released...Boing:))
Or I would guess its from the bottom spring that is compressed all the way and its rubbing itself againts the other coils.
I really dont know and these said things are VERY minor compaired to how my car handles, drives and looks now that I have these installed.:)

fsugatorbait
07-31-2003, 07:33 AM

NICE!
Lube them well! Everyone recomends lithium grease but it will migrate and collect dirt. I would recomend chain wax. You can get it at any auto supply shop. Just ask the guys and tell them what you need it for and they will probally tell you to use it. It will dry and stay put without collecting dirt.

When you say to lube them, do you mean to grease the actual springs?

fsugatorbait
07-31-2003, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Glen@KW
[B]

Hey guys,

As for the bouncy ride that fsugatorbait has experienced,

Did you purge the shocks by fully compressing and extending them a half a dozen times before installing them?

This is a standard procedure that should be followed before installing any shock absorber as when these shocks are stored and transported air has a chance to bypass the piston and cause a small cavity. This cavity under driving conditions will generate aeration and usually shows its symptoms through a slightly bouncier response to road input.

If this wasn

greenguy
07-31-2003, 09:00 AM

When you say to lube them, do you mean to grease the actual springs?
I did not lube my springs. Just were the spring meets the top perch ( pillow mount?)
Now I need to see if we used the bearing ring from the oem strut assy.
Also I want to make sure not to over lube as that can also cause premature falure.

Glen@KW
07-31-2003, 09:23 AM

Glen,
I didnt do the actual install due to lack of time. The shop that I gave them to doesnt read German very well so I doubt they were aware that the struts needed to be purged:)...how long would you say that the struts would take on their own to release the air cavaity? Is there a quicker way to ilievate*(sp) the pressure? Im leaving on a road trip to FLA this sat and wonder if Ill be doing any damage by driving that far with this condition.
On the other hand, the assembly is top notch, very precise welds and id be hard pressed to find a better build quality, couldnt be happier with the quality. Great product!
Phil

The lower your car is (ie the less travel there is) the longer it will take. If you want to get it done and over with quickly, you would have to pull the shocks out and extend them all the way, and then compress them all the way a half a dozen times. If you do not change the position of the perch when you take them off, you will have the same alignment when you put them back in.

Otherwise, thanks for the compliment, and enjoy your road trip!

fsugatorbait
07-31-2003, 09:37 AM
ok, thanks, i guess the 3K mile road trip will have to take care of it for me...oh well, even with the bounces it still is head and shoulders above what it replaced.

Glen@KW
07-31-2003, 10:18 AM
Kickass. Have a great trip, and dont forget to take some pics and post your roadtrip review. Im sure that there will be more than a few open twisties that you will encounter!

fsugatorbait
07-31-2003, 10:40 AM
in the short amt of time ive had the car with the full suspension done, i cant believe the handling. It honestly feels like im riding on rails going around corners. On most turns there is no give in the chassis of the car and you can hear the tires slipping on the road. Damn, I need stickier tires.:p

greenguy
07-31-2003, 11:45 AM
Damn, I need stickier tires.:p
If you've got the ca$h I would recomend Pirelli. I have the Pzero Nero and they are absolutley wonderfull! Quite at highway speeds and with my suspention and tires I have yet to find the tires limit:D, I find my limit first:D

fsugatorbait
07-31-2003, 11:50 AM

If you've got the ca$h I would recomend Pirelli. I have the Pzero Nero and they are absolutley wonderfull! Quite at highway speeds and with my suspention and tires I have yet to find the tires limit:D, I find my limit first:D

Good looks, you dont really hear much about Pirelli on the board so its good to hear about them...if you dont mind me asking, how much were they and what size do you have?

greenguy
07-31-2003, 12:34 PM
They retail for around $150. I get em for $120 (Brother-in-law has wholesalers licence:))
I have 215/40/17
They are probally overboard (on a civic)as far as what the tire is capeable of, but I wanted to try them out. I use to have P6000 SV on my last ride and they were great and only retail for around $65.
I love Pirelli and will probally only run them on my rides. Cost a bit more, but definatley worth it:)

SIjealousy
07-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Noise from coilovers...it can be eliminated.

I am currently running Ground Control with Koni inserts. To eliminate the "boing" which is coming from the springs rotating on the perches instead of the whole assembly rotating on the bearing, please read...

Go to your local home improvement store. Ask where to find PVC shower mat material. I guess this stuff is laid down underneath shower assemblies. Anyway, it comes in sheet form and is probably about a 1/16" thick. Measure the I.D. and O.D. of the spring perches (both upper and lower). Mark and cut the mat material to these spec's. Install your freshly cut rings between the spring & lower perch and spring and upper perch on left and right coilover assemblies.

Guess what...NO MORE NOISE! Reason being: this material compresses just enough to keep the springs from moving against the perches. In a sense, the rings kind of "bond" the springs to the perches and force the coilover to rotate only on the OEM bearing.

I've had these rings installed on my vehicle for 8 months and have never gotten the "pop","boing","sproing", or any other spring associated noise. Just a nice quiet ride!

Terry

greenguy
07-31-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by SIjealousy
Noise from coilovers...it can be eliminated.

I am currently running Ground Control with Koni inserts. To eliminate the "boing" which is coming from the springs rotating on the perches instead of the whole assembly rotating on the bearing, please read...

Go to your local home improvement store. Ask where to find PVC shower mat material. I guess this stuff is laid down underneath shower assemblies. Anyway, it comes in sheet form and is probably about a 1/16" thick. Measure the I.D. and O.D. of the spring perches (both upper and lower). Mark and cut the mat material to these spec's. Install your freshly cut rings between the spring & lower perch and spring and upper perch on left and right coilover assemblies.

Guess what...NO MORE NOISE! Reason being: this material compresses just enough to keep the springs from moving against the perches. In a sense, the rings kind of "bond" the springs to the perches and force the coilover to rotate only on the OEM bearing.

I've had these rings installed on my vehicle for 8 months and have never gotten the "pop","boing","sproing", or any other spring associated noise. Just a nice quiet ride!

Terry
Wow! One hell of a First post! Ill asume that you were waiting for the perfect time to chime in...and I'm glad you did. I will go tomorow and see what I can find.
Thank You Terry! And welcome to ephatch.com :)

BlasTech
07-31-2003, 03:12 PM
Damn good idea!

scwafish
07-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Nice to see some post install tech. This product is sounding like the one I will consider getting Im not sure why everyone is so excited over non-adjustable cast iron units with a cool stickers when fully adjustable tig welded stainless is in the same ballpark...to each his own I guess.

Any pics of your car greenguy now that its all installed?

fsugatorbait
07-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Here are some more pics...:)

Raised the front to 13 threads...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p3d2f53bf129ad5836d95c75f823a1a77/fb851517.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p876297603e4bfe010f91805c9e787147/fb85151b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p10501e735a26bfe62b1bec31e7f7f8fb/fb851520.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/pe0fc3d7e5eb7d694b2cfeb54bdfe2cda/fb85152a.jpg

SIjealousy
07-31-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome. To be honest, I drive a 2001 Civic EX Coupe but due to the similarities of our suspension, I thought this might help you guys/gals.

Keep in mind, these rings that I've discussed really only need to be as large in diameter as the outside diameter of the applicable spring that will be contacting them. The rings installed between the spring and upper perch will start to deform,distort, and droop over the side of the spring if cut in a larger outside diameter than the spring. More or less a cosmetic detail but I imagine that there are some fellow anal Honda owners on this board.

Note: I'm pleased to announce that I have purchased a set of KW Inox V2 for my coupe based on the excellent discussions on this board and with Glen Mesinger of KW. Thank you.

greenguy
07-31-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by scwafish

Any pics of your car greenguy now that its all installed?
I will clean the car and take some pics this weekend. I work a 12-1/2 hr. shift which makes for a really long day, so anything during the week is almost out of the question.
i will post soon in members rides:)

p.s: Nice to know that the smeer post that was made didnt hinder anyone dicission on KW. :)

scwafish
07-31-2003, 09:03 PM
Gator-what size tires are those?

fsugatorbait
07-31-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by scwafish
Gator-what size tires are those?

215/45 17

silver ep
07-31-2003, 09:49 PM
I just had my KWs installed and got an alignment and everythings great except the right rear assembly is making a noise like its the shock compressing when I go over any bumps. The best way I can describe it is that its a "piiissssst" kind of noise. I honestly have no idea whats causing this. Im dropped with a 1.5 finger gap. Damper settings are 3 turns from hard. I PM'ed Glen about this but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas?

Civicvtec1ps
07-31-2003, 11:02 PM
looks great guys
i will look into these full coilovers.

greenguy
08-01-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by silver ep
I just had my KWs installed and got an alignment and everythings great except the right rear assembly is making a noise like its the shock compressing when I go over any bumps. The best way I can describe it is that its a "piiissssst" kind of noise. I honestly have no idea whats causing this. Im dropped with a 1.5 finger gap. Damper settings are 3 turns from hard. I PM'ed Glen about this but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas?
Hmmmm. The only sound that I get like that is from the front, and that should be pretty normal. Thats if its even the same sound.

Ocelaris
08-01-2003, 02:29 PM
I think the PSSSST noise is the gas compressing/decompressing, and I know there is something about you're supposed to stretch and compress the damper like 10 times fully before putting them on your car. Something about air getting in them while being transported... But the air is supposed to work it's self out 9 out of 10 times I think Glen said... Mine used to make a much louder PSSSSST noise, but that seems to have gone away now. The only thing I get now is sometimes a spring "boing" probably the springs moving around...

greenguy
08-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Updated pictures of my car is in members ride section.
Click HERE (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18561) for same day delivery:D!

silver ep
08-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Im going to give this PSSSSST noise about a week and if its still making a noise Glen said he would find from his engineers in Germany if theres something more that can be done.

scwafish
08-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Looks super sweet green guy! Thanks.

Jedo
08-04-2003, 06:02 PM
that is very nice!!! hows ur car with the new KW coilover?

silver ep
08-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Noise = GONE! No more psssst noise, it must have worked itself out. These coils are great! Smooth ride, a little bouncy at times, overall awesome handling.. definately worth every penny. ;)

Ocelaris
08-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Try turning your dampers up to a higher setting if you think your ride is bouncy. I had mine at 5 of 7 turns, and it was super tight, but too stiff for my likings... I have it back to 3 and it's definetly more bouncy, but that's just a choice I prefer bouncier over feeling every bump, maybe when roads are better I'll tighten them up. Bill

greenguy
08-05-2003, 06:51 AM
Try turning your dampers up to a higher setting if you think your ride is bouncy. I had mine at 5 of 7 turns, and it was super tight, but too stiff for my likings... I have it back to 3 and it's definetly more bouncy, but that's just a choice I prefer bouncier over feeling every bump, maybe when roads are better I'll tighten them up. Bill
Do you mean half turns? I can only go a full 3-1/2 complete turns.
I set mine to a softer setting and I get the sqeek/squish/psssshh sound. I will deffinatley tighten it up tonight. The front was a little bouncy when taking turns at higher speeds, still in control but could see the nose of the car "floating" for lack of a better word.
still love them!:*

Ocelaris
08-05-2003, 06:24 PM
yeah, sorry, I don't use the knob, and it's easier for me to think of turns in flat to flat, like I notice which direction is pointing towards the wheel (I think ironically full soft and full hard both point to the wheels...)

So I turn the nubbin until it points at the wheel at the same spot... If I were to have to turn it twice (aiming at the wheel), I'd get real confused, like 3 1/2 just doesn't seem like a rational number of turns without the knob... (my knob thing wouldn't fit on the back wheels)

Let's just say it turns 7 pi from full hard to full soft :) or 1260* total... Maybe I'm just forgetful, but I'm concentrating so hard on what 1 the angle of the knob is, I forget if I turn it more than 90* at a time without saying "ONE............ TWO............ THHHHHRrrrrrrEEEEE....." I mean, squeezing my hand in the back is a pain, but it only takes 5 minutes maybe to do all 4.

When I had it turned upto 5, when I was on rough roads it felt like my wheels were vibrating sort of... just worried me since the people who were supposed to do my alignment didn't tighten the wheels back on... but I think eventually I will move back upto at least 4... Much better turning with the harder setting

greenguy
08-06-2003, 06:40 AM
but I'm concentrating so hard on what 1 the angle of the knob is, I forget if I turn it more than 90* at a time without saying "ONE............ TWO............ THHHHHRrrrrrrEEEEE....."
Thats funny, my wife was asking why I was counting while under the hood:D HeHe!

SIjealousy
08-12-2003, 01:29 PM
To y'all with SI's (which is of course most),

Which upper strut mount bearing does your car come with? There are seemingly two different versions available.

1. crappy plastic bearing (holds a bluish-green grease that squeezes out around the edges)

2. high quality metal encased bearing with a contoured rubber friction surface.

Reason I ask: I purchased the KW Coilovers but noticed that the upper spring perch is designed to work with bearing #1 above. I have the revised (02+) bearing. I specifically asked for the spring perch designed to fit the '02+ bearing.

The difference in bearing designs is HUGE. So different in fact that parts for one will not be compatible with the other.

Ocelaris
08-12-2003, 01:42 PM
It's really not that big a deal.

01 isn't that bad.
02+ aren't that great.

It will fit either fine.

Jedo
08-12-2003, 03:33 PM
check this mex's site for the difference between the two upper mounts --->Link<--- (http://gametrax.net/b+g/)

for more explanation, refer to this THREAD (http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96198)

FCobra94
03-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Bump in lieu of my previous request :o