PDA

View Full Version : I test drove an S2K- why the Si may be better

snubnose
07-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Today, I test drove a Sebring Silver '03 S2k. I did it without a salesman, and on one of the twistiest roads in my area. The drive lasted about 35 miles. I took care never to rev it above 5k.

This was the first rwd car I'd ever drove and I enjoyed deliberately accelerating around the corners for traction, fun, and safety. The S2k hugged the road and there was never a hint of body roll.

After only about 10 minutes in the car, I was at home and comfortable as if I had owned it for 20 years. However, there was one thing about it that I don't know if I could live with.

I had to keep the S2K in at least the 5K range just to enjoy some torque. I know that the real torque doesn't really begin until 6K. At that range, the engine noise is loud and I might even say harsh. I don't know how long I could live with this.

I think I vastly prefer the i-VTEC that the Si has compared to the S2K's VTEC engine. I know that sports car purists will choose the VTEC, but I like the smoother, stronger pull that starts earlier with our i-VTEC.

There is rumor and speculation that the '04 S2K will come with i-VTEC. This would be a vast improvement in my opinion.

STP03BlueSI
07-05-2003, 02:23 PM
actually i like the NSX, out of the 2 "Race/sports cars" honda makes in america.

I have taken a ride in both a S2000 and a NSX(it was a 96). Now the engine in the NSX(as you all prob know) sits right behind you.
And the noise was very quiet, even when my moms computer guy reved it high. But the S2000 was extremly noisy. but then again the S2k is a convertable and the top was down, that probably makes a different. I know the NSX is a hardtop.

:p NSX mmmm:p

SiR Medic
07-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Yeah, the '04 S2200 will correct what few "problem areas" the S2000 has.

1/ Bigger 2.2L engine making more torque with a much broader curve.

2/ i-VTEC replacing the (now) passe VTEC; resulting in a more user-friendly powerband, better emissions, and fuel economy.

3/ Redesigned gauges, getting rid of that awful digital set for classier analog ones.

4/ Possible hardtop version: the SS2200.

I WANT an S2000... If it has all the above, I will NEED a '04 S2200!

snubnose
07-05-2003, 02:32 PM
sirmedic:

I'm with you. All of those changes would be excellent.

chunky
07-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by snubnose
Today, I test drove a Sebring Silver '03 S2k. I did it without a salesman, and on one of the twistiest roads in my area. The drive lasted about 35 miles. I took care never to rev it above 5k.

This was the first rwd car I'd ever drove and I enjoyed deliberately accelerating around the corners for traction, fun, and safety. The S2k hugged the road and there was never a hint of body roll.

After only about 10 minutes in the car, I was at home and comfortable as if I had owned it for 20 years. However, there was one thing about it that I don't know if I could live with.

I had to keep the S2K in at least the 5K range just to enjoy some torque. I know that the real torque doesn't really begin until 6K. At that range, the engine noise is loud and I might even say harsh. I don't know how long I could live with this.

I think I vastly prefer the i-VTEC that the Si has compared to the S2K's VTEC engine. I know that sports car purists will choose the VTEC, but I like the smoother, stronger pull that starts earlier with our i-VTEC.

There is rumor and speculation that the '04 S2K will come with i-VTEC. This would be a vast improvement in my opinion.

vtec or ivtec has nothing to do with how loud the engine is.

The cam profiles, intake & exhaust geometry, those are what determine the sound of the engine.

the k20a3 has MUCH MUCH milder cam profiles than the s2000. The s2000's cams are designed to extract maximum power from the engine's displacement. There really isn't much room fore improvement there. Compared to the f20c, the k20a3 is in a much lower state of tune. That is why it appears more tame.

The difference in torque is decieving as well - the s2000 makes more torque than the ep3 even out of vtec.

snubnose
07-05-2003, 04:44 PM
But isn't the '04 S2000 coming with more displacement and different gearing?

siver-SI
07-05-2003, 04:47 PM
I was thinking of getting a S2K, but I hear they are bad in the snow. I need anouther car for when I put a Turbo in my EP so that will not be my primary car and it will not get killed on insurance. I am thinking maybe now a Accord 6-speed.

Peking
07-05-2003, 04:50 PM
I heard that it will. Interesting what the future holds...hmmmmm.

Not really going with this thread, but I have been told by a reliable source that there will be a 04 Si. There's talk about fog lights being standered.

We are going to have to make more room here

Jon:D

JSIR
07-05-2003, 06:53 PM
well there are lots of shortcomings to the s2000, but its still a great car. If you never did a 9000 rpm blast through the gears then you missed about 95% of the fun the car offers. Below 6000 rpms it basically feels like a Prelude. I've driven one once and enjoyed it for a number of reasons. I've also ridden passenger on a closed circuit track in one, and they are amazing track cars. My friend was lapping faster than a ZO6 Corvette in his s2000 track car, with suspension mods and lightening, stock engine and tranny.

I will state that the s2000 has the best transmission of any car on the road, at any cost. Its just amazing how precise and direct it feels, no rods or cables just direct connection to the tranny from the shifter. I kinda found the push button start a bit on the dumb side or gimmickly, you still have to turn a key but then have to push a button, so basically one more step to starting the car = delay.
I'd still love one, and I've grown to like the silver colour more and more over time.

Joey

Mr Sparkle
07-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Too noisy? Bad in the snow?

Good grief.....do yourselves a favour and consider an SUV.

Shark
07-05-2003, 07:52 PM
This is the worst review I ever read in my life.

If you keep the S2000 between 6-9000 RPM, it is a feriocious beast and in no way comparable to an Si.

EPHatchgirl
07-05-2003, 08:24 PM
VERY TRUE that the SI would get wiped upside down by the S2000. My fiance owned one.... and now I own the SI. With the S2000's torque comparable to ours, he says that my SI FEELS as quick as his car, and is as fun to drive.... make no mistake about it, we know the S2000 is WAY faster, but Brent feels like the EP is just as (if not more) fun to drive....:D
No flaming intended.... I loved the S2000, but had to throw in my experience and 2 cents.:)

golferjn
07-05-2003, 10:33 PM
ep, yum. s2000, yum

smapzy
07-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by JSIR
I will state that the s2000 has the best transmission of any car on the road, at any cost.
Joey

Um....I don't know about that...I drove the S2K, the transmission is very nice....but best tranny on the road at any cost? I have to say no on that. Have you ever driven a miata? That's the best tranny for car under 40K. Period. ;-)

redronin22
07-06-2003, 02:00 AM
I love the little snicks of the miata shifter. Damn so precise. too bad teh car has no power. But none the less its fun as hell to toss around

snubnose
07-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Shark
This is the worst review I ever read in my life.

If you keep the S2000 between 6-9000 RPM, it is a feriocious beast and in no way comparable to an Si.

I believe you, but I'm not going to drive a brand new car that way on a test drive. Also, the engine is quite loud at that range, I'm sure by the way it sounded at 5k; I feel if the car had a little broader torque curve, it would be easier to live with on a daily basis.

SiR Medic
07-06-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle
Too noisy? Bad in the snow?

Good grief.....do yourselves a favour and consider an SUV.

LOL!

Anybody who would even consider the S2000 for winter use needs to get their head checked!

I would have an S2000 now... If I lived in someplace that didn't encounter winter once a year. Instead I'll have to rely on the SiR to tide me over until I get the money to afford a second car.

As far as noise is concerned... I think a high-revving engine is one of the sweetest noises in the world!:D

EPHatchgirl
07-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by JSIR

I will state that the s2000 has the best transmission of any car on the road, at any cost.
Joey

Hey, no flaming intended, *only what I have read, seen and been told* but unfortunately, the S2000 had a known transmission flaw that wore out synchros and tore through clutches. The 2nd gear synchros (SOUND FAMILIAR!?) were defective in many of the S2Ks.. also the rear diff couldn't hold more than 300 HP at the wheels without constantly breaking axles. There were complaints by people who had modded their S2K about this. Otherwise, I know what you mean, the transmission is VERY precise, and I liked that too....

Shark
07-06-2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks for respecting a brand new piece of machinery. Next time, take a used one out. You'll be impressed.

I believe you, but I'm not going to drive a brand new car that way on a test drive. Also, the engine is quite loud at that range, I'm sure by the way it sounded at 5k; I feel if the car had a little broader torque curve, it would be easier to live with on a daily basis.

redronin22
07-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Si is better for luggage space and fuel economy =-) but id gladly rip out the back seats n delete the hatch for another 80 hp. =-)

snubnose
07-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Yea, the S2000 is a great car. I can't wait to see what changes the 2.2 engine brings. There is talk about new gearing, more torque at lower rpm, and a softer suspension. Many current S2000 owners say that Honda is losing their initial vision for the car, I personally can't wait and see what 04 brings.

LordKoo
07-06-2003, 03:31 PM
snubnose, do the S2000 and me a favour, don't drive it unless you intend to bring it to the red line.

Comparing S2000 with Civic is like comparing apples to oranges!

i-VTEC in new S2200? Wait long, long! Next generation S2000 maybe...

S2KplusSI
07-06-2003, 07:09 PM
I have a 2001 S2000 and enjoy it immensely. It is a pure joy to drive, and if you are seriously concerned about noise, don't get it. Above 6000 RPM it is fantastic, but loud. I personally don't mind, I even have aftermarket parts to make it louder(not intentionally). You can not explain the joy of driving this car, it may not have much under 6000 RPM, but I still feel it to be faster than my Civic Si below 5000 RPM. I plan to turbocharge my S2000 within a year and it'll be even more fun.

To clarify:
The 2004 S2000 will get:
New Front Fascia, Rear Bumper
A .2 Liter increase in displacement
17" wheels(rumors, who knows?)
Same horsepower, more torque
Lower Redline
New Yellow Color

About the transmission:
It is crisp and perfect to shift with
The 2nd gear grind is more of an annoyance, it hasn't(to my knowledge) caused clutches to burn up. They offered a TSB to fix this problem to the affected cars. Clutches have created a buzzing noise in some cars(unrelated to 2nd gear) and that has a TSB to fix it too. The new cars are not affected by these.

About the differential:
This car was not meant to drag race, one clutch drop could ruin your diff. It can handle more than 300WHP, you just can't drop the clutch from 7000RPM. For auto-x it's perfect.

EPHatchgirl
07-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the informative post!:)

Do you know anything else about this "new yellow" they are coming out with? I know the current yellow had metallic and pearl and like a ton of shades... I thought it was really unique.:)

(My fiance had that color. I LOVED the car, but he got sick of the car payment... )

SiR Medic
07-07-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by S2KplusSI
To clarify:
The 2004 S2000 will get:
Lower Redline

:( BOOO! :mad:

snubnose
07-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Is there any chance there will be an S2200 coupe?

S2KplusSI
07-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Also forgot to mention, the 2004 S2000 will get a softer suspension. Basically, I feel they are making the S2000 like any other Z3, TT, etc. It's losing it's sportiness. Some more rumors circulating are that the S2000 will get an Automatic Transmission as an option and the Hardtop-only version called the S2200 due later next year. Keep in mind, the A/T and S2200 are only rumors, but time will tell.

About the New Yellow:
I believe it's called Rio Yellow Pearl and looks like the '02 Si Euro Yellow, mixed with the Spa Yellow on the current S2000. I personally don't think it'll turn out well.