PDA

View Full Version : Break in period!

MasterVTEC
07-06-2003, 03:44 AM
hey guys i only waited 200 miles, then i let it rip! passed red line in all gears except 5th.

GOOD or BAD?

only reason why i did so is because i talked to one of my co-workers at the honda dealership i work at and he said that the engines today dont need a break in period. I was like yeah right but it says to chill for a few hundred miles in the manuel, He said its bs. (he is the top mechanic in our shop) master tech or whatever... but anyways

He has a 02 si and he redlined it off the lot and says to this day it still runs great even though it has 14000 miles on it now!

i asked about o ring settleing in, he said the o ring is made different these days and no need to baby to settle it in, if you run it hard it'll set in just the same or better! ??? so i dont know what to believe..... but i made my mind up at 200 and redlined my baby like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 03 Vivid Blue Si peace out! im at 550mph now and still runnin good!!! gotta love honda!!!!:)

ApexinSi
07-06-2003, 07:27 AM
humm.... break in period means, for the first 600 miles you must travel at varying speeds.. never stay at once speed for a while. redlining is a no-no, but I'm sure we all wound our cars out the day we picked them up from the lot. I know I did..muhahaha!!! but only like once or twice..maybe three times. :o Hey it's a honda!

STP03BlueSI
07-06-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by ApexinSi
humm.... break in period means, for the first 600 miles you must travel at varying speeds.. never stay at once speed for a while. redlining is a no-no, but I'm sure we all wound our cars out the day we picked them up from the lot. I know I did..muhahaha!!! but only like once or twice..maybe three times. :o Hey it's a honda!

On the test drive i took 2 weeks ago the speedo was acting up and the guy told me to REDline it!!:rolleyes:

Oh and when we parked the car...the speedo didnt work AT ALL(stuck at 40mph):angel:

IceD out N CALI
07-06-2003, 11:06 AM
according to the honda owners manual that is bad. it says you should wait 600 miles (as you probably know). My experience with hondas are that they are pretty bulletproof so most likely not a big deal you did that

Brettnyt
07-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by MasterVTEC
03 Vivid Blue Si peace out! im at 550mph now and still runnin good!!! gotta love honda!!!!:)

DAYUM! I should have done that! Most eps i hear about can only go about 137! damn dude, be careful at 550! ;)

jrob6716
07-06-2003, 12:43 PM
lighting up your car before the break in period is a huge and I mean huge no-no. The reason being is that by burning up the car right away the clutch disc gets glazed and will not bite properly. Therefore causing slip. The material that the clutch disc is made of is either organic or semi metallic. Since the Flywheel and disc are brand new, it hasn't had a chance to seat.

"we recommend breaking in the clutch for 200-300 miles with mild engagement such as stop and go city driving prior to racing or spirited driving. Discs usually only require a few hard slips to lap in the surfaces prior to normal driving or racing. Do not overheat the clutch during the break in period. "

Brettnyt
07-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by jrob6716

"we recommend breaking in the clutch for 200-300 miles with mild engagement such as stop and go city driving prior to racing or spirited driving. Discs usually only require a few hard slips to lap in the surfaces prior to normal driving or racing. Do not overheat the clutch during the break in period. "

who said that? so learnin how to drive manual with under 100 miles on my car was a no no?

shimmy_yaz
07-06-2003, 06:19 PM
My sisters boyfriend is a honda mechanic and he told me that you really don't have to break it in because 99/100 times if they seals aren't gonna seat right they aint gonna seat right and thats all there is too it.

Civicvtec1ps
07-06-2003, 06:40 PM
i just followed manual,
600miles then redlined
:D

X 2KS2K
07-06-2003, 07:38 PM
I made sure my rev limiter was working on my way out of the lot :o . I'm at 10k now and no problems whatsoever.

redronin22
07-06-2003, 09:50 PM
my car is running fine an i hit redline several time ( just couldnt help it). now since ive got hondata the engine has seen over 7500 rpms on a daily basis i still get decent gas mileage it still pulls damn hard and still is a blast to drive. no strange noises or anything so its all good =-)

SIxtasy
07-07-2003, 11:11 AM
dummy:eek: :eek: :eek: you gave you car permanant ouchie:eek: :eek: :eek:

SIxtasy
07-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Was this guy the "Master Tech " at Jiffy lube or something like that?

ApexinSi
07-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by redronin22
my car is running fine an i hit redline several time ( just couldnt help it). now since ive got hondata the engine has seen over 7500 rpms on a daily basis i still get decent gas mileage it still pulls damn hard and still is a blast to drive. no strange noises or anything so its all good =-)

ummmm...hondata..

MasterVTEC
07-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by SIxtasy
Was this guy the "Master Tech " at Jiffy lube or something like that?

for our honda dealer ship!

Zigen5
07-08-2003, 05:27 AM
I just got my Honda last month and I asked the dealer when the break it period was. They said there was no break it period as long as you don't rl and keep it under 80mph. I was like, sweet... I rl it once, but it was on accident. I love my little Blew monster.. :cool: