PDA

View Full Version : Got carbon monoxide poisoning in my EP

natesi
07-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Hello,

Has anyone else had this problem? A friend and I took a long trip and kept smelling burnt exhaust fumes when I would

SiRRider
07-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Well I have experienced the smell after I "goose it" but have never experienced health problems from it. I take many 4.5 hour drives a year. I would check all the seals in the hatch and maybe talk to honda about it and see what they have to say. I am 165 and my Girlfriend is 115 so we are not so lop sided as you where. Keep us posted I would like to know what happens. Good luck!

redronin22
07-06-2003, 06:06 PM
forgive me but wtf is goosing?

natesi
07-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by redronin22
forgive me but wtf is goosing?

Flooring it. But in my case, I wan't necessarily at redline--just flooring it in 5th on the freeway.

natesi
07-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by SiRRider
Well I have experienced the smell after I "goose it" but have never experienced health problems from it. I take many 4.5 hour drives a year. I would check all the seals in the hatch and maybe talk to honda about it and see what they have to say. I am 165 and my Girlfriend is 115 so we are not so lop sided as you where. Keep us posted I would like to know what happens. Good luck!

You're saying you have the smell after flooring it at freeway speeds, right?

redronin22
07-06-2003, 09:52 PM
the problem only occurs when u have a passenger? perhaps his hygiene is bad? *shrugs* j/k hehe

chubbychu
07-06-2003, 09:58 PM
hmm...sounds werid...maybe you SHOUld get a carbon monoxide detector to really know what it is....other than that there isnt anything that i know of to do.

chunky
07-06-2003, 10:18 PM
co2 is odorless.

maybe he was just farting a lot?

j/k. :D

ep pilot
07-06-2003, 10:23 PM
"He calls me Liver-neck and Rubber-neck" He said if he were there to recieve the call we could walk about the beaches and he would then rub sand all over my ass-neck......

-Sal Rossenburg

I would imagine "Goosing it!" would imply the following..

Putting your foot into it....

Opening it up

Full throttle

Stepping on the gas

(WOT) Wide open throttle

Funny even in Cali i have never heared of "Goosing it"

SinisterCivicSi
07-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by chunky
co2 is odorless.

#1 is true and #2 is a good possibility!
did it smell like burnt rubber?

glw
07-06-2003, 11:36 PM
natesi,

i found something peculiar during my search to reduce exterior noise from my cabin... i found these two little rubber vents (rear air outlets according to the manual) that have direct access to the cabin - one is directly over the exhaust and the other is in the other corner, both under the bumper cover. i covered the one over my exhaust and it seemed to quiet it down some...

here is a picture from the service manual with the vent circled in red... you might try removing the bumper cover and covering yours before your next trip (i used dynamat xtreme to cover mine because i had some left over ;) ).

http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/images/vent.gif

chubbychu
07-06-2003, 11:48 PM
makes one wonder what they are there for...

IceD out N CALI
07-07-2003, 01:02 AM
co2 is odorless.

haha:D

SIxtasy
07-07-2003, 02:00 AM
srtku

dchu
07-07-2003, 03:34 AM
I've heard those vents are for relieving cabin pressure, especially when you close the door. Have you ever been in an old car with the windows shut and your ears felt "plugged"? I have...

furious
07-07-2003, 04:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by natesi
[B]He weighs 360lbs, and I

EKthenEPnow
07-07-2003, 05:18 AM
that smell, could it be the Catalytic converter which usually gives off a putrid "Sulphuric smell" (a little like rotten eggs)

If so, than what it is giving off really shouldn't affect you.

Furthermore: Every hatchback on the face of the earth benefits/suffers from an Aerodynamic effect called the "kam effect" which explains the particular nature in which the air is affected at the rear of the vehicle (cause of the arrangement of the rear window and bumper on a hatchback, as opposed to having a trunk)

But I don't think this would help the exhaust fumes to flow back into the car?

blueiedgod
07-07-2003, 06:06 AM
did you have the recirculation button on? if so, next time let fresh air get into the cabin by un-doing the recirc button. The vents in the bumper are for "flow by" ventilation. By having your recirc on, you blocked fresh air intake.
Next time, open the recirc and tilt the sunroof, you should not be gettin CO in the car when it is in motion and the "Flow by" ventilation is not affected. It talkes about it in the manual in detail.
If that does not work, take it to the dealer and have them check the eaxhaust system for a leak.
If you have an aftermarket exhaust, it may also contribute to the CO leak.

CO - cabon mono-oxide is deadly
CO2 - carbon dioxide is not as deadly, at least it does not compete with O2 for hemoglobin affinity.
CO poisoning requires barometric chamber treatment for a few hours (8, I think) to rid the system of it.

BarracksSi
07-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Those vents are, as mentioned already, designed to vent cabin air. Nothing wrong with them. Actually, covering them might make an exhaust fume problem even worse.

Having a heavy passenger won't make enough of a difference to the chassis. Even if the chasis DID flex, the rubber seals are compliant enough to stay sealed.

The symptoms describe CO poisoning, that's for sure.

I've made a few road trips recently of over 6 hours each way, and haven't had any hints of CO in the cabin -- even with the recirc button engaged. Something's not quite right with your EP, so get it checked out.

styllinep3
07-07-2003, 08:16 AM
how many miles are you at . i remember a thread a few months back about this. i belive during the first 5000 miles this happens. its like a rotten egg smell. i experienced it with mine during the first 5000, after that it seamed to just go away and never came back, im at 14800 and havent had the problem since 5000. i think everyone else had this same experience.do a search youll get info on it . i think the smell is the cat breakin in

SinisterCivicSi
07-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
...The symptoms describe CO poisoning, that's for sure....

but carbon monoxide is oderless so he shouldnt have anything to worry about. thats why you need CO dectectors in your home for a fire because you cannot detect it and it also makes you sleepy. you fall asleep and never wake up. in case you wonder why some ppl can sleep in a fire....CO poisioning kills them.

BarracksSi
07-07-2003, 08:34 AM
True, CO by itself is odorless, so he wouldn't have smelled anything if it were just CO. I meant the symptoms that he & his friend felt (not the smell of the car) -- headaches, nausea, and a bit of tunnel vision -- were indicators of CO poisoning.

Since he said that they smelled something funky now & then, it's a further indication that there's an exhaust leak somewhere. After all, CO isn't the only thing coming out of the exhaust.

SinisterCivicSi
07-07-2003, 09:04 AM
i know you know what your talkin about barracks sweetie....plus i seriously doubt that you would have to worry about co leakin into your car, the dealers have so much crap and specifications the car has to go thru.....dealerships dont need anymore lawsuits... lol

EPHatchgirl
07-07-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by glw
natesi,

i found something peculiar during my search to reduce exterior noise from my cabin... i found these two little rubber vents (rear air outlets according to the manual) that have direct access to the cabin - one is directly over the exhaust and the other is in the other corner, both under the bumper cover. i covered the one over my exhaust and it seemed to quiet it down some...

here is a picture from the service manual with the vent circled in red...

http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/images/vent.gif

OK, from what I understand, these vents are to allow your airconditioning or heat to leave the hatch if you have it set on "fresh air" instead of recirculated. Is the smell like a rotten egg? Cuz I know our catalytic converters are notoriously stinky... some cars just have worse cat-smell than others... I would have to bet that is what this is.

EPHatchgirl
07-07-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by gabesilver02si
i think everyone else had this same experience.do a search youll get info on it . i think the smell is the cat breakin in

EXACTLY!!! Sorry man, didn't see your post.:)

BarracksSi
07-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
i know you know what your talkin about barracks sweetie....

awwww... lol

But really, though, I've never smelled exhaust from my EP (never did with my '86, either), and if I'm tired it's only because I've been awake for twenty-four hours. If I'm nauseous, it's either because I'm sick, or something I ate, or too much to drink (which would preclude driving anyway).

I sitll think that there's some exhaust leak somewhere. Tunnel vision is almost always from oxygen deprivation, which is part of the effect from CO poisoning.

SinisterCivicSi
07-07-2003, 09:56 AM
if you think about it thou, if he had his big ass friend in there suckin up all the fresh air, that would explain it to.

try using the fresh air button to allow fresh oxygen to come in....especially if you had your windows and sunroof closed, those things are all pretty tight.

plus you were sittin for a while, and starin at a road for a long time can give you tunnel vision (along with being tired).

TrippZ
07-07-2003, 09:57 AM
co2 is odorless.

co2 = carbon dioxide

carbon monoxide = CO

MON = singular

DI = double

Chemestry classes pwn j00

cbecker333
07-07-2003, 11:19 AM
co is odorless.

Yah, but it lives in exhaust and exhaust isn't odorless:p

cbecker333
07-07-2003, 11:21 AM
My car makes a sulfer-smelling fart when I have crappy gas (shell) and I get on it. It goes away with a bit of driving though.

natesi
07-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cbecker333
My car makes a sulfer-smelling fart when I have crappy gas (shell) and I get on it. It goes away with a bit of driving though.

Wow; thanks for all the replies!

I'll get this checked out. Although CO is odorless, it does smell when coming out of the exhaust.

Aside from what happens on the freeway, when I floor it around town and then come to a stop it smells like farts--the cooked sulfur smell. I thought this would go away, but I

IceD out N CALI
07-07-2003, 11:43 AM
i would guess that if u have the recirc button on you probably wont have that problem

natesi
07-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
i would guess that if u have the recirc button on you probably wont have that problem

I thought about that, but if the CO is leaking in the cabin via the rear hatch seal (on the freeway), then that wouldn't do any good, right?

Suk02Si
07-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by natesi

I thought about that, but if the CO is leaking in the cabin via the rear hatch seal (on the freeway), then that wouldn't do any good, right?

but it would eliminate any other factors:)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
07-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Man I better not go on any long trips with just me in the car, I might die. I gotta go find me a 350 lb friend to even things out.