PDA

View Full Version : Tire Weight Is Impotant Too

irrational
07-06-2003, 10:35 PM
i was thinkin bout getting Falken Zeix 512 based on their light weight alone. they are the lightest of all the tires that im looking at right now. they are also reasonably priced not like the next lightest, Toyo T1-S. people are so concerned about the weight of their rims they forget about the weight of tires duh... the tire is actually more important due to it being even further away from the center of rotation. here are some weights i got for 215-45-17:

Falken Ziex 512 - 19.8 lbs
Toyo T1-S - 20.1 lbs
Kumho Ecsta MX - 21.0 lbs
Nitto Neo Gen - 22.1 lbs
Dunlop FM901 - 22.3 lbs
Kumho Ecsta Supra - 23.0 lbs
Yokohama ES100 - 23.1 lbs
Falken GRB 451 - 24.3 lbs

questions / comments?

post more tire weights and the size of the tire.

SinisterCivicSi
07-06-2003, 10:39 PM
i have the falken ziex tires....mine are 215/40's i believe....super nice ride, very quiet.

IceD out N CALI
07-06-2003, 11:01 PM
I was curious if anyone had the weight of the stock tires

Suk02Si
07-06-2003, 11:38 PM
I heard the Ziex had crappy grip. I have the ES100's (stock size) and love them. Everyone else I know uses Azenis which are great tires. If the grip of the Ziex is as horrible as I hear they are, then saving a few lbs by getting them will be useless if you have no traction.

irrational
07-06-2003, 11:42 PM
true dat gary. i want the best of both worlds at a reasonable price. what have you heard bout the toyos?

SinisterCivicSi
07-06-2003, 11:42 PM
uh.......i have ziex and have never had a grip problem. i can go around exit ramps at 40-45mph with no issues.....never had a problem in the rain either. i am very happy with them

dchu
07-07-2003, 03:47 AM
Toyos have rank up there with Azenis, but they're expensive. They tend to have soft sidewalls which causes slower steering response and more frequent sidewall bubbling. This is probably the case with most light weight tires because a lot of the weight is saved by reducing reinforcements on the sidewall.

02SilverSiHB
07-07-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by dchu
Toyos have rank up there with Azenis, but they're expensive. They tend to have soft sidewalls which causes slower steering response and more frequent sidewall bubbling. This is probably the case with most light weight tires because a lot of the weight is saved by reducing reinforcements on the sidewall.
I hear ya. My steering response is killing me because of my toyo proxie fz4. And they really aren't that light...21lbs...215/45/17

ssvr6
07-07-2003, 04:46 AM
I have the AVS ES 100s too (215 45 R17) and they grip GREAT. As for weight, combined with the wheels weighed in at about 1lb less per corner.

Steve

EKthenEPnow
07-07-2003, 05:11 AM
I 've heard nothing but positive things about the YOKO's, I myself don't have the AVS ES (I run the Avid instead) .

If you really want to be weight conscience why not stick to 15 or at most do a 16.

For example, my setup:

15" Konig Helium = 10.7lbs(other wheels are another 2lbs lighter)
195/60/15 Yoko Avid Directional = 17.6lbs (not 100% sure on this)

Total = 28.3lbs
Factory = 38.6lbs - 40.4lbs (depending on who you talk to)

Thats a savings of at least 10lbs per corner!!!!!

Trust me when I say I can FEEL the difference.

If you were to do

regamaster Evo, CE28, TE37,Velox PG REv8,Sw388.

You would save another 2lbs per wheel

That would give you a total wheel/tire combo of 26lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D ;)

BlasTech
07-07-2003, 06:49 AM
I was a little concerned about this, but the benefits of good grip usually "outweigh" the 2-3 lbs you can potentially save on tires, while you can easily save 5-10lbs per corner with wheel choices. I'd say, yes, tire wieght is a factor, but only if you're already pushing it with heavy wheels, and you're not too concerned with "ultimate grip" summer tires.

My setup:

15" Konig Heliums: 10.7
205/50/15 Falken Azenis: ~22.5 lbs.

I notice the lighter weight and smaller diameter bigtime compared to stock.

chunky
07-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
I was a little concerned about this, but the benefits of good grip usually "outweigh" the 2-3 lbs you can potentially save on tires, while you can easily save 5-10lbs per corner with wheel choices. I'd say, yes, tire wieght is a factor, but only if you're already pushing it with heavy wheels, and you're not too concerned with "ultimate grip" summer tires.

My setup:

15" Konig Heliums: 10.7
205/50/15 Falken Azenis: ~22.5 lbs.

I notice the lighter weight and smaller diameter bigtime compared to stock.

I agree totally. the ziex are a horrible tire. The simply suck ass at autocross. to be honest, the only falken tire worth a damn is the azenis. the rest of them have shoddy grip, and tend to bubble.

The t1-s are expensive for a reason, they are one of the best wet/dry grip tires made. they are in the same performance class as the avs es100, potenza re730, s-03.

I personally run the avs es100's in 225/50/15 with the oz superleggera 15x7 combo. I saved something like 2lb a corner with the new wheel/tire combo versus bald stock tires, keep in mind that bald tires are about 3-5 lb lighter than the tires at full tread depth. So my actual weight savings was more like 5-7lb per corner even with significantly wider tires.

SinisterCivicSi
07-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by chunky
...the ziex are a horrible tire. The simply suck ass at autocross. to be honest, the only falken tire worth a damn is the azenis. the rest of them have shoddy grip, and tend to bubble.

well thats your opinion, i love mine, never had a problem with them. my buddy has had 2 sets on his 00 si also, and he drives like a freakin maniac - never had an issue, thats why he bought another set. he is also a mechanic, so i dont think he would buy a crappy tire. he has also put them on his girlfriends car. but like i said, your entitled to your opinion like i am of mine. ;)

BlasTech
07-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
but like i said, your entitled to your opinion like i am of mine. ;)

Exactly. It all depends on what you need the tire for.
If you use a track tire on the street, you'll be dissapointed at the noise, wear, and maybe wet traction.

Conversely, if you use a street tire on the track you'll have less grip.

Every tire has a payoff/sacrifice system between wet grip, dry grip, tread life, road noise, and price.

The key is to find the one that fits your driving lifestyle.

SinisterCivicSi
07-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Exactly. It all depends on what you need the tire for.
If you use a track tire on the street, you'll be dissapointed at the noise, wear, and maybe wet traction.

The key is to find the one that fits your driving lifestyle.

exactly......i hit repsond too dam quick....i was going to say that of course i dont autocross so i wouldnt know what tires were good/bad on that aspect. if you are lookin for a good autox tire then i am sure they are out there......and yeah, all weather street tires are probablly not going to be as good on autox as others.

whatever floats your boat i say! lol

Civicvtec1ps
07-07-2003, 09:50 AM
im running falken ze 512 (215/45/17 )
very nice tires. GOOD grip no problem here
overall i would buy it again. price is good too

irrational
07-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by EKthenEPnow
If you really want to be weight conscience why not stick to 15 or at most do a 16.

my whole reason for finding out out the best tire at the right weight/grip trade off is because i am stuck on getting 17s. the 17s i want weigh about 18.8 lbs. i refuse to go over a total weight of 40lbs. what about the Kumho Ecsta MX at 21 lbs.?

Nitto Tire - Neo Gen - Email
Thank you for taking the time to email us!

Any of our authorized dealers should be able to assist you with any pricing/sizing /availability/specification issues that you may have.

You can find a local Nitto dealer by using our dealer search at:

www.nittotire.com

If the dealer is unable to resolve the issue in a timely fashion, please feel free to contact us.

You can also try contacting Discount Tires Direct at www.discounttiredirect.com <http://www.discounttiredirect.com/> .

Please contact us if you have any more questions or comments.

Nitto Tire Customer Support
www.nittotire.com

Terra Grappler All Terrain (Now available!)

>Car : 2002 Honda Civic Si
>Comment : I wanted to know how much the Neo Gen tire 215-45-17 weighs. A tires weight is very important to me. Thanks

Nitto's way of answering my question is very disappointing. hopefully their tires are not! hahaha

irrational
07-08-2003, 12:10 PM
well after contacted discounttiredirect per nittos request i found out that the shipping weight for the NEO GEN in 215-45-17 is 22lbs. So i can only assume that the tire itself weighs less than that(minus packaging weight). so i again mailed nitto for the info since they need to know these things! and so do i!

im am really leaning towards the nitto neogens right now. any body have these? what are your thoughts?

added a tire to my list of 215-45-17:
Dunlop FM901 - 22.3 lbs

irrational
07-09-2003, 12:42 PM
finally somebody from nittos tech dept mailed me back! the NEO GEN in 215-45-17 weighs in ay a respectable 22.1 lbs. I think that i have made my decision. Go Nitto!!!

Nitto Neo Gen Website (http://www.neogentire.com)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
07-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Though my Kumho 712s may be a little overweight at 23 lbs, I could care less, cuz they perform great on the street and the strip, and for $89 shipped per tire you cant go wrong. Not to mention they're wearing excellent...very slowly!

My 17's are pretty light at just under 17 lbs so its still lighter than the factory 15" combo.

:)

trk
07-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Im running the ZIEX -- 225/50/16 -- on a rota rim ... and I autocross... I have beaten the shit out of those tires... and I love them.

Say what you will about them... I have finished faster than azenis based STS cars ... I dont see the azenis and the ziex being very different... the treadware on both is a lie... the 200 in the azenis is to get it STS legal... the 360 treadware on the ZIEX is to sell it to the general public who want long treadware... as far as I can tell they both are not correct... there is no way the ZIEX is that hard... mines peeling already... and the azenis are slicks in hiding.

IMO of course. :cool:

02SilverSiHB
03-03-2004, 05:45 PM
my yokohama es100's in 225/50/15 weigh 22lbs.

pedzola
03-03-2004, 08:50 PM
I have Falken Ziex 512's.... very happy w/these tires. Excellent wet traction. Great grip all around... nice quiet ride... me likey.

BlasTech
03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
I've moved up to a heavier (but still about 2.5 lbs less than stock), wider setup, and my times have only gotten better in autocross. Hard to say about straight line performance, since I never refined my skills at it.