PDA

View Full Version : why do i keep blowing subs?????

grooveline
07-07-2003, 07:43 AM
ok, i have a Lighting 250 amp going to a a 10" 300 lighting sub.... why have i gone through two of them in 6 months? anyone? anyone? same place gets bustes too, the butyle rubber surround.

EPHatchgirl
07-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Sometimes- and this is a shot in the dark- amps are overrated or underrated for their output. Perhaps that Lightning isn't giving you the full 250, so your sub is underpowered. Or, if it's underrated, it may be blowing your sub if you gain is up to high, and is actually putting out well over that 250 claimed. I know that can be really bad for subs... besides that, I haven't had any experience with LIGHTNING stereo stuff, so maybe an upgrade is in your future.

;)

Good luck though... hope I could help.

grooveline
07-07-2003, 02:20 PM
maybe... fug it, i'll just go buy another woofer.. something that can handle more powa...

and EPgirl... if you know of anyone needing pimpin.. you'll let me know right?

EPHatchgirl
07-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Ha HA HAHA!! ROTFL. Yeah man, you and ALL the other EP Pimps on here.:D :)

I recently switched from a 10" to a 12" sub, and I LOVE the difference. Have you ever considered that?

Speck
07-07-2003, 04:03 PM
See, I told ya bigger was better :) Wait til you go to 2 12"s :)

On the blowing subs issue.

1.) What ohm load is the sub seeing?
2.) What type of box is it is?
3.) What is your gain on your amp set to?
4.) What is you frequency cutoff set to?
5.) What headunit do you have and what is the output voltage?

I could go on and on, but let's start there.

Oh.... and just to say it... it IS a Lightning Audio.... they are not the greatest subs..... but.... not the absolute cheapest either.

I hope you are returning them via a warrantee... if not.... how much have you spent?

-=speck=-

grooveline
07-07-2003, 04:13 PM
i think my amp is 4 ohms while the speaker is 8 ohms..... or it could be vice versa man (psssssssssssttt..... coff, coff) i forget.

i don't want a 12, just a 10 for MY listening pleasure. besides (psssssssssst,coff coff) i don't want to rattle the crap out of my car.

sniperSI
07-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Is your amp xrossed over?

IceD out N CALI
07-08-2003, 04:54 PM
get like a jl w7. doubt you'll blow that one;) :D j/k

ViViDPeArL
07-18-2003, 11:11 PM
shady and half ass installs lead to a lot of blown stuff...i blew all my audiobahn crap that i had about a year ago...then again...audiobahn shit sucked and i know i can install good stuff :)

Si4U2NV
07-19-2003, 11:16 PM
if this is wha your setup lookz like...i think i myte know the problem... lolz...

;)

sorry...i know i know... im a whore...:p

-Mike