PDA

View Full Version : Reason to get aftermarket Shift Knob

Whoisray
07-07-2003, 12:21 PM
These last couple days have been pretty hot here in the Northeast. Since my car is black, it attracts more heat than other colors.

Well, I noticed that the OEM shift knob is very loose during hot days. Everytime I shift, I feel like the brass thread is ripping the knob apart. you can easily turn the knob in both directions without any force. Last night, I took it apart and noticed all the rubber inside the knob is coming apart.

has anyone else experienced this? Honda should have made metal on metal fittings.

TrippZ
07-07-2003, 12:26 PM
i got mine before the head took over Texas again :)

I'd recommend you get tint. i just noticed today what a difference it makes, I got into my car, i almost exploded from the heat. i got into an si with tint, and it wasnt even half as bad. and he has legal tint - im getting 20%!

IceD out N CALI
07-07-2003, 12:45 PM
yeah if you dont have tint already that would cut down on heat:)

RockEP_SS**
07-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Get a nice heavy shift knob, that should make shifting a lot smoother.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

PAsi
07-07-2003, 01:43 PM
can u recommend a good heavy shift knob that doesn't need to have the shift boot modified?

the JigGa mAn
07-07-2003, 02:33 PM
SKUNK 2

Civicvtec1ps
07-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by PAsi
can u recommend a good heavy shift knob that doesn't need to have the shift boot modified?
rsx optional 5 spees shiftknob.
buy mine!
jk:D

yakov456
07-07-2003, 06:57 PM
That sucks man. How long have you had your si. I hope its not like that for every si. I like my shift knob.

shimmy_yaz
07-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Yeah I can't wait to get tinted so I don't have to get in everyday and get a brand from my metal shift knob.

Whoisray
07-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by yakov456
That sucks man. How long have you had your si. I hope its not like that for every si. I like my shift knob.

I've had my car for only 2 months. I just think Honda should of made the fitting inside the knob metal instead of rubber.

02NJHondaep3
07-08-2003, 12:06 AM
at least you all dont have 12345 R printed on ur hands.

EPHatchgirl
07-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by 02nighthawksivi
at least you all dont have 12345 R printed on ur hands.

:eek:

It's prolly just me being tired, but that's friggin hilarious. I had a metal type R wanna be shift knob and got rid of it for that back in April!! I can't imagine how hot those things get know....

Brettnyt
07-08-2003, 12:19 AM
yep... Sparco stainless steel shiftknob... my hand has OCRAPS branded on it before i took it off and tinted my windows... The rubber/plastic adapter got butchered by mine so it wouldnt stay on tight... any reccomendations? it could easily pull off and could wobble back and forth atleast 1 inch

the JigGa mAn
07-08-2003, 01:53 AM
i just bought a mechanics glove from work (sears)...and it works fine..keeps my hand safe from the hot skunk 2...and they work as racing gloves too...keeps my hands griped on the wheel and prevents from my hand slipping on the shift knob during shifts...just my 2 pennys

cbecker333
07-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by RockEP_SS**
Get a nice heavy shift knob, that should make shifting a lot smoother.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

I got a weighted shift knob and then realized it was harder to shift precisely than the stock knob, because it didn't have enough surface area. If you do get a non-stock knob, make sure its got a decent, grab-able shape and isn't tons heavier than stock. I also think the extra weight may have contributed to issues I'm now having with chunky/clicky shifting - no way to prove that however.