PDA

View Full Version : BASS + SPACE solution

cmk05
07-07-2003, 01:42 PM
hello all -

finished gutting the ep, installed soundproofing (fatmat + jute), replaced speakers, installed small sub + amp and reassembled.

spent about 30 hours and $300 altogether, but i'd say it was well worth it!

when wiring the small sub - a small 8" qlogic truck box ($13 open box from best buy!) i initially put it in the hatch. took up a little room, but in our hatches, a little is a lot.

so i ran a 2nd set of speaker outputs (parallel) from the amp to just behind the driver seat where the sub fits nicely.

so located here, i can get good bass in the cabin and a massage seat! and in those rare occasions when i'm hauling 4 passengers, i can easily move the sub into the trunk or pull it out of the car altogether.

bass plus space - yay!

grooveline
07-07-2003, 02:22 PM
is your box sealed, or ported? can you provide me with some specs on your box? i have a trcuk style box, and i keep blowing speakers left and right.

cmk05
07-08-2003, 05:50 AM
I've got an 8" sealed truck style box with an old kicker driver. The box has, i think, an internal volume of .35ft3

The bass coming out of it is much, much tighter than when the driver was in its old home - a tube.

I'd like for it to be a bit boomier and am considering porting the box or adding a passive radiator or something. i'm going to have to do some research to figure out my options.

as far as blowing subs goes... do you play your music supa loud?

grooveline
07-08-2003, 08:02 AM
yes. when i listen to my house music, i sometimes have the volume cranked for more than 30 minutes..

IceD out N CALI
07-08-2003, 04:53 PM
not a bad idea. can you provide some pics so i can check it out?:)

SmoothOperator
07-08-2003, 06:29 PM
I've got a pair of these SPEAKERS.... (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,79,00.html)
Think I should put them in my EP, and run em off an amp?

cmk05
07-09-2003, 05:38 AM
i'll post pics when i have a chance to take some... lighting won't be good around here today - supposed to rain in the NE.

i'd guess those truck speakers would work ok to bolster the sound in your ep - and unless you sit with your seat all the way back AND heavily reclined, it should fit ok behind the driver seat.
i'm 6'1" and i've got plenty of room for my 8"er.
if yours sound too bright - and you don't have a sub crossover on your amp, you might want to disable to piezo horn tweeter on the box by unplugging em.

i would recommend everyone who hasn't already done so replace their factory speakers. they're muy cheapo - typeX sez that if you toss em in the air, they'd float away with the wind and he's absolutely right.

cheers.