PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 recommendations

downhil
07-07-2003, 09:52 PM
im planning on upgrading the speakers in the si. i haven't been in the audio loop in a few years so i was wondering if all the old standards still hold true. i want to get a component set for the front and just a pair of 6.5's for the rear. what do you guys recommend. i have my amps and sub lined out. orion xtr 2150 wired mono to an xtr pro 12 in a sealed box. i used to have a complete orion system with some ntense components and it rocked. whaddya think?

PhatBox
07-08-2003, 03:46 AM
I'm getting a set of Dynaudio 240 MKIIs for the front, dunno about the rear speakers yet...probably something cheap just for fill. Going to use Diamondaudio D7054 or the D5 600.4 depending on price. I am going for SQ and like the warm sound of Dynaudio. Used to have MB Quarts (PSD series) but found that those (even the QSD series) were a bit on the bright side. Let me know what you find. I am not 100% set yet. Still doing research on amps/subs

Zigen5
07-08-2003, 04:48 AM
Whats the difference between a component system and regular speakers? What do the component do? I know it has the speakers and the tweeters together. Is it suppost to sound better?

ssvr6
07-08-2003, 05:00 AM
I have the Rockford Fosgate Fanatic P components (3/4 swivel tweeter and 6.5) and 6.5"s in the back.

Components are made to where each speaker only produces a range of sound. In this case, the tweeters handle the highs and the 6.5 handle the mid to low. Compared to 1 speaker doing all 3 ranges.

This makes for a better distrubution and overall better sound.

Steve

BarracksSi
07-16-2003, 07:53 PM
The term "component speakers" in car audio usually means that the midwoofer & tweeter are mounted separately. The stock front speakers, by this definition, are component speakers. The other most common term is "separates", for obvious reasons.

Speakers that have the midwoofer & tweeter mounted in the same frame are nearly always called coaxial speakers because of how the two drivers share the same center axis. Three-way versions sometimes referred to as "triaxial".

Most of the time, component speakers will have an outboard crossover module. This is different from many coaxial speakers that simply run the woofer full-range and have a bass blocking capacitor to protect the tweeter.

There are some coaxially-mounted speakers that use an external crossover module in the same way as many component sets.

Silver Bullet
07-16-2003, 10:08 PM
I have Infinty 6.5 Kappa up front and 6.5 Reference in the rears. I love how it sounds.

si666
07-27-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Silver Bullet
I have Infinty 6.5 Kappa up front and 6.5 Reference in the rears. I love how it sounds.

Do you need a bracket to install the 6.5 kappa? I have a 2002 civic sedan b4 and the door was too narrow for kappas. Is this the case with the new si?

Zigen5
07-27-2003, 03:54 AM
Awhhhh.. Thanks.. :) I was going to go all Eclipse with my EP3 now I think I'm going to go all Kenwood Excelon. What do you guys think? I'm so confused on who I should go with.. :confused: :(