PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile SI with mods or RSX type-S?

MasterVTEC
07-08-2003, 01:19 AM
hey guys i'm going to the races with just AEM CAI with hondata flash and gasket! do you think i'll hang with a type S?

the JigGa mAn
07-08-2003, 01:48 AM
only one way to find out...run the S and tell us the results

Chrisbgft
07-08-2003, 05:41 AM
i ran at great lakes dragway against a type s. I have i/e w/ 17's and khumo ecsta's. I won by about 1/2 car length. I am a pretty damn good driver of the EP and he was a new driver. He should have one, just as if u race. U "SHOULD" lose..

AlBlueCar
07-08-2003, 02:33 PM
I beat my friend's type-s b/c his tires are even worse (believe it or not) than our stock tires, so he spun all the way through first, and chirped second and I was leading by a car and a half.

By the way, this was on a deserted country road at night with no one else on the road.

Suk02Si
07-08-2003, 02:45 PM
if you were to eliminate driver error, the ep will be ahead in 1,2, and mid 3rd. After that the S will take over. If you check out my dyno page I have my dyno vs a friend's rsx-s dyno.

HeelToePro
07-08-2003, 02:48 PM
No way dudes, I own a Type S. From my experience the Type S is the faster car. The EP will be ahead early in the race but the DC5 will eventually catch up towards the end. Yeah I lost a few races to EPs, but that was my fault, except the time the lane just ended and I was forced to brake...

It all depends on the driver and how your launch goes...if I launch fuc*ed up I will lose. If I launch somewhat decent I will catch and pass a EP as I hit VTEC in 3rd.

HeelToePro
07-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by AlBlueCar
I beat my friend's type-s b/c his tires are even worse (believe it or not) than our stock tires, so he spun all the way through first, and chirped second and I was leading by a car and a half.

By the way, this was on a deserted country road at night with no one else on the road.

Not true dude, my tires are so much better than the tires that came with my EP. EP tires are freaking biscuits!! My stock tires does the job okay, always could do better.

AlBlueCar
07-08-2003, 03:48 PM
I've driven both and you could launch at a higher rpm and have full traction with our tires than you can with the Type-S tires.
My friend and I took a DAY to test both sets of tires, and in the end, we decided that the Si obviously had better tires. In the Si, at a full throttle start, we could launch with little to no tire squealing at about 2700rpm. The Type-S had to be lauched at 2200rpm to prevent wheelspin. Because of the K20A3's better torque curve, it was able to take an early lead, but due to a lower rev limiter, the Type-S could catch up quickly. Also, because we wanted to prevent wheelspin and we lauched low, the Type-S dropped revs very quickly when the clutch was released, but due to shorter gearing and a more effective i-VTEC system, it could use more horsepower for a longer period of time and gain on the Si. But our torque curve gives us more power earlier, so , as the cliche goes, it ends up as a drivers race. (as long as the Si isn't stock:D )

Long post.:p

EP3_DC5
07-08-2003, 04:16 PM
:D
Ignorance owns you all!
No one that knows how to launch their RSX-S will launch at 2200 RPM. We all launch at 5200-5500 at our limiter. There are guys on clubrsx that were hitting 2.0 to 2.1 sec 60 ft times on STOCK tires (yes they do suck horribly). When we are on the gas, if you launch properly, you land in VTEC.. and that's where we make the 40 more HP....... high 14 sec car vs mid 15 sec car. Whatever. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I"m just saying how it is. If both people can drive very well, the RSX-S will win. There have been a few peeps that hit 14.7 to 14.8 bone stock. Trust me I have both. As much as I love the EP, it will lose to the RSX-S.

civic hatch boi
07-08-2003, 04:52 PM
typeS sure does sound a heck of a lot better.. roar~

AlBlueCar
07-08-2003, 10:00 PM
I was saying that the stock tires on a Type S offer less grip and squeal more readily than stock tires on an Si do. We were launching low to prevent wheelspin. That's why we don't launch at 5000rpm to goto "VTEC Land" (sounds like my kinda theme park:D ). But we both (my friend and I) agree that Si tires are better than Type-S.

Don't worry, that's not saying much for either set of tires:p

MasterVTEC
07-09-2003, 12:43 AM
iight guys thanks for the replies,

Im just saying which would win?

03' SI (M.S.R.P 19,400.00)
with Hondata flash ($600.00)
with hondata heatsheild gasket ($60.00) in case day is hot!
with AEM CAI ($200.00)
and important thing, Good DRIVER (ME!)

i have experiance in DRAG, went probably 7-9 times to the track
but.... this is first time with my ep3
all i have are these 3 mods so far. everty thing else is stock...
should i switch to donuts? or should i race with stock rims and tires that come with the ep3???

OR................................................ .............................

Stock RSX Type-S (M.S.R.P 23,000)
with okay driver?

let me know guys!!!!

02SilverSiHB
07-09-2003, 04:26 AM
you might be able to hand with a bad driver with no mods. I've seen type s hit 15.1 stock at the track and 13.9 with aem, some weight reduction, and hondata.

SiMPLE_SiMON
07-09-2003, 05:48 AM
If you plan on paying MSRP for an EP, than get the Type-S. I was just recently in the same situation and decided to get the EP for $17,000 instead of the Type-S for $22,000.

Now, if I had the option of getting a CTR (EP with Type-S engine and 6-speed tranny), I would have paid $22,000 for one in a second.

ssvr6
07-09-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by MasterVTEC

If you think 7 to 9 times is experience, I must be a pro. (200+ visits easy)

Seriously, it'll be close but my guess is the Type S.

Steve

EP3_DC5
07-09-2003, 06:37 AM
PRACTICE YOUR LAUNCHES!!! If you get a good launch and he doesn't know how to launch properly, you might win if you get enough of a jump. I know that a lof of the RSX guys don't know how to drive their cars. Just make sure the guy isn't a GREAT driver, or else you will lose.
The lower the speed you race until, the better chance you have (assuming he's not a good driver). If he's a good driver though, start thinking of excuses now.

iight guys thanks for the replies,

Im just saying which would win?

03' SI (M.S.R.P 19,400.00)
with Hondata flash ($600.00)
with hondata heatsheild gasket ($60.00) in case day is hot!
with AEM CAI ($200.00)
and important thing, Good DRIVER (ME!)

all i have are these 3 mods so far. everty thing else is stock...
should i switch to donuts? or should i race with stock rims and tires that come with the ep3???

OR................................................ .............................

Stock RSX Type-S (M.S.R.P 23,000)
with okay driver?

let me know guys!!!!

02SilverSiHB
07-09-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6

If you think 7 to 9 times is experience, I must be a pro. (200+ visits easy)

Seriously, it'll be close but my guess is the Type S.

Steve
yeah, I don't think 9 times is a lot :D Hell I've only been like 8 times myself. I know I'm not all that.

redronin22
07-09-2003, 06:51 AM
i need more hp! and more practice...

AlBlueCar
07-09-2003, 09:26 AM
What is the best lauch point for our cars? i.e. least wheelspin, most torque possible.
And clutch drop or modulate the clutch for a launch?

Sorry about the broken english-it's early.

cmk05
07-09-2003, 09:47 AM
i'm new to the whole honda scene and am wonder how the ep stacks up against others that came before it.

if the ep's 1/4 mi is approx mid 15's, then what are the approx times for:

integra type r / gsr / rs
prev gen civic si

what i like about our ep's is that it's unlike any other honda that came before it - with the high cowl and relatively big displacement.
-if the ep came with a different name and was released only in eu to compete with the focus, 206, megane, etc, i don't anyone would've been shocked.

it's a lot like a focus hatch, actually... every dimension is within 1 inch of it, 2.0i motor, 195/60/15 tires, tall, rally style stance, etc etc. (though a much better car in most ways)

JDMEP3
07-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Ok...I'm putting an end to the big tire debate because I have had both cars and quite frankly the Type S tires suck ass. Sorry to burst your bubble but that's the truth. Also in the heavy rain the Type S will start to hydroplane at 80-100 km. This becomes a BIG problem because of all the rain that the surrounding Vancouver Area gets and was one of many reasons why I got rid of it.

Peace

IceD out N CALI
07-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by redronin22
i need more hp! and more practice...

keep practicin so that instead of people seeing your headlights they see your taillights ;)

AlBlueCar
07-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Thank you JDMEP3, some one else who has tested the tires agrees, so I got that goin for me, which is nice.:D
Mebbe we should start a poll for this thread:eek:

JDMEP3
07-09-2003, 02:53 PM
lol.....AlBlueCar...a poll....that would be funny

:D

MasterVTEC
07-11-2003, 01:00 AM
hey guys i just got all my shiznits installed!!!!!!!! damyummmmmmmmmmmmmmm my car feels a whole lot different!

my ep3 feels torquey hahaha, seriously.. hondata much props kuzz my ep3 is ready to woop some ass on the track!!!!!! just with hondata, i think my car has like an extra 10-15 hp to the wheels.... thats what it feels like, and extra 20 pounds more of torque.... my rpm just races to redline when i barely press on the gas... i'm predicting 14.8 at the lowest 15.2 at the most!!!! if stock time is really mid 15's, im hopeing to break into high 14's

but people say stock time on 1/4 mile is 16.1, in that case im hopeing for 15.3 or lower!

go to the races guys! CA speed way in fontana, the 12th

THIS SATURDAY!@!@!!@!@!@!@

RMC22
07-11-2003, 06:37 AM
hey guys i just got all my shiznits installed!!!!!!!! damyummmmmmmmmmmmmmm my car feels a whole lot different!

my ep3 feels torquey hahaha, seriously.. hondata much props kuzz my ep3 is ready to woop some ass on the track!!!!!! just with hondata, i think my car has like an extra 10-15 hp to the wheels.... thats what it feels like, and extra 20 pounds more of torque.... my rpm just races to redline when i barely press on the gas... i'm predicting 14.8 at the lowest 15.2 at the most!!!! if stock time is really mid 15's, im hopeing to break into high 14's

but people say stock time on 1/4 mile is 16.1, in that case im hopeing for 15.3 or lower!

go to the races guys! CA speed way in fontana, the 12th

THIS SATURDAY!@!@!!@!@!@!@

Are you some new breed of troll? 10-15 hp at the wheels?? +20 ftlbs tq?? Settle down there, lad. Your car is still ssslllooowww.

MasterVTEC
07-11-2003, 10:49 AM
i was just sayin becuase thats how it feels,

PogoFX
07-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Ok...I'm putting an end to the big tire debate because I have had both cars and quite frankly the Type S tires suck ass. Sorry to burst your bubble but that's the truth. Also in the heavy rain the Type S will start to hydroplane at 80-100 km. This becomes a BIG problem because of all the rain that the surrounding Vancouver Area gets and was one of many reasons why I got rid of it.

Trivia from the aviation world. Tires hydroplane (in mph) at approximately 9 times the square root of the tire pressure.

Square root 30 psi = 5.5
5.5 x 9 = 49.5 mph
49.5/.62 = 80 kph

There's your 80 kph. Yes, tread design will affect this number, but its a starting point. Just a little trivia. hth