PDA

View Full Version : JDM Tail lights... are they amber?

beansbear
07-08-2003, 02:42 AM
I read someone here say the JDM tails aren't really amber at all they just look amber in certain angles in pictures. Is this true? Can someone with JDM tail lights confirm this?

modern-perf
07-08-2003, 03:02 PM
They have an amber section. If you look at the US lights you'll see that next to the reverse light there is a slight rectangular depression that wraps around to the side of the lens. In Japan, that depression is amber.

sniperSI
07-08-2003, 03:34 PM
I think that's how the red looks with a flash.

I do not think it's amber,

can we get a picture please?

I know there are a bunch of type R owners on this site come on!

Mugen_EP
07-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by sniperSI
I think that's how the red looks with a flash.

I do not think it's amber,

can we get a picture please?

I know there are a bunch of type R owners on this site come on!

It is amber. Here is a pic.

sniperSI
07-08-2003, 03:47 PM
ahhhhh how sexy.

golferjn
07-08-2003, 03:53 PM
nice

blackyEP3
07-08-2003, 03:54 PM
kinda neat but kinda insignificant to switch. Nothing wrong with the red ones we got. I bet those guys who have Type Rs would kill to have them just red and white.

modern-perf
07-08-2003, 04:44 PM
I bet those guys who have Type Rs would kill to have them just red and white.

I'd gladly trade mine for a set of the proper Type R lights :D

Mr.02BlackSIguY
07-08-2003, 05:13 PM
the amber light turning on... is that what it looks like with the headlights turn on? or is it that the turning signals. on jdm ctr... which is the turning signals and which are on when headlights are on? any one know? thanks

beansbear
07-09-2003, 12:35 AM
thanks for clearing that up for me :)

guess i will buy them after all instead of doing the mod.

StrangeShadow
07-09-2003, 02:34 AM
I'd gladly trade mine for a set of the proper Type R lights
hehe ditto:p

HgSi
07-20-2003, 01:47 AM
Pictures of lights can be deceptive, many times red ends up looking like amber. However, I have no question about the fact that the turn signals on the Type R are amber. I'm pretty sure non-amber turn signals are illegal in Japan. I know for sure they're illegal in Europe.

Anyway, although I really want amber turn signals, I'm not ready to dish out $300 for them. But maybe one day, I will, if decent-looking aftermarket lights don't come out for our car (and don't tell me about that APC crap; those look horrible). The way I think about it, turn signals should stand out, not blend in with the sea of taillights you typically see on a highway at night. Also, if you're in the lane next to, and slightly behind someone, and you see a red light go on in the back of the car, out of the corner of your eye, you wonder if he's about to sideswipe you, or if he's just tapping his brakes, until you turn your heas and look at his other taillight to see if it corresponds with the one that caught your eye. With amber turn signals, there is no question, and you can react instantly. On cars that have combo brake/turn signals (our car doesn't) it can be very disconcerting when the driver is signalling and tapping his brakes at the same time, so all you see is both sides of his car flashing randomly and out of sync. I saw this once on a truck and it took me a second or two to figure out what was going on. (Keep in mind that trucks don't have a centre brake light, so it makes everything that much more difficult to figure out.) The only thing you can do in that case is wait a few cycles of the turn signal and see which side is flashing regularly and which side is more random. Too much time when a split second might be enough to avoid an accident.

But besides the safety factor, red turn signals are so Chevy Caprice. Just don't look right on an import.

Anyway... about the comment that people in Japan probably wish they could have red turn signals... well, if they really want to, they can. All they have to do is put in a red bulb. It will show up red even through an amber lens. Unfortunately for us, the reverse is not the case. If you put an amber bulb behind a red lens, it will still show up red. :( All-in-all, I really don't understand why Honda decided to give us red turn signals. What's the point of manufacturing two different styles of taillights? Doesn't it cost them more that way? Oh well.

Every time I post, I go on a rant. I don't know why. Sorry, guys. :)

beansbear
07-20-2003, 01:53 AM
maybe honda will change the tails to amber for 2004?

they always do some small cosmetic change to their cars during the junior and senior years...

redronin22
07-20-2003, 09:14 AM
you guys are so funny. This is just an issue of things that we dont have we want. Before it was all the rage to get rid of the amber. now u guys want it back in? Haha. I guess its just a pursuit of the JDM rage. Well i got my headlights not cus it loses amber but because its smoked chrome an smoked chrome is damn sexy. hehe. Guess im a Jdm whore too. :confused:

IceD out N CALI
07-20-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by beansbear
maybe honda will change the tails to amber for 2004?

they always do some small cosmetic change to their cars during the junior and senior years...

that is a realistic possibility. It will be that mid generation "refresh" year so we'll see if they do anything or not