PDA

View Full Version : Malfunction light on after header install???

SOUTHPAW
07-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Went up to Honda today to get my DC stainless 4-2-1 polished headers installed. Everything went ok, the car drives excellent, and I can really feel the gain. The only thing is that my malfunction light is on, on my dash. After I noticed that the light was on I went back to the dealership and they put it on the computer. They said that it's my o2 sensor. They said its not going to hurt my car or anything like that, but the reason it's on is because the sensors are set up for the stock exhaust, and that I have pretty much a free flowing exhaust(which I knew already). I would really like to get the light off. When I got home, I disconnected the battery terminals and then reconnected them and turned the car on. I let it sit there and idle in hopes that it would reset or adjust my ecu, but it didn't work and the light is still on. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if so what did you do. My mods so far are an AEM short ram intake, a Greedy catback, and DC headers. This light was never on before with just the intake and cat. exhaust. The honda tech guy said it could be a faulty sensor, but why would it come on after the header install, and not come on after I put my other mods on. I just want that damn light to go out, and know that my computer is fine. Any help would be well appreciated. By the way, Out of all my mods, I think you can really feel the difference with the headers the most. Great investment!!!!

STP03BlueSI
07-08-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by SOUTHPAW
They said that it's my o2 sensor. They said its not going to hurt my car or anything like that, but the reason it's on is because the sensors are set up for the stock exhaust, and that I have pretty much a free flowing exhaust(which I knew already).

Ok if the they state it is a bad sensor y didnt warrenty cover it?

fishboy
07-08-2003, 01:38 PM
i have ihe and i don't have any light. the light should not come on because you have a "free-flowing" exhaust. that is crap. something else must have happened during the install. have them check it out. tell them it shouldn't be on because of your mods. if you had a testpipe then yeah sure you will get a CEL, but not with the mods you have. check to see if the sensors are on tight. you may have knocked one loose or something.

SiRRider
07-08-2003, 01:40 PM
It has to be the O2 sensor buddy. They are very sensitive and if they did the work they probably damaged it and are trying to get out of replacing it. My buddy had the same prob with his civic(not a EP) and they had to replace it. They may have put heat on the old manifold to get it off??? Your car will not work as good with a faulty O2.

Suk02Si
07-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Maybe they just forgot to plug it back in:o

Go under and see if its plugged in. Not the probe that goes into the cat, but the small harness that is wedged up to the left of the header.

SOUTHPAW
07-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. When I get up tommorow I'll check the sensor(maybe take it out and put it back in). The thing about it though, is my car is not lagging at all, The damn thing hauls when I get on it. It's driving better than it ever has before(speed, torgue, etc...) Hopefully, I can fiddle around with the sensor and get that damn light to go off, because it's really starting to get under my skin. I'll let ya'll know tomorrow how it goes. PEACE....

siver-SI
07-08-2003, 06:25 PM
With the O2 I bet they got something in the tip that made it go bad. You can not even touch the tip with your finders because the oil in then will cause premature falure of the O2 sensor. When I was trading in a car to get the engine light off I took a screwdriver and tapped on the O2 sensor and then reset the ECU. This would work for about a week but made the car look better for trade in with out the engine light on. I did try with out taping in and just resetting the ECU but that did not work.

Suk02Si
07-08-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by SOUTHPAW
Thanks for the replies. When I get up tommorow I'll check the sensor(maybe take it out and put it back in). The thing about it though, is my car is not lagging at all, The damn thing hauls when I get on it. It's driving better than it ever has before(speed, torgue, etc...) Hopefully, I can fiddle around with the sensor and get that damn light to go off, because it's really starting to get under my skin. I'll let ya'll know tomorrow how it goes. PEACE....

oh no, the probe is probably okay, but follow the wire up to the harness. They may have just forgotten to plug it back in.:)

SinisterCivicSi
07-08-2003, 09:41 PM
this raises a question with me. i have seen more and more members post on how they had their dealer install their aftermarket parts. how much did they charge you? is their any benefit to them doing it (i.e. warranty issues or whatever).
did they give you a bunch of lip for putting on aftermarket parts? just curious.

ALCT
07-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
this raises a question with me. i have seen more and more members post on how they had their dealer install their aftermarket parts. how much did they charge you? is their any benefit to them doing it (i.e. warranty issues or whatever).
did they give you a bunch of lip for putting on aftermarket parts? just curious.
I was wondering the ssame thing, I have two Honda dealers in my area and when I asked them they both refused to install aftermarket parts on my car.

TrippZ
07-09-2003, 12:06 PM
they wanted $80 an hour.

i told them to fuck off. plain and simple.

PAsi
07-09-2003, 12:47 PM
the reply i got from my dealer simply said "we don't do that because it will void the warranty"