PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Steering Wheel?

03BlueEP3
07-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Hey, I wanna change my steering wheel to the Sparco Lap3 Wheel. I was wondering if anyone has changed their wheel and if they did were they able to get their horn to work?
Here is a pic of the wheel.
http://www.sparcousa.com/images/153.jpg

Mugen_EP
07-08-2003, 11:56 PM
I swapped to a JDM CTR wheel and horn works. I dont believe the horn will be an issue.

PAsi
07-09-2003, 07:25 AM
what about the whole airbag issue? dont you guys think it's necessary or isn't it a daily driver? and how do you go about taking it off withouth the airbag deploying?

Mugen_EP
07-09-2003, 08:38 AM
My car is a daily driver but I dont feel that an airbag is that important. If I am in such a bad accident to where an airbag would have made a difference then that means my car is toast and I would rather just go with it.;) To take out the airbag without it deploying just disconnect your battery but still be very careful with it.

PAsi
07-09-2003, 09:04 AM
if you want, can you reinstall it again and have the airbag work, say if you wanted to sell it for some totally weird reason. and i guess u dont really have to let your insurance company know that you dont have an airbag, lol.

Civicvtec1ps
07-09-2003, 09:16 AM
isnt it illegal to get rid of stock airbags?

Mugen_EP
07-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
isnt it illegal to get rid of stock airbags?

Yes but who actually looks to check to make sure you have airbags?

jerky
07-09-2003, 10:37 AM
is it hard to take the steering wheel off? i have been wanting to change mine out. plus does anybody know if i have to buy the hub if i get a spoon steering wheel? what is the purpose of this hub? do i have to use the spoon one? is it "quick realease?" sorry for all the questions, just trying to get educated.

jerky
07-09-2003, 10:39 AM
some other questions. since the spoon steering wheel is momo will the momo quick release work? it should right? does this mean i don't have to get the spoon hub?

todaCspec
07-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by jerky
some other questions. since the spoon steering wheel is momo will the momo quick release work? it should right? does this mean i don't have to get the spoon hub?

Yep, MOMO hub and MOMO quick release will work w/the Spoon steering wheel.

Mugen_EP
07-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by jerky
is it hard to take the steering wheel off? i have been wanting to change mine out. plus does anybody know if i have to buy the hub if i get a spoon steering wheel? what is the purpose of this hub? do i have to use the spoon one? is it "quick realease?" sorry for all the questions, just trying to get educated.

The Steering wheel is very easy to remove. First remove the two screws holding on the Cruise Control module. Then pop off the cover on the left side of the steering wheel. There is a Torx bolt on each side unscrew and unplug horn & Cruise Control and enjoy.;)

03BlueEP3
07-09-2003, 11:37 AM
To make life eaiser on everyone I called up Spacro today. Here is what the guy had to say:

Q: Once I replace the steering wheel how do I go about getting the horn to still work?

A: The main problem is on airbag cars the horn is integrated into the airbag and all the wires are joined together. Basicly what you have to do is run the wires so that when you press the button its grounds out and then the horn will work. It is eaiser said then done. To be honest our horn dosen't even work on OUR sponsored Civic SI. We are in the process of comming up with a system to get the horn button to work on airbag cars. Don't get me wrong there is away to do it now with either a relay or custom wiring but we are trying to come up with a way that you just plug and play. If you take it to know well know electroncs shop that knows a thing or two about wiring they should be able to do it with no problem.

That is the response I got from Sparco USA.

Mugen_EP
07-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Wow I must know a thing or two about wiring because I got my horn to work without a problem. I surprised Sparco couldn't get theirs to work properly.

jerky
07-09-2003, 12:00 PM
sweet thanks guys.:)

jerky
07-09-2003, 12:06 PM
shit more questions, so i need the hub to get the steering wheel on. so that means i can use the normal momo hub instead of the 100 spoon jdm-sweet hub, right? cool. i don't want to pay the additional 100 bucks for that thing. does the quick release replace the entire hub assembly or do i need both a hub and the quick release?

03BlueEP3
07-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
Wow I must know a thing or two about wiring because I got my horn to work without a problem. I surprised Sparco couldn't get theirs to work properly.

Can you please post a pic of the CTR wheel. Does the CTR wheel have an airbag?

Sparco said they can do it but they are trying to make a plug and play kit so that people won't have any problems with it. They said because it is jsut like a "show" "demo" car that isn't driven too much they are worried about the horn!

Mugen_EP
07-09-2003, 03:30 PM
It does have an airbag but it is single stage as opposed to the US spec dual stage so the connections are different. Which means I have no airbag

03BlueEP3
07-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Intresting .... what kind of wiring did you have to do to get the horn to work?
-Thanks

02TafWhtSi
07-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Q: Isn't the CTR steering wheel the same as ours?

And if it is, why would anyone want to swap it out!? It feels and looks like it came from a freakin racecar IMO :p

Mugen_EP
07-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
Q: Isn't the CTR steering wheel the same as ours?

And if it is, why would anyone want to swap it out!? It feels and looks like it came from a freakin racecar IMO :p

Basically there are a couple differences.

1) The red "H"

2) Momo branded in the center.

3) Stiching has two parallel lines instead of one cross stiched line.

4) The stiching stops where your hands rest (which makes more sense then the stock Si) instead of stiching all the way through to the end.

5) No Cruise Control module but it can be added.

Oh and basically the wiring for the horn is remove for stock wheel and place it on CTR wheel. It has the same connection.

03BlueEP3
07-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Where did you get it from and how much was it?
-Thanks

Mugen_EP
07-09-2003, 07:17 PM
I got it off e-bay for like $480 and sold my stock for $320 if I remember correctly.

You can find one here.

http://aj-racing.com/JDM-EP3.html also www.jdmhondaparts.com

03BlueEP3
07-09-2003, 07:26 PM
That is exactly what I was gonna do get the Sparco one I posted in the begging of this thread and then sell my stock one and make money on it!

StrangeShadow
07-11-2003, 02:08 AM
The Steering wheel is very easy to remove. First remove the two screws holding on the Cruise Control module. Then pop off the cover on the left side of the steering wheel. There is a Torx bolt on each side unscrew and unplug horn & Cruise Control and enjoy.
sweet, I should do this every night!!! I just need a way to develope a quick release yep. :) ...if I do this I would need to unplugg the battery though, right?

Mugen_EP
07-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow

sweet, I should do this every night!!! I just need a way to develope a quick release yep. :) ...if I do this I would need to unplugg the battery though, right?

Yes, you would need to disconnect the battery.

Luciferi
07-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 03BlueEP3
That is exactly what I was gonna do get the Sparco one I posted in the begging of this thread and then sell my stock one and make money on it!

How much do you want for your stock one?

03BlueEP3
07-12-2003, 06:55 AM
Make me a good offer ... do you want the airbag or no?

StrangeShadow
07-14-2003, 02:08 PM
It does have an airbag but it is single stage as opposed to the US spec dual stage so the connections are different. Which means I have no airbag
plus it says momo :p
I believe you can actually order just the 'ring' part of the wheel that says momo from fizz hehe for real jdm nuts:p

2QK4U ALLWAYS
07-15-2003, 05:40 AM
My question is what you do with the cruise control or you guys have not relocated it I have a Momo steering wheel from my old car but I want the cruise still cant it be relocated maybe to the left hand side pocket under the cup holder all answers appreciated thanks in advance

03BlueEP3
07-15-2003, 06:59 AM
You can put it anywhere. You may have to extend the wiring but im sure will alittle imagation you could put it just about anywhere.

Mugen_EP
07-15-2003, 07:48 AM
Actually the wires for the cruise control are on the spindal(so they dont get twisted when the wheel turns) so I think it would be difficult to relocate it. I never use my CC so I just left it off.

fishboy
07-15-2003, 09:52 AM
try mounting it on the dash somewhere.

StrangeShadow
07-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Yes, you would need to disconnect the battery.
kinda makes it not worth the trouble, then i would have to also enter the radio code and crap after disconnecting the battey.

Mugen_EP
07-15-2003, 02:17 PM

kinda makes it not worth the trouble, then i would have to also enter the radio code and crap after disconnecting the battey.

lol....the radio code is only 5 digits and you just need to resave your stations. No biggie.:D Unless there is something else I am unaware of....:o

StrangeShadow
07-16-2003, 01:08 AM
lol nothing I'm aware of, I'm just lazy haha I'll probably figure it all out tomorrow and try it.

stephen
07-17-2003, 08:57 AM
yeah, upgrade to a red "H" with different stiching and no airbag for $160. that sounds like a deal to me.

Mugen_EP
07-17-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by stephen
yeah, upgrade to a red "H" with different stiching and no airbag for $160. that sounds like a deal to me.

Typical non-JDM fan....thats fine I dont expect everyone to like it but ask anyone who is into JDM products and they would happily ditch the stock steering wheel if they could pick up a JDM CTR wheel for $160. So yes is was quite a deal.

Luciferi
07-17-2003, 11:35 AM
There was a post on clubrsx (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40444&perpage=25&highlight=jdm%20airbag%20rivets&pagenumber=1) where a person drilled out the rivets on the airbag covers and swapped them so the jdm cover was on the us airbag. something you may want to look at so you can have the jdm look but still function

Mugen_EP
07-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Luciferi
There was a post on clubrsx (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40444&perpage=25&highlight=jdm%20airbag%20rivets&pagenumber=1) where a person drilled out the rivets on the airbag covers and swapped them so the jdm cover was on the us airbag. something you may want to look at so you can have the jdm look but still function

I debated doing this but I am not a fan of airbags. I have been in two cars when they went off in a minor accident. They didnt do a damn thing besides scare the shit outta me, blind me, crack the windshield, made a mess, made the car smell, and then had to fill the hole that the airbag ripped in the dash. If there was a no-airbag option I would jump all over it.

I hate airbags!!:mad: Maybe if they weren't so damn sensitive I would have a different view. I can understand the need in a major crash but not no fender benders.

StrangeShadow
07-17-2003, 11:50 AM
HEY!!! you forgot it says "MOMO" Beeeeeeeaaaaacchh!!!
[I'ld hit it for 160 :thumbsup: tony]

Mugen_EP
07-17-2003, 12:13 PM

HEY!!! you forgot it says "MOMO" Beeeeeeeaaaaacchh!!!
[I'ld hit it for 160 :thumbsup: tony]

lol...Thanks Strange..:D