PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to have all this on your car?

PAsi
07-09-2003, 07:57 AM
I was wondering what all this would do: a front and rear strut tower bar, and a front and rear lower tie bar? Would it be dumb to have all this or do you only need certain ones? Thanks guys, i'm really tryin to turn my car into a mean handling machine!

chunky
07-09-2003, 10:47 AM
front strut braces are the most important chassis brace you can get.

the next most important would be an x brace for the underbody up front.

The rear bars are not that critical as there really isn't that much weight on the rear wheels to begin with. The only brace you need in the rear is the rear lower tie bar.

02SilverSiHB
07-09-2003, 11:21 AM
it depends on what you want. Some people like to go stiffer in the rear...rear tie, rear strut bar, rear sway to get more oversteer, since we suffer from understeer.

PAsi
07-09-2003, 11:26 AM
are you always gonna have oversteer or understeer or is there a way to get "neutral" as people put it?

EPHatchgirl
07-09-2003, 11:46 AM
5 stars for great info!
Thanks!!!:)

jerky
07-09-2003, 12:50 PM
i have a front strut bar and i want to get a cross bar for the front aswell. i have a rear strut bar and lower tie put in, and some shocks and rear sway coming in pretty soon. i'd like to get my car as stiff as i can get all around. the front strut bar felt nice. no front sway purchase for me though.

here is a cool little breakdown of oversteer and understeer tuning in this site.

http://platz.com/pca/germany/blatt/Blatt%208.htm

Burgh
07-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by PAsi
Thanks guys, i'm really tryin to turn my car into a mean handling machine!

You're going to convert the Si into RWD?? :eek: :D j/k

For more neutral handling, keep the stock front sway and get a larger rear sway. Maybe a progress or ctr 22mm bar. Get some new springs and adjustable shocks and play around with the settings (stiffer in back for more oversteer to counter understeer).

PAsi
07-09-2003, 01:04 PM
i'm just gonna get the front and rear strut bar, the front and rear tie bar, the X brace, and springs. that should help out a little, lol. too bad spoon doesn't make a cross brace yet.

BlasTech
07-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Some folks say they're going to add a so-and-so to get more oversteer, but what they mean is to get less understeer...meaning more neutral rotation, not actual oversteer (though in certain conditions you can make the stock Si "oversteer")

PAsi
07-09-2003, 01:23 PM
how do you think it would behave if i added front and rear tie bar, front and rear upper strut bar, cross brace, and Spoon Progressive springs?

02SilverSiHB
07-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Some folks say they're going to add a so-and-so to get more oversteer, but what they mean is to get less understeer...meaning more neutral rotation, not actual oversteer (though in certain conditions you can make the stock Si "oversteer")
right, thanks for clearing that up :D

02SilverSiHB
07-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by PAsi
how do you think it would behave if i added front and rear tie bar, front and rear upper strut bar, cross brace, and Spoon Progressive springs?
I would go for the front strut bar, rear tie bar, rear rsx sway bar, cross brace, and the springs you mentioned. I feel that would be a good setup for everyday driving...which is me :D Don't waste the cash on the rear strut bar, I have one and it isn't worth imo

fishboy
07-10-2003, 10:46 AM
i would do everything but the front sway bar.

Quicksilver
07-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Chassis stiffening isn't going to be where you feel the most performance for the dollar. Go with tires, springs, and rear sway bar first. For $20, you also might consider getting the Neuspeed urethane sway bar bushings. They should be a good compliment to a rear sway bar upgrade, since most come with urethane bushings. After that, consider firming up the chassis. My recommendations would be Neuspeed x-brace and front upper strut bar.

Just my two cents worth....

glw
07-11-2003, 06:20 PM
wasn't gonna say anything because i don't know if it's all needed, but i have eibach sportlines, progress sways, and neuspeed upper stb's and it handles great at the autox's and rides great on the street...

not too low and low enough to not look stock... quite stiff but you don't lose the fillings in your teeth.

i would comment more on the understeer/oversteer issue but i'm still learning the details of performance driving at speed.

styllinep3
07-22-2003, 10:32 AM
i have all 3 and wouldnt trade them for anything. after i lowered it i wasnt to happy with handling so . i got a full sturt bad set up just need a xx brace and im done. ill tell you it handles so good now i cant get it to leave the road when i try to and thats with stock shocks. after i get konis look out lol

g